Thread: Download you tube

Commercial Operator

Download you tube

Does anyone have a suggestion for software for downloading videos of you tube.
    There seems to be quite a few around but does anyone have one that they can recommend

Re: Download you tube

Quote Originally Posted by Simon r View Post
    Does anyone have a suggestion for software for downloading videos of you tube.
    There seems to be quite a few around but does anyone have one that they can recommend
    Yes. there's a plug-in for Firefox which allows you to download You tube Videos.

The name escapes me at the moment but I'll find it out and get back to you. it's very popular on the firefox plug-ins page so it should be easy enough to find.

Edit

as I said.. easy to find

http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

saves in .FLV format. The problem then lies in finding a decent (ie free) FLV player/ converter.

I have one of those too.. again, I'll get back to you when I find out

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I seem to have uninstalled the Fli converter. I was downloading some choice YouTube movies and converting them to a format I could use natively on my IPAQ.

I can't remember what the converter was called. But I'm sure I have the installer in my USB HDD backup somewhere.

If you find it, please let me know. I'd rather a converter. I have media player, itunes, Winamp, InterVideo WinDVD 8, Real Player, and Quicktime to play media files, I don't want any more media players on here

I shall my dear.. when I locate it, that is

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I seem to have uninstalled the Fli converter. I was downloading some choice YouTube movies and converting them to a format I could use natively on my IPAQ.

I can't remember what the converter was called. But I'm sure I have the installer in my USB HDD backup somewhere.
    I use iriverter 0.16 under Windows (Open source) to convert DVDs to avi files - and it works reliably - you just need to know the resolution of the target device. Takes about an hour to convert a DVD to the avi files.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    If you find it, please let me know. I'd rather a converter. I have media player, itunes, Winamp, InterVideo WinDVD 8, Real Player, and Quicktime to play media files, I don't want any more media players on here
    why use so many to do the same thing ? I use media player classic for everything except mp3's (and only because i prefer winamp for its playlists and queuing). One player is so much simpler.

I do have to confess.. when I first read this post this joke image crossed my mind.
    Last edited by Beowulf; 7th-November-2007 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    why use so many to do the same thing ? I use media player classic for everything except mp3's (and only because i prefer winamp for its playlists and queuing). One player is so much simpler.
    I end up with files in different formats and they play better in different players. I use iTunes to organise music for my ipod etc, I use dvd player to play most movie files and media player came with my computer. Real Player and Quick Time are required to play certain website's movie clips and to make certain programs function... iTunes requires QuickTime for example.

I do just use the dvd player and iTunes for most things. I have to play some of my stargate episodes in media player ;-) codecs etc.

I don't know why I have winamp I used to use it all the time, but now I have iTunes and I like it more.

I do have to confess.. when I first read this post this joke image crossed my mind.
    Off-topic (sorry) but does anyone have any idea how many MB the internet actually is?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Off-topic (sorry) but does anyone have any idea how many MB the internet actually is?
    Quite seriously... I think the answer would be pretty mind-boggling.

Expecially if I think about the fact that my Mac (technically connected to the internet) has, if you include internal and external drives, about 1.2 terabytes of storage. For just one (maybe a touch above average spec) home computer.

It's a pretty big internet out there

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Yes. 0mb. Its a common misconception that "the Internet" describes everything you can download as well as all the infrastructure. It doesn't. The internet is a collection of networks connected to other networks with a lot of addressing servers all over the place to help us find other computers on it. Thats it.

If you want to know how much information is on any of the computers connected to the internet you need to look at these computers individually. Remember of course that millions of computers connect and disconnect from the internet every minute. Where there is a permanent connection e.g. the Amazon.com webserver we then have to decide how to "count" the amount of information. Do we count the viewable information from a visitors point of view - the pictures, text and sound that the website can give you? DO we ALSO count the information that is transfered to visitors computers when they look at it? thats millions of downloads of all the text, images and sound that they look at. Of course thats only the WWW. We cant forget the millions of gigabytes of information sent to and from client machines playing World of Warcraft, Counter Strike and other online games. Then there's email - billions of messages are passed through mail servers until they get to their destination, until a few years ago email traffic was bigger than web traffic - not anymore though, by a long way

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Yes. 0mb. Its a common misconception that "the Internet" describes everything you can download as well as all the infrastructure

So I suppose a better question would be how much data ,on average, is being transferred over this infrastructure at any one time.

Still big numbers.

I shall my dear.. when I locate it, that is
    Any advance on that sweetheart?

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    Any advance on that sweetheart?
    Actually.... Yes.

The Flv converter I use is RIVA FLV encoder. It's free and it converts WMV's to FLV's but according to a posting I read on a forum it has an "undocumented" feature. If you type in the name of an FLV file as a source, and the name of a WMV file as a destination it will actually work in reverse.

Get it here

Thank you honey :-) I shall give that a try.

Thread Information