Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blackpool Video

I thought last years vid was fine - why change?

Mind u getting up twice within a nano-second adds to the entertainment value, I spose - or was it a magic time travelling tutu?

Mr G

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Graham W
    I thought last years vid was fine - why change?

Mind u getting up twice within a nano-second adds to the entertainment value, I spose - or was it a magic time travelling tutu?

Mr G
    I thought last years vid was OK but it still had the music and dancing not quite in sync. I expect there's a story to be told about this years video which may never be told - it can't have been a month late for nothing

I will test out the time travelling capacity of my tutu. I'll try going back to a time when I wasn't going bald

Originally posted by DavidB
    - Some people only make fleeting appearances (Sorry Gus/Helen & Bill/Fran - I hope you weren't hoping for a chance to review your freestyle performances in detail!)

David

Urrr ... havent received my vids yet and ... yup, was actualy hoping to see how bad we were .... maybe it WAS so bad it was edited out

Thats the one downside of Dance Competition organisers preventing public videoing. I can fully understand why they impose that rule but when you want to look back and analyse what you did on the day ... you're totaly reliant on the cameramans attention span.

you're totaly reliant on the cameramans attention span.
    This particularly irks me. As a professional I find it annoying to be restricted to waiting an age for poor technical quality, and shocking operating skills. I don't expect broadcast quality standards, but I do expect a reasonable job for which I am paying. I wish now I had broken the rules and shot my own footage as I know I can produce far better results, but then I was too busy worrying about other things - like have we got through to the next round!!

I was looking forward to seeing the video, but am very disappointed with the workmanship, and would suggest C2D might like to find another company for next years' video, otherwise I will have to sneak in my own camera, but I would rather let someone else do it and buy the video (even if I do have to wait months to get it!!).

I think I am not alone with these opinions. Sorry, C2D - still a great event though.

Mary

Care 1st Videos

Well having been using Care 1st to produce the MJC videos for the last few years, this year JiveBug decided that they had had enough of the 'sloppy' editting quality of previous videos, and have ditched them. Yours truly now has the rather daunting task of producing the MJC7 video - and within 12 weeks as well !!

Lets hope C2D review their use of Care 1st as well.

Commercial Operator

Re: Care 1st Videos

Originally posted by rcoward
    Well having been using Care 1st to produce the MJC videos for the last few years, this year JiveBug decided that they had had enough of the 'sloppy' editting quality of previous videos, and have ditched them. Yours truly now has the rather daunting task of producing the MJC7 video - and within 12 weeks as well !!

Lets hope C2D review their use of Care 1st as well.

Hi Rob

It's great to see that my other 'prop forward' has found his way onto the Forum.

I think we all agree that the editing quality of the video leaves much to be desired. And the sound quality does too, oh yes and the picture quality. And it was late. And did anyone else's label peel off the tape onto the little door on their video? Last year I had breakfast with the guys who shot the video and they were really up for it guys. Let's hope someone gives them some constructive feedback if they're invited to film again.

But let's talk about the dancing, it was fantastic and just seeing the titles on the video brought it all flooding back. The exquisite joy of getting through to the next round (you'll be there one day, Gus) the tears when you realise you're not through to the next round - no matter how many times you looked at the list, your number still wasn't on it but the two numbers either side of you were And the pain of your prop-forwards dropping you on the floor in the final:reallymad

The funny thing is that I think I spotted one couple on the beat in the video - they must have been hard to watch in real life

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Re: Re: Care 1st Videos

Originally posted by Andy McGregor

But let's talk about the dancing, it was fantastic and just seeing the titles on the video brought it all flooding back.
    Yeah, this thread has turned into something of a moan-fest.. [pollyanna]I agree that the video leaves much to be desired, but I was glad to get it just to remind me of what a fantastic time I had at Blackpool ...can't wait to go back next year!! [/pollyanna ]

The Dashing Moderator

New vbCode tags

Originally posted by Graham in another thread
    You meanie! Emma's an artistic free spirit, not meant to be bound by the arbitrary and bureaucratic limitations of vB code!
    Originally posted by Emma
    [pollyanna].....[/pollyanna ]
    I like this idea of inventing new "tags"
    Clearly vbCode still has a long way to go to catch up with the expressiveness of the artistic spirit.
    Love dance, will travel

