Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strictly Baby Ballroom

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Strictly Baby Ballroom

Strictly Baby Ballroom

Channel 4, tonight, 9.00pm - 10pm

Its a documentary following children who are taking part in the British Juvenile Ballroom Championships

It might be worth watching
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Strictly Baby Ballroom

I saw the trailer for this and had a right ol' rant about it.

The trailer was showing all those kids as mini-adults - little girls made up to a degree which I found, actually, extremely uncomfortable. And little boys who seemed totally miserable about competing - one poor little chap said that he felt sick.

Someone I talked to about it said that they were "pushed" into dancing as a child and quit - and regretted quitting. However, what was telling to me was that it appeared to be the discomfort (physical in the preparation - hair, makeup etc. as well as mental) inherent in *competing* that this person was rebelling against - they said that they enjoyed the dancing itself. Perhaps they would have continued with the classes without parental pressure?

Pushy parents who have missed out on the latest craze and regret it should let their kids be kids - by all means encourage them to go to dance classes. But don't force the poor children to compete.

I can't watch - I know I'll just end up shouting at the TV

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    I can't watch - I know I'll just end up shouting at the TV
    Oh go on! You know you want to

And then you can come on here and let off steam!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Hell with that, I have wireless broadband, I can watch and rant at the same time

RIGHT!

It's only just got past the preamble and I'm annoyed!

The poor kid who said about parents pushing and pushing and pushing...

The dad who said "We're not here for fun..." - and the daughter saying that she doesn't get to go out much and can't see her friends as much as she'd like to . She's 9.

I can't even be mad any more. I'm too sad for them
    Last edited by LMC; 6th-February-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Blog Entries

RIGHT!

It's only just got past the preamble and I'm annoyed!

The poor kid who said about parents pushing and pushing and pushing...

The dad who said "We're not here for fun..." - and the daughter saying that she doesn't get to go out much and can't see her friends as much as she'd like to . She's 9.

I can't even be mad any more. I'm too sad for them
    I agree with you!

IMO, some of it almost amounted to child abuse!

The parents of the girl who got 1st place, treated her like a pet project, not a daughter! it was more about 'them' winning, nothing to do with her enjoying it!

When they sat round the table giving her the pre-dance talking to, I wanted the daughter to say, OK fine, I won't do it then!

God help her the day she looses, that's all I say

The young 'John Travolta' was funny though! A born lady killer, if ever i've seen one

And didn't they all look old
    Last edited by Lory; 6th-February-2007 at 11:29 PM.

HOw sick was that????????????

...that's really all I can say!

Well, I missed the last half 'cos I was on the phone.

But what got me was the difference between the 1st place kid (and her horrible horrible parents who should be reported to Social Services for mental and emotional abuse ) and the 2nd place little girl (?Tabitha) who was looking for a new partner - equally dreadful pushy mother, but the child was obviously keen to be dancing (in the first half of the programme anyway).

And as for the hip wiggling and the make up - they're LITTLE GIRLS - what a shame that they are forced to grow up so fast

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Only caught the last 5 mins . . . . . anyone know if it's going to be shown again?

Glitter Queen

A note about costume:
    There are actually strict rules in place in terms of what the little girls and boys are allowed to wear on the competition dance floor up to the age of twelve. As you saw in the film, their dresses were modest (in terms of not much skin on show) they were all one colour and had no sequins, beads or feathers on. The boys wear black trousers and a white shirt (and a tie for ballroom). There is also a restriction placed on how high the girls heels are allowed to be, to protect their growing feet. They are allowed a hair decoration and make up - but I too thought the amount of make up, false nails and fake tan on the little girls featured was excessive.

I thought the parents were all very pushy, and seemed to be living their own ambitions through their children. The only parents that seemed even vaguely normal were those of the little boy Mason, who had not done ballroom dancing before he partnered Tabatha.
    I was astounded by the amount of criticism the young people received from their parents. I remember being (almost) bullied by my dancing teachers when I was young to try harder and do better, but never by my parents - they always said that as long as I tried my best that was what counted.

Two of my old dancing teachers were actually on the show!!
    Training Tabatha was Mark, and in the background Nick, who both used to teach me when I was at Uni. Lovely guys, happy memories.

