Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crime and Punishment

Blog Entries

Re: Crime and Punishment

Being a relative newbie, I'm sure I won't be missed by many when I go from the forum (by choice or otherwise), nor will "just one more" affect the stats very much, but here are my two penneth anyway.
    I think that unless owners/moderators can learn to stick by their own rules when posting as normal participants, they shouldn't post as normal participants at all.
    It's the inconsistency that annoys me.
    OK, I break the rules too, but you're not paying for me to use the forum, I'm paying to use it.
    Here's a few examples of the inconsistencies that I've found annoying recently:

Moderators can take a thread off topic one minute, then hand out warnings to others who do the same.

Someone makes light of one of Francks comments, Franck responds with a scathing review of their misdemeanors. Someone makes a serious complaint about the running of the forum, Franck makes a joke out of it. Sense of humour only when it suits?

Some people get infractions and warnings based on complaints by other members, seemingly with the moderator assuming that the complainer is correct and not bothering to check the facts before acting. Yet, comments blatantly having a go at another member are ignored because no complaint is made.

I'm not saying I could do things any better than you guys, mostly you do a great job, but the rules should apply to everyone equally and should not be affected by whether a person is new, experienced, popular or holds a position of authority.

I feel better now I've got that off my chest.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Moderators can take a thread off topic one minute, then hand out warnings to others who do the same.
    We're all guilty of this, I'm afraid

But, to be clear, there's nothing inherently wrong with going off-topic, and it certainly shouldn't be a subject of any warnings. Conversations develop, and mutate, and that's fine.

If a thread goes too far off-topic, we'll attempt to split it to keep focus; this helps people who are interested in the original topic, and people who are interested in the new topic.

Someone makes light of one of Francks comments, Franck responds with a scathing review of their misdemeanors. Someone makes a serious complaint about the running of the forum, Franck makes a joke out of it. Sense of humour only when it suits?
    Well, he is French, you know.

Some people get infractions and warnings based on complaints by other members, seemingly with the moderator assuming that the complainer is correct and not bothering to check the facts before acting. Yet, comments blatantly having a go at another member are ignored because no complaint is made.
    We don't review every post - we can only really focus on the ones that get reported. Which is why we strongly encourage people to report posts that may cause concern.

It's always a judgement call, and we can get things wrong - well, when I say "we", I mean all the others, I'm perfect - but any "official warning" action gets discussed between moderators before action is taken.

Any suggestions for improving the system are always welcome, of course.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some people get infractions and warnings based on complaints by other members, seemingly with the moderator assuming that the complainer is correct
    I'm sorry Gav but this simply 'isn't' the case, we've had plenty of complaints about all sorts of things and yes, we probably err on the side of caution and even if 'we' don't entirely agree with the complaint, we'll inevitably still email the person involved, making them aware that they have caused someone offence.

not bothering to check the facts before acting.
    I don't think we've made many mistakes well I hope not.

And please let me point out, if there's ever any evidence to prove the complaint to the contrary, we are ALWAYS willing to listen and if necessary we will act as mediators, as well as moderators, to smooth out any misunderstandings between forumites! (well 'I' will anyway )

Yet, comments blatantly having a go at another member are ignored because no complaint is made.
    As I've said before, we don't get round to reading 'everything,' at least 'I' don't, so its difficult to spot something, unless it gets reported!

Also, its difficult to make a judgement as to who's offended by what. Ironically, some of the people who I wouldn't expect to be easily offended, often are.

I didn't actually read 'this' thread until about 4 posts ago!

I do get disheartened and feel like we take one step forward and two steps back sometimes!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    We're all guilty of this, I'm afraid

But, to be clear, there's nothing inherently wrong with going off-topic, and it certainly shouldn't be a subject of any warnings. Conversations develop, and mutate, and that's fine.

If a thread goes too far off-topic, we'll attempt to split it to keep focus;
    If it makes you feel better Gav, I told DJ off only yesterday and requested that he split a thread that 'he'd' taken off topic!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Just my thoughts/experiences so far. I accept that I only see part of what goes on.

I'm not saying I could do things any better than you guys, mostly you do a great job
    Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    If it makes you feel better Gav, I told DJ off only yesterday and requested that he split a thread that 'he'd' taken off topic!
    Yes it does, thanks.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Being a relative newbie, I'm sure I won't be missed by many when I go from the forum (by choice or otherwise), nor will "just one more" affect the stats very much, but here are my two penneth anyway.
    Active posters are always missed, if you go my posts will seem less intelligent overall.

I think that unless owners/moderators can learn to stick by their own rules when posting as normal participants, they shouldn't post as normal participants at all.
    Moderators ARE normal participants - this is an informal forum not the bleedin U.N. So they do some tidying up stuff too, big deal - I'M not impressed

Here's a few examples of the inconsistencies that I've found annoying recently:

Warnings ? I have been known to take a thread of topic at least..um..6 times, but Ive never had a warning for it. When did this start? or are you making it up ?

Someone makes light of one of Francks comments, Franck responds with a scathing review of their misdemeanors.
    Thats how YOU read the situation, but does anyone else agree. Give us the example so we can judge.

Someone makes a serious complaint about the running of the forum, Franck makes a joke out of it. Sense of humour only when it suits?
    Again, only your view of it. Franck has never been overly serious about the forum, and doesn't think its Voltaire, he does try to get that message across. I always thought he was consistent in this but maybe I'm wrong maybe others do think he takes it too serious and is overly heavy handed. Anyone agree?

Some people get infractions and warnings based on complaints by other members, seemingly with the moderator assuming ..
    "seemingly assuming"? , so probably not then

Yet, comments blatantly having a go at another member are ignored because no complaint is made.
    Well if the member who is receiving the "go" cant justify acomplaint its a safe assumption they are not that bothered.

I'm not saying I could do things any better than you guys, mostly you do a great job, but the rules should apply to everyone equally and should not be affected by whether a person is new, experienced, popular or holds a position of authority.
    Could it be that you are talking about certain people who happen to be fairly new ? Maybe if they posted non-inflammatory posts no one would have any issues - like the other 99% of the forum who managed fine without controversy for 6 years

Thread Information