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Mary
    I don't expect broadcast quality standards, but I do expect a reasonable job for which I am paying. !!).
    The problem is that you we should expect broadcast quality standards. There really isnt any valid excuse for getting less than this in the days of cheap digital video cameras starting at £300. I have a background in video and computer design and had to struggle with analog equipment that still produced superior results to many dance videos ive seen. Not seen this years C2D video yet but the comments about it don't sound too promising. If C2D are serious abvout making money from a video of the event it should be of a quality that would sell to the general public. Just my opinion of course, i think C2D should see the footgae as a marketing and promotional tool as well as a way to recoup cash and hire a video company worthy of such an excellent competition.

Commercial Operator
    I've been told about a great way to watch the Blackpool video. Brighton dancer Jack told me he's been watching it with the sound down. I tried it and it's much easier to watch. And I've found and improvement too. While you're watching the silent Blackpool video put the radio on. It's surprising how many of the moves seem to fit with the random music from our local station!

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Care 1st Videos

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    The funny thing is that I think I spotted one couple on the beat in the video
    I couldn't believe it when I saw that, and thought for a mo that it was me and everyone else who was out of time. Perhaps they were forewarned about the video, now how clever would that be!
    Have now watched the whole lot, and I'm not telling which performances I was glad I missed while drinking and dining! But some of the showcases seem to have been enhanced by the video, or maybe just my nerves on the day spoiled my enjoyment of them.

greg

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Having now watched the C2D dvd, its not quite as bad as i thought it was going to be, it's merely terrible.

The footage isn't particularly good, the audio is bad and it seems like 70% of the effort went into the titles .
    Some bizarre fades in the team cabarets too and they didn't bother to have a dvd menu page....

Makes me wonder - did c2d get a really cheap company to do this and maximise profits? if so, i think its a false economy - better to pay the cost of a professional outfit and recoup through general release as well as through the dance scene. Get some voice overs, interviews with the judges etc.. seems like a gamble but i think it would sell. I ordered a dance video from amazon once and it was so bad i sent it back, so even the current dvd could compete against some general release material. We all want c2d to make money and keep going and if this is their main revenue they really need to have a rethink about quality. Anyone agree, or am i talking nonsense (again ) ?

The Forum Legend
    I agree with most you said DS. Except that it was worse than terrible IMHO.

Have just got the video of the Australian champs through, and watching that is a much more pleasant experience.

You get to see the whole of the stage, for all of the dance, for all of the rounds. So, you can watch yourself, and all of your friends dance, which, lets be honest, is the main reason anyone buys the video.

Am I speaking for myself, when I say that I really don't want the 'flashy' (or not so) special effects, or the 10 second close-up of everyone on the dance floor (but nothing else)?

Steve

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    Am I speaking for myself
    No!
    Dance video producers should take a leaf out of Fred Astaire's book, (OK I know that this was mostly a single couple dancing). Where it was a case of showing the dancing, not trying to cover it up with camera techniques. Maybe this is no longer fashionable, but how many current productions will still be aired in 60 or 70 years time?

Greg

There are schools for film and TV cameramen and editors. I would explore the idea of using an event as a class project. There are many competitors who deserve a camera to themselves.

The Forum Legend
    There may well be competitors who deserve a camera to themselves. But I don't think that is what most people want from the video. Most people seem to want to be able to see themselves (if they compete), and their friends. So while the video is concentrating on one couple, you don't get to see anyone else.

If you get a panned view of everyone who is dancing, you get to see the people who deserve the camera, but you also get to see everyone else too.

I don't really see the need to spend money on people producing a 'professional' video with effects, and close-ups etc. Just someone who can produce a good quality video record of the entire day would maybe induce me to part with my money to buy it.

Steve

Blog Entries
    completely agree that the effects and the intro bits between the rounds were more annoying than enjoyable.

would be quite happy without them.

I'm sure we have plenty gorgeous girlies who could walk quickly round the floor with a board announcing the next round a la boxing instead ???

The Forum Legend
    See. I knew that if we waited long enough, Chicklet would come up with a good idea

Steve

Blog Entries
    i'm off for a wee lie down now

The Forum Legend
    Good plan. You wouldn't want to overdo it now, would you...

Steve

Thread Information