Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long? (Girly clothing query!)

How long? (Girly clothing query!)

Till I'm good enough to wear my Circle Dresses to Ceroc?
    (this is one of those posts that all seems like a good idea before I press the submit button!)
    I have two fantastic circle dresses from a 1950s pattern and I'm just dying to dance in them - not Strictly Ceroc, as it were...but it'd look awesome! lol

Anyone else have something they're dying to wear (anywhere) but just can't get up the courage? or am I alone in this crazy psychosis?

Re: How long? (Girly clothing query!)

I have a lime green G string and matching tassles that I'm desperate to wear to Southport.

I think I might just go for it this time.

Suddenly, I'm glad I'm not going to southport!!!! :p

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I have a lime green G string and matching tassles that I'm desperate to wear to Southport.

Ah, you wouldn't be wearing them for long

Nothing to do with ability - just wear 'em if you want to.

But since you asked how long: in my experience, if circular skirts are longer than about knee length you might run into a few problems if the floor is crowded. I've also caught fingers (mine and my partner's) in the one circular+ skirt that I've worn occasionally (even though it's slightly above knee length - all that extra material flying around can get grabbed accidentally). Creates a good breeze though

Oh, and big knickers, please, not a thong. Even if you have a cute arse, most people really don't want to get an eyeful. (That was MOST. Exceptions need not post )

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Ah, you wouldn't be wearing them for long
    I know....that tit tape is a bugger to keep on when you are doing a pretzel.

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    Nothing to do with ability - just wear 'em if you want to.

But since you asked how long: in my experience, if circular skirts are longer than about knee length you might run into a few problems if the floor is crowded. I've also caught fingers (mine and my partner's) in the one circular+ skirt that I've worn occasionally (even though it's slightly above knee length - all that extra material flying around can get grabbed accidentally). Creates a good breeze though

Oh, and big knickers, please, not a thong. Even if you have a cute arse, most people really don't want to get an eyeful. (That was MOST. Exceptions need not post )
    It's like wearing Dressage boots for hacking - you can do it if you want to, but people will be dissapointed if you're not a very good rider!

And I was thinking more short trousers than big knickers!!

I know....that tit tape is a bugger to keep on when you are doing a pretzel.

That made me laff! have some rep!

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Be warned, this can become a supplementary addiction!

I danced for ages in jeans. The skirt thing started slowly - I'd admire other dancers in skirts and think 'I wonder if I could wear that?'. Then I worked up to asking dancers where they bought their skirts. When I found the answers were as often as not Marks & Spencer or DP's, I started look more closely at skirts in the shops to see how much swirl capacity they had. At first I just bought one to see how it would go. Then it was one in a different colour, one with an asymmetric hem, one with a bit more flounce, something shorter (for confident days) something ankle length that swirls from the knees (for days when the legs aren't perfect), and oh look that one's only three quid even if it is pink... Ooh what about a dress? Now I have lost count of the skirts I have and am running out of space to keep them. My most recent aquisition is a vintage 1950's number from my grandmother - not a huge swirl but got lots of praise at the NYE party. I no longer buy skirts that don't swirl. My eye scans the sale rail in every likely store and can appraise the swirl capacity at thirty paces. I have been suffering withdrawal symptoms because I've been away from home for 4.5 months with only five skirts to choose from

On a more balanced note (literally) I do find that I spin better in skirts than in trousers. I'm not crash hot at spinning at the best of times but a skirt seems to perform two functions - 1) makes me feel damn good and 2) makes me much more aware of the balance of a spin. Whether it's because I subconsciously make the effort to spin better to get the best effect from the skirt, or whether it's because the fabric makes a very slight difference to my balance, I don't know.

There will always be those who sit at the side and ogle. There will also be those who say 'wow, great skirt ' and lead a fab routine full of spins. (A subset of the latter are the few who spin you off then 'fluff' the skirt as it passes them, sometimes dropping onto one knee for a better look. Wear big knickers and don't let them put you off.)

Wear what you enjoy, and if it's a little overdressy so what? Stand proud and feel glam and the feeling will rub off on your dancing.

