Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Encrypting HTML – possible or not?

Re: Encrypting HTML – possible or not?

Rather than spending time and money "encrypting" your site against plagiarists, why not spend time and money on a spell-checker?
    (eg, "counterfeit", not "counterfiet")

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

lol

HTML encrypt is a waste of money. My 6 year old daughter could have got them images and the code.

Re: Help required to identify 3 tracks.........

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Here we go. lol

Had to rename it. wouldn;t let me post it on forum first time around. Very very easy.
    I was just off to bed but I think I'll look for a wee hole I can crawl in to, did you really need to rub it in with Very, very easy

good night folks and apologies again to DJ

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    I was just off to bed but I think I'll look for a wee hole I can crawl in to, did you really need to rub it in with Very, very easy

good night folks and apologies again to DJ
    Could have said very, very, very easy but I had to move the mouse to much to warrant that.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Rather than spending time and money "encrypting" your site against plagiarists, why not spend time and money on a spell-checker?
    (eg, "counterfeit", not "counterfiet")
    Oh c'mon, that was a typo

Firefox picked it up, just as it has now but in my haste I didn't notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    I was just off to bed but I think I'll look for a wee hole I can crawl in to
    Eh, I wouldn't worry. I got called at 7:30 today because of a severe issue with the webpages I write and support for a living, so I can't really diss anyone else's efforts this week.
    (next week, on the other hand...)

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Been coding a site for the last three weeks only to throw most of it away and start again today

www.pinupvintage.co.uk

Drat! Missed all the fun!

Getting the "UV" image was frankly trivial for me – I just dragged it onto my desktop from my browser. No tricks at all.

Getting the non-UV image meant I had to open my browser's "activity window" which lists all the files loaded on each open page. Double-clicking the non-uv file opened it in a new window which I could then drag... (Oops! Just realised I could scroll down the page and drag it from there! D'oh! )

I haven't bothered revealing the unencrypted source, but I think we've shown it's pretty straight-forward.

Anyway, the original point of this exercise wasn't to prove Brian wrong, it was to prove that digital rights management involving encrypted media is fundamentally flawed when the media needs to be decrypted to be listened to or viewed.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Lol. took 15 seconds.

...snip....

<!--Protected by Encrypt HTML Pro, MTop, Software Inc.--></body></ht
    get a grip woodface - that last line would have been good enough.

Anway, Took me 3 seconds to get the image , beating your 15 (ooooh) In Firefox ; Web Developer Toolbar > Images > View Image Information > Right click > save as

I didn't realise Brian meant the picture with the UV on it until he said but that didn't take much longer :

In Firefox ; Web Dev Toolbar again > View Generated Source > did find for licence.gif (the name of the image i just saved) > Noticed mouseover code was right above image itself > copied name of image > pasted images/licenceuv.gif into browser address bar > right click, save as

In Opera ; Drag drop onto desktop - 1 second

Its futile really.
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 31st-January-2007 at 02:07 AM.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    get a grip woodface - that last line would have been good enough.

Anway, Took me 3 seconds to get the image , beating your 15 (ooooh) In Firefox ; Web Developer Toolbar > Images > View Image Information > Right click > save as

I didn't realise Brian meant the picture with the UV on it until he said but that didn't take much longer :

In Firefox ; Web Dev Toolbar again > View Generated Source > did find for licence.gif (the name of the image i just saved) > Noticed mouseover code was right above image itself > copied name of image > pasted images/licenceuv.gif into browser address bar > right click, save as

In Opera ; Drag drop onto desktop - 1 second

Its futile really.

Lol. The 15 seconds was to get the images and the code.

Did think about going and editing out loads of the lines so the post was shorter but I was tired.

For those who want to know how I done it.....

File -> Save Page

Open Dreamweaver -> open saved page

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Lol. The 15 seconds was to get the images and the code.
    I realise that , the source is always there and hardly worth mentioning I was only joking about the time

I think we can all agree encrypting web pages is a futile gesture. If all we wanted were the images with and without UV - both Safari and Opera support drag and drop of images.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Excellent, thanks guys - I was getting a bit concerned there for a minute that some Clever New Technique had arisen since I last played with HTML a few years back, but it sounds like it's still the same old smoke-and-mirrors stuff. Whew.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

The only way you can hide text etc is by using a server side script but you will always have HTML output to the users browser.

HTML encrpt works by just throwing a bit of java script in to the top of the page and validating it with a file on the server. The code is always there in the browser, it's just if you go top view source you can't see it. Just save the page and then open it in Dreamweaver or notepad etc and Vola, code and images in a folder.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Rather than spending time and money "encrypting" your site against plagiarists
    I use the tried and trusted method of insuring there is nothing on my site that anyone wants to copy thereby insuring no one will bother plagiarising it .

I think as a MMO developer said "the client is in the hands of the enemy". That's about a game where they have control over the code executed on the client's machine. Still people hacked in scripted levellers and such into the game. There is little you can do to stop someone copying HTML and images if they want to. All you can do is legally defend your IP if it reappears.

people asking "How can I hide my precious and valuable HTML code so that Evil Plagiarists don't steal my brilliant ideas?"

Thats easy. Do it in Word for Windows and save it as HTML. The resultant code will be completely useless to anyone.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

The only way I can think of doing it is by writing your own browser which recognises certain encrypted sites and then receives an encrepted code which is unscrabled within the browser but not displayed.

Of course within a day or two there would be some hack out there.

Pictures are not so easy. As long as you can screen capture then you can get a picture.

The only way I can think of doing it is by writing your own browser which recognises certain encrypted sites and then receives an encrepted code which is unscrabled within the browser but not displayed.
    Sure. But surely that isn't really a useful HTML anymore. If people need your browser to get it (which presumably stops copy and paste etc.) then you might as well ditch the HTML requirement and just send whatever you like.

Google Talk has an "off-the record" function that informs your server and the other person's server and client not to save the conversations. Of course most other Jabber clients have no idea about what this custom request is so go on to save it anyway. Failing that they can always just copy and paste what was said to an email and mail it to everyone anyway. It's not really something you should use if you don't trust the other party to keep anything said private. Then again I trust everyone on my contact list enough that that isn't a problem.

I don't know if they still support it, but at least some earlier versions of Internet Explorer supported an encrypted/compiled form of HTML that only it understood.

Another bright idea by Microsoft.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information