Interesting to hear the costume rules (half - guessed from the similarity of them all) - thanks Sparkles.

As an afterthought (still feeling a bit sore meself after the weekend!) I can't help wondering about the strain on growing muscles and joints from all the repetitive exercise and 'tension' required to hold frame etc. Didn't some of the very young Russian gymnasts (Comaneci et al) really suffer in their 20s after Olympic fame in their teens?

As an afterthought (still feeling a bit sore meself after the weekend!) I can't help wondering about the strain on growing muscles and joints from all the repetitive exercise and 'tension' required to hold frame etc. Didn't some of the very young Russian gymnasts (Comaneci et al) really suffer in their 20s after Olympic fame in their teens?

This happens for anyone who constantly trains; dancers/athletes etc.
    There's no getting away from the wear and tear on the body if you're constantly pushing the boundaries of your ability.
    If it's because what you do is truly your passion it's certainly more tolerable than doing it because someone else is pushing you....

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    I remember being (almost) bullied by my dancing teachers when I was young to try harder and do better
    Might this be because a large part of their credibility and status as teachers come from the achievements of their pupils? A bit like cabaret perfomers at MJ events/aspiring teachers citing how many competitions they've won (which I find pretty unimpressive, no matter what the competition, probably because I was always taught dance by someone who had a recognised dance teaching qualification).

In some ways I prefer an exam system to competition, certainly for children - you're examined on your dance ability within a framework of expectation, rather than whether you're better/worse/more impressive than another on any particular day.
    Last edited by Aleks; 7th-February-2007 at 12:37 PM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    A bit like cabaret perfomers at MJ events/aspiring teachers citing how many competitions they've won
    Hey, I'm a National Champion Ill have you know. Maybe I should put it on my CV Though I'm not an aspiring teache...but...If any beginners want lessons I have a good 5 mins worth of modern jive to teach you

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Hey, I'm a National Champion Ill have you know. Maybe I should put it on my CV Though I'm not an aspiring teache...but...If any beginners want lessons I have a good 5 mins worth of modern jive to teach you
    Enjoy your achievements but as I said, it's not something I find particularly impressive.

The Forum Legend

A bit like cabaret perfomers at MJ events/aspiring teachers citing how many competitions they've won (which I find pretty unimpressive, no matter what the competition, probably because I was always taught dance by someone who had a recognised dance teaching qualification).
    So, given that there are no recognised dancing qualifications in MJ (or salsa, WCS, etc.), and very few (3 that I know of in MJ, but probably a couple more here and there) teachers who have ever studied dance, how would you choose which teachers to be taught by then?

(which I find pretty unimpressive, no matter what the competition, probably because I was always taught dance by someone who had a recognised dance teaching qualification).
    Bad form quoting yourself I know....
    Just wanted to qualify:
    I would still consider competition winners to be good dancers, just that the fact that they won stuff doesn't impress me.
    I was taught to dance with the goal being that of becoming a performer....there are no classical ballet competitions, just the hope (if you're ambitious) that you'll be part of a dance company one day, giving your all, doing what you love!
    Last edited by Aleks; 7th-February-2007 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    So, given that there are no recognised dancing qualifications in MJ (or salsa, WCS, etc.), and very few (3 that I know of in MJ, but probably a couple more here and there) teachers who have ever studied dance, how would you choose which teachers to be taught by then?
    When watching them dancing inspires me.
    At my ripe age I dance for fun.
    I enjoy the physical movement and the social part that goes with it.
    Any improvement in my dance ability is in the hope that I will be a more enjoyable partner.
    If I ever wanted to compete I'd choose a sport.
    I consider dance to be an 'art'.
    Last edited by Aleks; 7th-February-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Word-of-mouth, obviously.

There's no "recognised" dance qualifications in any social dance - that means you've got to try a lot of different teachers before you find one that's good for you. The phrase "kiss a lot of frogs" comes to mind...

We've come along way off-topic!
    My original point was that I don't see many benefits to the child in competing against others, especially if it's for the increased status of the teacher.
    The pholosophy I was taught was to compete against myself - to do something better this week than last for no other reason than to be the best I could be; certainly not better than anyone else in my class or from another dance school.
    Last edited by Aleks; 7th-February-2007 at 02:42 PM.

Thread Information