Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Funky Lush

Re: Funky Lush

I got there late (10pm) after our car broke down on the M25 and we had a cold 90 minutes in police provided silver blankets on the hard shoulder (the policeman looked too young to have reached 6th form btw - I am old now) before it was fixed.

I also went in my usual disguise of chefs trousers so that no one would know who I am.

I do know that Funky Lush is so very different from the majority of the other MJ events that it is going to be something you either love or hate. I have been to a few of the FL events when they were at Southhall and one at Burnham and a lot of the music I find very challenging (along the lines of - what the hell am I supposed to do with this). But being someone that spends the whole weekend in the blues/WCS/chill room of weekenders, slower, more expressive and interesting music is my spice in an otherwise dull MJ scene.

However

I found the music at FL dull, even to the point of boring me. It reached a point when I was dancing with a really fantastic follower and she suggest we dance the next track as well and I had to tell her that the music was not saying a thing to me. It was different to a normal MJ night but I found the music uninteresting within itself.

I returned to my partner, hoping she was having a better night than me to be met with the question "can we leave?" and me to reply "oh, yes please".

I don't know if the music that Toby plays has changed so much since my last visits to FL or if our tastes in music has changed since more involvement in WCS and cha cha. I do feel that our tastes and Tobys' have diverged but I think Toby should stay with his vision of the music he wants to present. Some will like it, some new people will come to like it, and some, like me will like it and then its' attraction will fade away.

It's really pity to have something like Funky Lush move closer to where you live only to find that I have moved away from it.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Both you and Gav graciously accepted my request for a dance. It would have been nice to be asked for a dance in return at another point in the evening, but given that there were so many ladies over I can understand that may not have been possible.

I rather enjoyed having the opportunity to chat with some of my fellow followers - it's not often one gets the chance it it's too busy.

M
    Were you in Red?

Was abit hard esp as I came with about 6 women and couldn't overly abandon them to dance with everyone else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Both you and Gav graciously accepted my request for a dance. It would have been nice to be asked for a dance in return at another point in the evening, but given that there were so many ladies over I can understand that may not have been possible.

I rather enjoyed having the opportunity to chat with some of my fellow followers - it's not often one gets the chance it it's too busy.

M
    Well I didn't have one bad dance all night (from my point of view anyway ) and I'm sorry I didn't get around to asking you. I'm afraid I'm not very good at remembering to introduce myself and ask the name of the person I'm dancing with, so there's a social aspect of dancing for me to work on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Were you in Red?

Was abit hard esp as I came with about 6 women and couldn't overly abandon them to dance with everyone else.
    So the gender imbalance was all your fault?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Not my fault all the women from MJ hastings want to follow my every move.

Blog Entries

Not my fault all the women from MJ hastings want to follow my every move.
    So there's only 6 women that dance MJ in Hastings? No wonder you're driving to London for a dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost an Angel View Post
    Nope I don't think we did dance as I can remember all the men I danced with!! The reason for that is I was leading most of the time!! (no change there then!)

As for SuzyQ - you can't miss her - she's on the tall side!!!

OK Forumites you forgot that were there are:

Mary
    MsFab
    Wicked Blue
    Just wiggle
    Modchick
    Keith J
    Divissima
    Mooncalf
    Rachel (how could you miss out Rachel!)

Although the gender balance was a bit off (ok about double women) there were a fair few of us girlies leading to make up for it (SuzyQ, Ms Fab, Me etc). It was a good night - despite the slow start and me leading lots. Added bonus was I had 2 fab dances with Marc thank you for loaning him Rachel

As for WCS in Hertfordshire - nope can't think of any. What about coming down for the next Bisley Sunday?

Angel xx
    Ooops - yes - Rachel (she was mentioned in my blog) and yes......I did dance with SuzyQ then!

Crikey - loads more than I thought!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

So there's only 6 women that dance MJ in Hastings? No wonder you're driving to London for a dance.
    yeah, There was more but I've dated them and now they wont go.

Quote:Was nice to hear a different style in music and see the non forumites that were in to their WCS.

Hi there, not only are we WCS dancers, we are Forumites and have been there for a long while, and we have been on the MJ scene way too long to talk about.
    The WCS fraternity is quite close knit, our numbers were down on Saturday.

***, Considering it wasn't exactly packed, how can we have not realised who all these forumites were? By the looks of it there were more forumites than not. ...[/SIZE]
    Maybe the other forumites were delib ignoring us hoping we didn't ask them for a dance .
    I think, cos:

1. The men were extremely busy (Woodface, particularly, from what I saw), and it was often hard to find a man to dance with, let alone stand chatting to.

2. Given the amount of WCS music, I didn't feel very confident asking men to dance until it was music I was more comfortable with.

3. I did actually spend a lot of time catching up with people I already knew but hadn't seen in ages.

4. I've learnt from the past that it can get quite embarrassing starting conversations with random strangers along the lines: 'So, um, are you on the forum?' [Usual response: Huh, what? What forum??]

But you're right - it would have been nice to have made contact.

