Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista Security!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Talking Vista Security!

Following on Bill Gates claiming that Vista was the safest operating system ever released (I think he meant safest Windows OS ever released ) you have to love the Apple advert about Vista security:

visit the 'Get a mac' webpage to see the new ad (and all the other works of genius), or download the ad below!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Re: Vista Security!

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    Following on Bill Gates claiming that Vista was the safest operating system ever released (I think he meant safest Windows OS ever released ) you have to love the Apple advert about Vista security:

visit the 'Get a mac' webpage to see the new ad (and all the other works of genius), or download the ad below!
    I NEED ONE OF THOSE PC MEN THINGIES...

You are about to do yet another yo-yo: cancel or allow?

Yeah, saw this ad last night – classic stuff.

Feel sorry for those people who either through ignorance or compulsion will have to put up with Vista.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

brilliant. You are coming to a sad realisation - cancel or allow

Its not a coincidence they look like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs

Got to say I'm almost looking forward to Vista ? Why? because its going to be so restrictive and is so expensive - hordes of people are going to move to Mac and Linux. The only real reason for using Vista is DirectX 10, there really needs to be a strong alternative to that for other OS's

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Yeah, saw this ad last night – classic stuff.

Feel sorry for those people who either through ignorance or compulsion will have to put up with Vista.
    The way Vista will get the new customers and keep windows dominant is through corporate or program necessity or forced install at point of purchase Use it OR ELSE!

I liked it. I'm not convinced about the Vista security model. It seems too security through obscurity for my liking... "nothing may see the kernel" because obviously viruses aren't going to find a work around and then the only thing that can't see into the kernel is your virus protection .

I thought moving to a BSD core was one of the best moves Apple made.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    The only real reason for using Vista is DirectX 10, there really needs to be a strong alternative to that for other OS's
    That was one of two reasons for me. The other was actually using my 64bit system in a non-32bit runtime but since that I can't upgrade to that then I don't think I'll bother.

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    That was one of two reasons for me. The other was actually using my 64bit system in a non-32bit runtime but since that I can't upgrade to that then I don't think I'll bother.
    Does this help?

Sadly.. I'm a PC guy through and through.. I do love the Mac adverts though! so cool.

But all our clients who buy our software are PC and use handheld data collectors which are essentially rugged pocket PC's with "extra bits" .. so we're sort of tied to the whole Gates monopoly I'm afraid.

I do have a linux box at home.. it was being used as a server for my Hamster Cam .. but it's "offline" (i.e. broken) at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Does this help?
    Nah, I own a valid copy of Windows. I suppose I could install an illegal copy of Windows XP Professional 64 bit edition just to replace that with a 64 bit Vista if that is what you are getting at. I'd prefer to tell MS to go stick it though if they are just making it so damn difficult to install the thing in the first place.

EDIT: Read the article (properly this time). Yeah, that would get around it. Still not convinced that exploiting loopholes is the way to install an OS though .

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Have vista disk sitting on my desk.

Will install it and let you all know what I think once my extra 1gig memory turns up

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

got a beta of Vista last year and couldn't be bothered trying it - its probably expired now. If I want to upgrade my games PC to take advantage of DirectX 10 it costs £198 for Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. £200 for an operating system to run programs on. How can they justify that ? (and thats from ebuyer, i've heard its more expensive elsewhere) . The ironic thing is ebuyer are advertising Vista ready desktop PCs from £249.99 - only £50 more

The Dashing Moderator

They're all American adverts though - I prefer the Mitchell and Webb ones for the UK...
    Love dance, will travel

The more I read up about Macs the more I think "Ooooh I'd like one" but what would I do with it? I'm too set in my ways I'm afraid and too much of what I do is tied up with Windows OS's

I feel like the soldier being left behind in one of those clichéd scene's in a war movie.

"Cough.. no I'm done for.. go on without me .. cough.. I'll hold them off as long as I can.. cough.. send my regards to Twirly, tell her.. cough wheeze.. tell her I fought bravely .. but cough... the Windows OS was just too powerful.. cough gasp.... Now go before I change my mind.."

A good route for the PC-afflicted is to buy a KVM and a Mac mini – dead cheap, uses your existing keyboard, mouse and screen, and if you don't like it, you can install Linux or Windows on it and use it for something else.

Alternatively, buy a Mac laptop for reading email and browsing the web from your sofa or in bed.

You may find you eventually spend more time on the Mac than on your PC.

It never takes long for the to apear. There are a few, I just love the upgrade one...

[NSFW: WARNING SOME OF THESE CONTAIN THE F**K WORD]

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    got a beta of Vista last year and couldn't be bothered trying it - its probably expired now. If I want to upgrade my games PC to take advantage of DirectX 10 it costs £198 for Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. £200 for an operating system to run programs on. How can they justify that ? (and thats from ebuyer, i've heard its more expensive elsewhere) . The ironic thing is ebuyer are advertising Vista ready desktop PCs from £249.99 - only £50 more
    And it's nearly twice the price as if you bought it in the states. £200 here $200 in the us. We're being ripped off with the price. It's the only reason i've not looked at it yet. Sadly, we're going to end up having to use it in a few years.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

noticed you can get vista home premium for £134 its for the "upgrade" version but it can be used for a full install too - see here

still not cheap though, its only an operating system after all

My new laptop is supposed to be Vista 'ready' - should I download it and how do I? Is it Ok and easy to use? Will it mess up my settings?

(No 'Mac is better' comments please, I don't have a Mac, I'm not about to buy a Mac, I'm quite happy with what I have, even if I'm some deluded fool who hasn't 'seen the light' yet.)

If your laptop is marked as "Vista ready" then it means it meets the hardware requirements to run Vista.

Unless your laptop came with a voucher that entitles you to a free upgrade to Vista you'll have to cough up a fair bit of cash for it. I wouldn't upgrade straight away and unless you need to do something that requires you to use Vista I wouldn't bother with it. Most reviews I've read seem to be a case of better than Windows XP but not by much and not worth the money.

Disclaimer: I haven't used it myself so can't really say too much about it and I do own a Mac but I haven't got religious about it yet
    Last edited by pmjd; 14th-February-2007 at 02:36 AM. Reason: More info

Thread Information