Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long? (Girly clothing query!)

Re: How long? (Girly clothing query!)

after reading this post with interest ever since it started.. I decided i would get up the courage to actually wear a skirt to my class tonight, well it is technically miniskirt but i teamed it with cropped leggings so no blushes if the skirt ever blow up ... if you know what i mean..

And my verdict is ... it is heaps better than jeans i have been wearing!!!!! more easier to move etc .. so i will wear skirts from now with tights/leggings of course!!

Congrats on your change of attire, there, Husky Cat!
    I still wouldn't be brave enough to wear a skirt!
    Maybe when I start the intermediate class, I'll give the skirts a go!

It took me until Intermediate classes to do this!! I think it was only because i got used to the people and they got used to me . It was easier that way !!

I can imagine it being harder once people are used to me...Now it'd be...oh, she wears skirts....whereas, once they got used to me wearing jeans it becomes "BLIMEY, She's got LEGS under those Jeans!!!...Now put em away, you're scaring us!"

Registered User SeriouslyAddicted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mythical View Post
    "BLIMEY, She's got LEGS under those Jeans!!!...Now put em away, you're scaring us!"
    I normally wear trousers dancing but last night braved a skirt - and you would not believe the amount of times the above line was said to me in the space of one evening - well not the scaring bit thank goodness! *mental note - must wear more skirts*

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslyAddicted View Post
    I normally wear trousers dancing but last night braved a skirt - and you would not believe the amount of times the above line was said to me in the space of one evening - well not the scaring bit thank goodness! *mental note - must wear more skirts*
    That was a lovely skirt you had on last night

Strange, innit - when Jive (real jive, not modern jive) was in it's heyday, this discussion would have been about women being brave enough to change from Skirts to Trousers!!
    Wierd how things come round like that, huh?

Strange, innit - when Jive (real jive, not modern jive) was in it's heyday, this discussion would have been about women being brave enough to change from Skirts to Trousers!!
    Wierd how things come round like that, huh?
    Yes - strange world!

I have actually always worn dresses or skirts because I don't ever feel comfortable wearing trousers. It's only very recently that I got the nerve to wear trousers dancing. And if, once in a blue moon, I ever wear trousers at work, everybody comments on it.

I haven't worn jeans since I was about 15, as I never thought I had the figure for it. And even now, I get really envious of girls who are comfortable wearing jeans at Ceroc and look good in them.

Having said that, the best thing of all about mj, is that you can wear exactly what you want and no-one cares - you can go all glammed up & glittery or slum it out, whatever you feel like. Anything goes.

Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    Yes - strange world!

I have actually always worn dresses or skirts because I don't ever feel comfortable wearing trousers. It's only very recently that I got the nerve to wear trousers dancing. And if, once in a blue moon, I ever wear trousers at work, everybody comments on it.

I haven't worn jeans since I was about 15, as I never thought I had the figure for it. And even now, I get really envious of girls who are comfortable wearing jeans at Ceroc and look good in them.

Having said that, the best thing of all about mj, is that you can wear exactly what you want and no-one cares - you can go all glammed up & glittery or slum it out, whatever you feel like. Anything goes.

Rachel
    I really don't have the figure for jeans, but I wear them everyday!
    My problem is that I don't know HOW to wear a skirt - what shoes/tops to put with it, etc (obviously, I can remember how to wear it as in what to do with it)

I really don't have the figure for jeans, but I wear them everyday!
    My problem is that I don't know HOW to wear a skirt - what shoes/tops to put with it, etc (obviously, I can remember how to wear it as in what to do with it)
    First, I'm fairly sure Rachel does have the figure for jeans.

Second, top tip for skirt wearing – don't combine twirly skirt with dull and too-long t-shirts.

Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

You have an amazing figure, (I'm very envious of it) i can't imagine that you wouldn't look good in anything! But i'm sure the men would be disappointed not to be able to see your lovely legs!

I had the same feeling, till a bit over a year ago. Was convinced that jeans were uncomfortable and that I'd look dreadful, being slightly overweight (can't abide the sight of muffin tops ). But I bought this lovely sparkly top, and couldn't find anything to wear with it and realised that jeans would be perfect. So I went jeans shopping, and once I actually found a pair that fitted ( and very depressing) bought and began to (tentatively) wear them... to be rather amazed and delighted by the reaction I got as lots of people told me I looked great in them. I still don't think they are amazingly comfortable, but I can wear them happily now if they've got lycra in. And knowing which make fits me means I will just be unadventurous and stick to them.

However, I won't wear them dancing. Did once and got hot, sweaty and couldn't move/wiggle as well as I can in other troursers or skirts. I envy those girls who seem to dance well in them, but know that I can't (and have heard other women say this too).

Rachel - we've not met, but if you fancy being able to wear jeans, I suggest you go shopping and see what you can find. There will be something out there that will suit you.

I WILL wear the dress AND the Crinoline AND red glittery shoes!!
    You can't beat a nice pair of glittery shoes - these are my Dorothy Shoes, unfortunately they are getting a bit worn now ... so I'll just have to buy some more

Mine are just glittery pumps from Claires...they could even be slippers, rather than shoes, but...meh...who cares!!
    Icey, your dorothy shoes look like proper dance shoes! I'll have to add those to my shopping list, they're awesome!!

Icey, your dorothy shoes look like proper dance shoes! I'll have to add those to my shopping list, they're awesome!!
    They're both Heavenly's - see here. Prepare to drool

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    It looks lovely - if you feel confident wearing it, then go for it. Why care if no-one else has the guts to wear something stylish? I've spent too many years thinking "I can't wear that, it's too dressy/posh/sparkly, etc." now I just buy it and find somewhere to wear it. Dancing is great for that as it gives you a good excuse!

I adopted my forum name because of one particular skirt - it's circular with two layers and spins out wonderfully. Was dancing in Swindon in it one night whilst away from home and one of the guys came up to me and just said "come on Twirly" as his invitation to dance, then span me incessantly! So be warned!
    That dress is lovely but if you want to wear thongs with it make sure you haven't got a spotty bum could be imbarrising. lol

I did it! I wore it last night! (with boxers underneath)
    I realised my attitude was all wrong.....I'm NEVER going to be good enough for the dress. I might as well wear it before it turns to dust in the closet from waiting to be worn.
    Everyone loved it....one guy totally ignored me and asked the DRESS to dance!

I wear jeans a lot to dancing. I am one of those who is uncomfortable in a skirt or dress. I love dancing in my jeans, they are so very comfortable.

Although I did get a whole lot of lovely compliments on my dress last night

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    I usually dance in jeans. Not because I don't look good in a skirt, but because I just don't like the stupid things. Still, I wear swirly skirts and dresses to parties. Where I am also forced to wear silly heels. That's the real reason I hate skirts. I hate heels. And I look really silly wearing a nice skirt and flat shoes. Does nothing for the legs
    Hey! One of my favourite outfits is a sixties silver dress that I wear with black leggings and flat ballet pumps. I detest heels so find it difficult to find ones I like, I guess the shoes do look a bit silly though.

Sorry, that was a bit random as usual.
    ash x

Thread Information