Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ceroc Exams

The Oracle
    Originally posted by PeterL
    In my capacity as worrier I would like to point out there is no such thing as a "bad" dancer.
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    There are plenty of 'bad' dancers. People who have gone past the beginner stage, but are still exhibiting all of the traits that are generally regarded as not being the general way to dance (thumbs on the back of hands (and death grips), stiff arms, spaghetti arms, bouncing, airsteps, etc etc.)
    I'm going to disagree with both Peter & TheTramp.

There is no one right way of doing Modern Jive. But some ways are better than others, and some ways are wrong.

There is only one rule in Modern Jive - don't hurt your partner (or anyone else). So there is only one thing that could be considered 'wrong' or 'bad' - being a danger to either yourself, your partner, or others dancing near you.

Then there are other dancers who are just not very good. I would put in this category the noodle arms, the men who can't lead, the ladies who always backlead etc. (But not beginners - give them a chance first!) They are rarely a danger to anyone - they just take away some of the enjoyment from their partner.

This affects the way I dance.
    - If I'm dancing with a lady who backleads for example, then I can adjust my dancing slightly. I can try a few variations that may make her stop. Or I just let her lead everything.
    - If I'm dancing with someone who is hurting me, then I start 'defensive' dancing. This is a whole different way of leading - flat hands, isolating my hand from my body, etc. The idea is to minimise the damage she can inflict on me.
    - And if the couple next to me are being dangerous, I might start 'offensive' dancing.

David

The Forum Legend
    Ah.

But David. You missed my main point.

Which wasn't just about the things that people do wrongly. But those people who do things wrongly, and have no desire to stop doing those things, and don't want to improve.

That would be my definition of a bad dancer. People who just do wrong things, because they are new, or because they don't know any better, aren't bad. Just in-experienced.

Steve

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    Originally posted by DavidB
    I might start 'offensive' dancing.

This conjures such an interesting mental image, David ...do you mean you start *being* offensive (which honestly I can't imagine you doing...erm..rude gestures or something??) or do you go on the offensive?

The Forum Legend
    I know what he means

It's when the couple next to you (or usually the guy part of the couple anyhow), starts dancing with no regard for anyone else. Sometimes this means airsteps, but usually just in the way they throw their partner round, and the moves they do, without taking account of the space available.

Usually then, I put myself between my partner and them. And start taking up their space. They want to bounce off me..... fine. I know who'll (usually) win that battle Same goes for David too.

Steve

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    I know what he means
    mmmyeah, I knew what he meant too....but the thought of DavidB making rude gestures was entertaining me no end...

..some of us are just easily amused, I guess

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.
    Originally posted by gcapell

Ceroc Dance has an "Intermediate/Advanced" (I/A) card. You get the card by dancing with an I/A teacher who gives you feedback and/or the card. On the regular I/A class nights, they split the class into two rotations, and you need the I/A card to join the I/A rotation (although it's not policed very vigorously). They also require the I/A card to sign up for some I/A routines. Similarly there's an Advanced card that's required to attempt Advanced routines.
    Looks like my news was almost immediately outdated.

from latest Ceroc Dance newsletter
    We promised them to you and as of Thursday 17th July at Club Willoughby
    they're here - the GOLD Level Advanced Classes. Once every 4-6 weeks at a
    nominated venue the regular Intermediate/Advanced Class will be replaced
    by a NEW Advanced Class open to GOLD Advanced Cardholders and Blue I/A
    Cardholders ONLY (ask your teacher how you qualify for either card). While
    the Gold Advanced Class rotations (or you can choose to stay with your own
    partner) cater for both Gold and Blue cardholders, don't worry if you're
    either a Beginner or an Intermediate, there's still a class for you to
    enjoy at the same time with your own individual teacher.

The GOLD Level Advanced Classes will take your freestyle dancing to
    another level, focussing on dance topics including "playing with rhythm &
    syncopations", "fancy footwork", "improvisations", "latin rhythm & cuban
    motion", "using music highs & lows", "body lines and extensions",
    "freestyling lifts & mini-aerials" and other styling and finishing touch
    techniques that separate the GREAT dancers from the good dancers..... If
    you'd like to be one of the greats, don't miss these classes.
    I'm looking forward to the first gold class, and interested to see how not-so-gold folks react.

The Dashing Moderator

Looking Good vs Feeling Good

Originally posted by Gadget
    Just as a small diversion; are the dancers that look impressive the best ones to actually dance with?
    I don't think so; while you may see stylish dancers on the floor, you may not 'click' as well with them as their {current dance} partner does - you may have a better dance with someone who is calm, precise and a good lead rather than someone who throws you into wild {but impressive} spins, dips and poses.
    I've also wondered the same thing - think I agree with Gadget.
    As a diversion to Gadget's diversion - are moves which look good the ones that feel good? Are there some which don't look good to bystanders but are nicer to be led into?
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator

Re: Looking Good vs Feeling Good

Originally posted by DavidY
    are moves which look good the ones that feel good? Are there some which don't look good to bystanders but are nicer to be led into?
    Those sexy moves look good, and usually sexy, unless it's me doing them. But do they feel sexy? Quite a few 'sexy' moves involve lowering your partner over your knees/thighs. When I do that my only thoughts are 'Will I be able to get up from this without my knees creaking or giving way'

Then again, there are loads of moves that look good and feel good. But, unless it's a competition, I always go for feeling good. Who cares who's watching, they should be dancing. That saying 'Dance like there's nobody looking' is my mantra - unless, of course, there's somebody looking

Thread Information