Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TOTAL EXPRESSION the end of ceroc or the start of something new

Re: TOTAL EXPRESSION the end of ceroc or the start of something knew

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Note the complete and utter absence of any buzzwords....
    "Connection" is a pretty buzzy word at times. Right now I'm maintaining an emotional connection with the dinner I have planned after I leave work.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Ahhh, just buzz words.
    Something right from woodface

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Dancing is dancing. MJ is a mixture of dances in itself so claiming to teach a mixture of styles is nothing new.
    I knew it couldn't last

MJ is not a mixture of any dances. It's a dance in its own right. Woodface is nearly right though (so he's getting better) MJ is danced in many different styles - that's why we like it

What Howard and Nicola are teaching looks like musicality to me. They're talking about dancing to particular types of music, but the're talking about doing MJ to those types of music. I'm sure they'll be teaching moves and techniques which particularly suit those types of music, but they will be MJ moves and technique.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyAngel View Post
    This sounds like Howard and Nicola will be continuing to teach exactly what they were already teaching once a month at Berko just that last time I checked they were calling it Blues. Hardly surprising the new improved version is still ideal for dancing in the Blues room then

I'm still trying to work out what Blues is anyway (other than the music). I seem to remember a lot of what is now being called Blues was being taught by some teachers a good 15 years ago just that back then it was still called Ceroc (or "smoochy Ceroc moves" or "Ceroc suitable for slow music" depending on who you talked to).

Mind you back then Ceroc was "the partner dance from France" not "a salsa-jive fusion" too... Am I the only one a bit fed up with all the re-badging of what is essentially the same thing?

FunkyAngel
    Hot Damm, a year and a half ago I was at Howard and Nicola's workshop at Salisbury, I only got taught a 'Total Blues workshop'. Where's my Latin, Soul, Blues TOTAL EXPRESSION as suitable for Berko etc. ?????!!!!! Feel I've been ripped off now

Don't get fed up with it, rebadging is just an attempt to keep things fresh, new and entertaining. but as someone else who's been around a little while, some of things peeps come out with on this forum make me smile. In a nice way. My all time fav was 'Musicality started 4-5 years ago' or something along those lines. Musicality workshops are what used to be called 'style workshops' re-badged. And it's attracted a whole new genre of people. So that can't be bad.
    I remember Blues dancing as 'smoochy Ceroc' about ten-twelve years ago also. I did hear it called Blues around then, but not as a standalone dance 'The Blues', just as a method of describing a slow dance, as in 'it's a bit Latiny Bluesey'.

I sometimes wonder what has caused this explosion of Blues. Is it the inspiring teachers who just happen to be around right now also happen to just like that genre? the music? lack of fast dance skills? just a 'equal/opposite reaction' to the Lindy/MJ association of a while back? or just the latest fad for the fashionably bored? I really dunno, probably a mixture of all of them. For me it's the 'fashionably bored', just something a little different. Not sure I could be bothered to do a 'smoochy Ceroc style workshop', but TOTAL EXPRESSION, hell yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    I sometimes wonder what has caused this explosion of Blues.
    The story I heard was that it was imported back into the UK MJ scene from Herrang in Sweden.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    What Howard and Nicola are teaching looks like musicality to me.
    Ah, but is it TOTAL MUSICALITY?

Re: TOTAL EXPRESSION the end of ceroc or the start of something new

On the subject of new made up names for dancing styles, I know there is one called 'Jango'.

I wonder if the people who came up with this, actually realise what a 'Jango' is: see http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jango

Oooeer!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: TOTAL EXPRESSION the end of ceroc or the start of something new

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    On the subject of new made up names for dancing styles, I know there is one called 'Jango'.

I wonder if the people who came up with this, actually realise what a 'Jango' is: see http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jango

Oooeer!
    I could have done without knowing that...

purplehyacinth

I notice that this franchise has a particularly good set of workshops, including:

Note the complete and utter absence of any buzzwords, such as "Latin", "Fusion", "Sexy", "TOTAL", etc.

It does exactly what it says on the tin, in other words.

Why can't we have these in the South?

The reason that we Scots have them and you in the South don't could be because it is the Scots who are lucky enough to have Franck

Why can't we have these in the South?
    At least youre lucky enough to have these classes at all,whether they are rebadged or not, some people have to make do with one night of dancing in the WHOLE week!

Thread Information