I usually dance in jeans. Not because I don't look good in a skirt, but because I just don't like the stupid things. Still, I wear swirly skirts and dresses to parties. Where I am also forced to wear silly heels. That's the real reason I hate skirts. I hate heels. And I look really silly wearing a nice skirt and flat shoes. Does nothing for the legs

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    I usually dance in jeans. Not because I don't look good in a skirt, but because I just don't like the stupid things. Still, I wear swirly skirts and dresses to parties. Where I am also forced to wear silly heels. That's the real reason I hate skirts. I hate heels. And I look really silly wearing a nice skirt and flat shoes. Does nothing for the legs
    I neaver wear jeans, cos I like to 'dress up' but what I normaly do is start in a dress and heels (I hate 'em) flounce about a bit and then change into my trousers and top with my (flats) so I can 'go for it' a bit later on, and that way you get two 'out fits' on

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake View Post
    There will always be those who sit at the side and ogle. There will also be those who say 'wow, great skirt ' and lead a fab routine full of spins. (A subset of the latter are the few who spin you off then 'fluff' the skirt as it passes them, sometimes dropping onto one knee for a better look. Wear big knickers and don't let them put you off.)

Wear what you enjoy, and if it's a little overdressy so what? Stand proud and feel glam and the feeling will rub off on your dancing.

And just watch out for the fans too, unless you like doing a Marilyn Monroe impersonation!

I'm with Lemoncake on this. I adore skirts and dresses.

Although there is no fixed dress code at work I end up wearing sensible skirts, suits or combats to work.. . If only they could see me at CEROC

I no longer buy non dancing skirts - EVER!!

As I only occasionally wear heels to work, when I put them on to dance I feel so special, somehow more glam.

The one exception to swirl was the dress I wore to Stirling at Christmas - It didn't swirl at all, but I seemed to be dancing non stop that night

Enjoy maxing out your Credit Cards - once you start to buy dance clothes and shoes - you are lost forever

Cheers

Whitetiger

Just for those who like to drool over swishy Dresses, here's my favourite:
    THE DRESS!

The other is the identical pattern in plain black - Yes, I have the crinoline, and Yes, it's a full circle and spins sraight out to the sides.
    Swishy enough, or am I just being a big show off??

It looks lovely - if you feel confident wearing it, then go for it. Why care if no-one else has the guts to wear something stylish? I've spent too many years thinking "I can't wear that, it's too dressy/posh/sparkly, etc." now I just buy it and find somewhere to wear it. Dancing is great for that as it gives you a good excuse!

I adopted my forum name because of one particular skirt - it's circular with two layers and spins out wonderfully. Was dancing in Swindon in it one night whilst away from home and one of the guys came up to me and just said "come on Twirly" as his invitation to dance, then span me incessantly! So be warned!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Mythical View Post
    Suddenly, I'm glad I'm not going to southport!!!! :p
    You must be mad

Commercial Operator

Ill be the one drooling

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Up to about 18 months ago i used to wear trousers all the time for dancing. I gradually started trying out heels and dresses. This is one of my more swirly ones.
    Now i don't feel right wearing trousers for dancing!
    Unfortunately i've got to try and rest my feet by laying of the heels for a while (got a stress fracture from some clod standing on my foot at dance). Went out dancing in trousers and trainers for the first time in ages on friday, felt really strange.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Mythical View Post
    Just for those who like to drool over swishy Dresses, here's my favourite:
    THE DRESS!

The other is the identical pattern in plain black - Yes, I have the crinoline, and Yes, it's a full circle and spins sraight out to the sides.
    Swishy enough, or am I just being a big show off??
    Very nice but your arms and head are missing

I'll dance in jeans, short skirts, slinky dresses, trousers and fancy top - all sorts really.

I particularly like dressing up on a Monday night when other girls are not so I stand out more and get more dances I don't really care if I'm overdressed now, in fact I'd rather feel overdressed and that I've made an effort than feel underdressed and a scruff.

Thread Information