I guess it won't help to say that I was the one in the little black sparkly dress, as I think that's what all the women were wearing!

Rachel

Registered User SeriouslyAddicted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Almost an Angel View Post
    Nope I don't think we did dance as I can remember all the men I danced with!! The reason for that is I was leading most of the time!! (no change there then!)

As for SuzyQ - you can't miss her - she's on the tall side!!!

OK Forumites you forgot that were there are:

Mary
    MsFab
    Wicked Blue
    Just wiggle
    Modchick
    Keith J
    Divissima
    Mooncalf
    Rachel (how could you miss out Rachel!)

Although the gender balance was a bit off (ok about double women) there were a fair few of us girlies leading to make up for it (SuzyQ, Ms Fab, Me etc). It was a good night - despite the slow start and me leading lots. Added bonus was I had 2 fab dances with Marc thank you for loaning him Rachel

As for WCS in Hertfordshire - nope can't think of any. What about coming down for the next Bisley Sunday?

Angel xx
    Wow so many forumites in one place! Would have been nice to have met you all, but maybe at Camber ? Thanks for the dance to all those that I did dance with, maybe without even realising you were forumites.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    I think, cos:

1. The men were extremely busy (Woodface, particularly, from what I saw), and it was often hard to find a man to dance with, let alone stand chatting to.

I guess it won't help to say that I was the one in the little black sparkly dress, as I think that's what all the women were wearing!

Rachel
    Yep Thank god for red bull. I think the only tracks I missed are when i was changing into a different shirt or out of my black sparkly dress.

.......so there were nearly 30 forumites there.

As a proportion of the total number of people there, is that unusually large? (A record?).

If I go to my usual places (St. Albans, Stevenage, Luton, Watford, Berko, Hatfield, Chesham) - I don't meet any forumites (apart from seeing Rachel in the Blues Room at Berko, Icey, Lory at Chesham)..................and as Rachel says, you don't go up to someone and say "Are you in the forum..........".

Maybe there are forumites at those venues (most likely Berko....)...who knows.......? It's not a big thing, however, it can be nice to share a connection in that way.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    .......so there were nearly 30 forumites there.

As a proportion of the total number of people there, is that unusually large? (A record?).
    Funky Lush / Jango events are usually very forum-heavy.

If I go to my usual places (St. Albans, Stevenage, Luton, Watford, Berko, Hatfield, Chesham) - I don't meet any forumites (apart from seeing Rachel in the Blues Room at Berko, Icey, Lory at Chesham)..................
    There were at least seven at Berko last night - including both DJs (as Latin Ian and Marc are both on the forum).

... Maybe there are forumites at those venues (most likely Berko....)...who knows.......? It's not a big thing, however, it can be nice to share a connection in that way.
    I'm sure my path must cross with loads of forumites, without me ever realising it! And I'm bad enough remembering people's real names, let alone their forum alias. In fact, we danced before we realised we were both on the forum, didn't we, Jivelad?

But I'm not overly worried. If a connection is made and you seem to be getting on well with someone, then it's likely to come out sooner or later if you're on the forum. If you don't get on with someone, then having the forum in common is not going to make you like them any better. So I'm happy to sit back and not push myself as a forumite - just let conversation take it's natural course.

However, people to ask if you ever want to know who anyone is, including forumites, are:

Minnie M
    Lory
    WittyBird
    Fletch

Between them, they know everyone!

R.

I was a little bit worried when I saw the women flocking into the venue ... but all in all I had a terrific night ... probably because there were some women that put up with my terrible lead and my even more terrible WCS lead!

btw thanks to those who helped me get another WCS move into my repertiore (Modchick will be particularly pleased as she is a little bored of my two and a half WCS moves)!

There were plenty of usual suspects missing ... not sure where they were!

Lovely dance with Gav ... what a smooth and gentle lead you have .

In fact lots of lovely dances (with one spectacular woosh moment while dancing with Simon Borland - oh I do like a good woosh!).

The only thing I would say is that I didn't get a WCS dance with a man all night which was a bit dissapointing (and yet the norm) - if you dance with those who aren't part of your tight knit group then you will have more good dancers to dance with ...

Finally, I still have no idea who Jivelad is OR David James ... please put me out of my misery and introduce yourselves!!

And Almost an Angel is 100% correct ... you can hardly miss me - am 6'2"!!!

SuzyQ

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    David James ... please put me out of my misery and introduce yourselves!!SuzyQ
    Who? Never heard of him.

Yep Thank god for red bull. I think the only tracks I missed are when i was changing into a different shirt or out of my black sparkly dress.
    Ah ... redbull explains a lot - you have a somewhat enthusiastic dancing style Woodface! You could of course opt for a smooth dancing style as it takes less energy and redbull to achieve .

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Finally, I still have no idea who Jivelad is OR David James ... please put me out of my misery and introduce yourselves!!
    Of course. How rude of me not to do so beforehand.

Hi! I'm DavidJames, nice to meet you.

Lovely dance with Gav ... what a smooth and gentle lead you have .
    I taught him everything he knows, so thanks for the compliment.

Thread Information