Thread: Windows Quick launch bar

Windows Quick launch bar

I like the Quick launch bar and getting rid of application shortcuts on the desktop. Desktops are for data, task bars are for apps. Don't ask me why, that's the way I like it.

Now, OS/2 had the capability of creating "Application file drawers" so that you could group similar app types, say "Document" for Office, Adobe and PageMaker, then "Media" for Media Player, Movie Maker and PhotoShop. Whatever grouping of apps you wanted really.

Now, I can create a folder in the Windows Quick Launch task bar but when I put app shortcuts in it, and click on the folder it just opens up a File Manager / Explorer window. The behaviour I want is that clicking on the taskbar folder a drawer "slides up" to reveal the app shortcuts I have put in it, not this nonsense of opening a window. Can I reproduce this sliding drawer behaviour from quick launch taskbar?

Thank-ye good and kindly people.

Re: Windows Quick launch bar

On my Mac I have an application called DragThing which does just the kind of thing you're looking for.

There must be similar "launcher" programs for Windows, no?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    On my Mac I have an application called DragThing which does just the kind of thing you're looking for.

There must be similar "launcher" programs for Windows, no?
    Yes. Anything Macs can do, PC's can do better (and cheaper!!) lol

You want cooltabs. http://www.alerma.com/download.html

Wow! It looks like a clone of DragThing! (It even says it on their product page...)

Very Mac-like, including the icons disappearing in a wee puff of smoke...

Anything Macs can do, someone on Windows will eventually get round to copying...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Clive you can create your own folder and put working shortcuts in it without having to cough up for another program.

First make a folder somewhere. Then for each program you need to use find it's *.exe file, usually in the program folder somewhere, right click and send it to the desktop as a shortcut. Take all the shortcuts and put them in the folder you've already created. Right click on the taskbar and pick Toolbars>New Toolbar, find the folder you created and bingo you should get your own custom & working quick launch bar.

HTH
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Anything Macs can do, someone on Windows will eventually get round to copying...
    Plagiarism rulez, just like piracy, if you believe the words of the president of Romania.

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Clive you can create your own folder and put working shortcuts in it without having to cough up for another program.

<< instructions >>
    HTH
    Paul
    Hi

Followed your instructions but not working exactly as I hoped.

The "drawer" behaviour is there, but I have to leave the folder on the desktop. If I delete the referenced folder, the new toolbar disappears.

The new Toolbar is located "remotely" from "quicklaunch" which seems a bit silly as they both exist to launch applications.

The clicking of the chevron to open the drawer rather than directly on the text "Media Apps" is a bit clunky.

The representation of the drawer via a text string, not as an icon, is a bit weak.

Clive

Sorry Clive but that is the best I can suggest. Maybe your would be better buying the program that Woodface suggested, it may work more as you'd like.

I can suggest a few fixes for some of the problems though.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long View Post
    The "drawer" behaviour is there, but I have to leave the folder on the desktop. If I delete the referenced folder, the new toolbar disappears.
    Clive
    I did say make a folder somewhere, it doesn't have to be the desktop. I suggested creating the shortcuts to the desktop so they were all in one place and it's a handy right click to do. Once you've got all the shortcuts you need then transfer them to the folder, which can be anywhere. After that then setup the new toolbar as before and you won't have a folder cluttering up your desktop.

The new Toolbar is located "remotely" from "quicklaunch" which seems a bit silly as they both exist to launch applications.
    Clive
    If you right click on the taskbar, untick the "lock the taskbar" option, you should see dotted vertical lines next to the quick launch and your toolbar. Drag the one next to your toolbar right next to the quicklaunch one, then drag the right hand one too to where you want. Re-lock the taskbar and all should be well.

The clicking of the chevron to open the drawer rather than directly on the text "Media Apps" is a bit clunky.

The representation of the drawer via a text string, not as an icon, is a bit weak.
    Sorry but can't help with that bit.

Good luck,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Sorry Clive but that is the best I can suggest. Maybe your would be better buying the program that Woodface suggested, it may work more as you'd like.

I can suggest a few fixes for some of the problems though.
    << snip more stuff >>
    Good luck,
    Paul
    No criticism of you Paul. Thanks for the time and effort you spent on a response. My response is just born out of frustration that the Windows implementation seems "almost there, but not quite" whereas with some thought and effort it could have been "right". You can't influence that. Maybe that's why there is an industry for Windows add-ons to clean up all the messy little corners and edges.

Clive

Thread Information