Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for PUTTING ON weight...?

Tips for PUTTING ON weight...?

Anyone have any tips for putting on weight? As in, not losing but gaining weight?

I've been under weight for a few months now, but however a recent stomach bug has lost me a further half a stone and I look desperately ill! I'm trying with all my might to put weight on but my body seems to lose weight the more I eat! It's crazy!

Of course, the fact that I dance 6-7 nights a week doesn't help!

What with Southport (ONLY 1 SLEEP AWAY) around the corner, I'm gonna need all the fat resources I can gather...

Help?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Tips for PUTTING ON weight...?

You're more than welcome to have some of mine!

Blog Entries

Deep fried pork pies?

well the main thing is eat a healthy balanced diet, and stille exercise. The last thing you want is deep fried pork pies

the calorific content on what you take in should exceed that of what goes out. sounds like your metabolic rate is racing just now. Simple carbs like sugar will only give you an energy rush and too much sugar is not good for you. You want complex carbs the body can digest slowly I guess..

But I'm not a nutritionist. just eat a healthy diet but more off it. Red meat, lots of potatoes , fruit and veg etc. try and work up some muscle tone which will make you look bulkier

You could try some health food store and get one of their crash weight gain milk shakes made with full fat milk but I've never tried those and don't know how "healthy" they really are.

Blog Entries

Go to a liposuction clinic and ask if they can pump some into you.

You'd be best off asking a nutritionist really, but I'd imagine that upping the carbs and protein in your diet would help. Also, if you've just had a stomach bug it's probably a good idea to be eating yoghurt to restore the normal balance in your gut (yog with all the goodies in that is).

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I've been under weight for a few months now, but however a recent stomach bug has lost me a further half a stone and I look desperately ill! I'm trying with all my might to put weight on but my body seems to lose weight the more I eat! It's crazy!

Help?
    Not wanting to be alarmist, but have you consulted your doctor? Extreme weight loss is something that (in my view) warrants a quick checkup to make sure everything's OK (eg a friend who had a similar problem was subsequently diagnosed with diabetes).

Unlikely there's anything seriously wrong, but it's always better to be safe...

The Forum Legend

Anyone have any tips for putting on weight? As in, not losing but gaining weight?

I've been under weight for a few months now
    You realise that you're now the most hated person on the forum!!!

What with Southport (ONLY 1 SLEEP AWAY) around the corner, I'm gonna need all the fat resources I can gather...

Help?
    I'm really not sure on this one - I used to be underweight but now I'm about right for my height, maybe a fraction under. But that's from a lot of hard work at the gym! I can't see that trying to gain fat is good - maybe having a protein drink, as body builders do, might help. But then if you're not working out to get the muscles needing protein I don't know what the outcome would be...

I'd echo what straycat says though, I'd first and foremost go and see your GP just to check everything is ok

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Help?

try eating nuts, they are full of fat, or eat loads of mars bars!

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Go to a liposuction clinic and ask if they can pump some into you.
    lipostuffing?????

Tonbridge, Kent, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way, The Universe.

Jamie,

The weight you lost from your stomach bug ought to go back on given time. You say that you've been under weight for a few months before that, but you don't say how come that is. I'm kind of assuming that its because you've been dancing loads.

Its possible that the increase in activity is making your body burn muscle to use as fuel. The answer to that is to ensure that you take on some carbohydrate before you go dancing, and possibly during dancing - that way your body will burn that off instead. After dancing you need to take on some protein. This needn't be a protein supplement, unless you're really short on time, because protein from proper food is far more effective anyway. Chicken, turkey or fish is great. Protein will help to maintain (and depending on the form of exercise, increase) muscle mass.

Also, you could really do with taking a couple of days out from dancing per week. The amount of time you're putting in is on a par with that of a pro sportsperson, yet they don't do a proper job on top of their exercise, so at least they get the rest.

If you can't bear to miss dancing, then perhaps consider only dancing 'hard' every other night. The nights in between just do a few dances, and find excuses to chat some more.

Hope that helps.

Paul

...watch your stress levels, the body releases cortisol which will metabolise muscle producing sugars (glycogen), then once the trigger disappears the sugars are stored as fat... (which is lighter than muscle).

Suggest you also try eating in the evenings (metabolic rate is slower).

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    ...watch your stress levels, the body releases cortisol which will metabolise muscle producing sugars (glycogen), then once the trigger disappears the sugars are stored as fat... (which is lighter than muscle).

Suggest you also try eating in the evenings (metabolic rate is slower).
    I think eat more is the answer. When I used to do kick boxing regularly I had 9 or 10 rolls and fillings at lunchtime, which got a few stares until my colleagues got used to it

Eating more isn't always the answer. Alot depends on your metabolic rate (how fast your body processes food). This increases with the amount of exercise that you do (hence you feel more hungry).

Those of us who are older than others will observe the problems with maintaining muscle tone. This is because the metabolic rate drops with age.

Some types of food (chilli's in particular) accelerate the metabolic rate. Anyway whats this got to do with putting on weight. Just have a few pints of guiness before bedtime...

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

I've always found that the mere mention of a doughnut is enough to pile on a few pounds... but it's not the healthy way to do it.

1) get to the weights! Muscle weighs more than fat!

2) carbs, carbs carbs, Lots of good wholegrain carbs

3) protein - lean please!

4) the odd mars bar to liven things up a bit

and Paul is right... maybe a little less exercise and wee bit more rest!

When I was working in a very physical job ( was an anti-smuggling officer for Customs for a few years!) I could eat buckets loads and still stay a tiny person... stop the physical activity and sit behind a desk... lardy person within months...

Anyone have any tips for putting on weight?
    Try going on a diet - works briliantly for me - every time I go on one a gain weight!

Move to England

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Move to England
    with a flatmate that makes fab cake..... ?

I put on a lot of weight when I went to the Gym. I wanted to lose weight and look more toned and also get a bit fitter. I certainly got fitter but I found I was putting on muscle and eating more (because I'd worked up such an appitite) So I foolishly just stopped going to the gym.. and all the muscle I'd put on turned to fat and I could hardly climb the stairs any more without getting out of breath.

Luckily I've since lost a lot of that excess weight but am still overweight and still too unfit (although I can walk and climb stairs now with no problems.. thanks to ceroc ) and skint to go back to the gym.

so if you really want to put on weight.. go to the gym. It worked for me

Thread Information