Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Exams

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Gadget
    ...an excelent teacher who is an OK dancer will make more of an impression than an excelent dancer who is an OK teacher. {IMHO}
    Totally agree. And excellent teachers who are excellent dancers... are simply awesome! Like Hasse and Marie from Sweden (boogie woogie). . .

The American Gigolo

Agree 110%

Originally posted by Lindsay
    Like Hasse and Marie from Sweden (boogie woogie). . .
    Must agree with Lindsay 110% on this one! Hasse & Marie are probably the most energetic/fun/outgoing......teaching couple I've come across. The way they feed off of each other during the class is absolutely fantastic!!!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Agree 110%

Originally posted by Brady
    . The way they feed off of each other during the class is absolutely fantastic!!!
    Im restraining myself and staying on topic instead .

I'd say that a good teacher is a large part attitude, a larger part communication and a lesser part knowledge of the subject. The good pupils always eventually beat the master in all the martial arts films dont they ? So you can teach people to be better than you are by being clever enough to know what you are, and are not capable of and having the ability to see it in them too. Arrogance is NOT a good trait for a teacher .

I think that people would be even more 'clique-ish' {sp?} if there was a way to discriminate between "Good" dancers and "Beginner" dancers.
    But there already is a way - it's called watching them. As (beyond a point of basic competence) who's good/bad is highly subjective, the gradings would surely also need to be subjective?

Perhaps we could all have little pins that we give out to partners we were really impressed with. They could be in the style of our forum avatars. So when you see a guy with a Lucy and a Tigger, etc, you girls will be queuing up!

What does everyone think?

[If this catches on, please PM me Bill, as I could have a financial opportunity you may be interested in ]

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Graham
    So when you see a guy with a Lucy and a Tigger, etc, you girls will be queuing up!

What does everyone think?
    nice idea but Bill wouldnt have an inch of space left on his body that wasnt covered with a sticker, and the rest of us would leave in embarassment

Sal
    Yup, I don't think Bill would be able to dance under the weight of all those pins!

At the same time we would run the risk of offending people. What about the people you are friends with, but don't enjoy their dancing style?

It would end up that the men would only ask women that had "pinned" them. Would the fact that they were not rated with a pin in the past constitute a good enough reason to refuse the offer of a dance?

Can you tell that I am bored and have too much time on my hands?!?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Sal
    Can you tell that I am bored and have too much time on my hands?!?
    I have just the same problem.

So, stickers arent a good idea - everyone moans about the people they'd rather not dance with but all politely still do so when asked, refusing to sticker them would not be a very subtle way of letting them know how you feel, and do we really want to do that ? I'd give up dancing .

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    I have just the same problem.

So, stickers arent a good idea - and do we really want to do that ? I'd give up dancing .
    Well, it's not ALL bad!!

Originally posted by Graham
    But there already is a way - it's called watching them.
    Just as a small diversion; are the dancers that look impressive the best ones to actually dance with?
    I don't think so; while you may see stylish dancers on the floor, you may not 'click' as well with them as their {current dance} partner does - you may have a better dance with someone who is calm, precise and a good lead rather than someone who throws you into wild {but impressive} spins, dips and poses.

Perhaps we could all have little pins that we give out to partners we were really impressed with.
    So you would be judging people as you dance with them?? &ltshudder&gt I can ony think on negatives for this scenario.

Pins for bad dancers, stickers for good ones? Would kind of speed up the learning process {"bad dancer!"&ltjab&gt..."good dancer"&ltstroke&gt}

everyone moans about the people they'd rather not dance with ......I'd give up dancing .
    Don't be so negative, Nik. Not everyone moans about you.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Pins for bad dancers, stickers for good ones?
    Good idea - stab the bad ones with a pin - caress the good ones with a sticker.

Sal

Pins for bad dancers, stickers for good ones? Would kind of speed up the learning process {"bad dancer!"&ltjab&gt..."
    Be handy for the perpetrators of aerial steps on a crowded dance floor!

In my capacity as worrier I would like to point out there is no such thing as a "bad" dancer.

We ceroc for enjoyment and half our pleasure comes from the pleasure of others, being good in the way it has been discussed on this thread is subjective.

Having enjoyed yourself is not, if you don't like dancing with someone, and they are doing there best, then you haven't really grasped the spirit of ceroc, or maybe it is just the way I view it.

It is as much fun dancing with a "bad" dancer as a "good" one each dance is a different experience and judging people against eachother is fine for people who choose to enter competitions but most dancers go to ceroc believing that they are there to have fun and not be judged as good or bad.

Maybe the above is the ramblimgs of a "bad" dancer but I am passionate about dancing and the acceptance of all "good" or "bad" is part of what makes it so attractive to me.

so giving people pins stickers or anything else is an abhorent suggestion and if you need that sort of validation then just ask people if they think you are "good".

Sal

Thanks Peter....

That was what I was trying to say, but am just not eloquent enough! I am going to find Heather for some english lessons!

Originally posted by PeterL
    if you need that sort of validation then just ask people if they think you are "good".

I have been told (frequently) that I'm an "unusual" dancer....whatever that means!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Aleks
    I have been told (frequently) that I'm an "unusual" dancer....whatever that means!
    Id take it as a compliment, i think you're someone that always loooks like theyre having fun.

In my capacity as worrier I would like to point out there is no such thing as a "bad" dancer.[/B]
    Indeed. I'd fully expect to get pinned at least as much as I'm stickered. I'd keep score hoping for that magical and elusive 'all sticker' night .

Originally posted by Aleks

I've been called unorthodox a few times.

The Forum Legend
    In my capacity as worrier I would like to point out there is no such thing as a "bad" dancer.

We ceroc for enjoyment and half our pleasure comes from the pleasure of others, being good in the way it has been discussed on this thread is subjective.

Having enjoyed yourself is not, if you don't like dancing with someone, and they are doing there best, then you haven't really grasped the spirit of ceroc, or maybe it is just the way I view it.

It is as much fun dancing with a "bad" dancer as a "good" one each dance is a different experience and judging people against eachother is fine for people who choose to enter competitions but most dancers go to ceroc believing that they are there to have fun and not be judged as good or bad.

Maybe the above is the ramblimgs of a "bad" dancer but I am passionate about dancing and the acceptance of all "good" or "bad" is part of what makes it so attractive to me.

so giving people pins stickers or anything else is an abhorent suggestion and if you need that sort of validation then just ask people if they think you are "good".

Sorry. Have to disagree with you Peter. There are plenty of 'bad' dancers. People who have gone past the beginner stage, but are still exhibiting all of the traits that are generally regarded as not being the general way to dance (thumbs on the back of hands (and death grips), stiff arms, spaghetti arms, bouncing, airsteps, etc etc.) - and who have no desire to improve.

I'd agree that anyone who is looking to improve, shouldn't be labelled as a 'bad' dancer. Maybe you could call them 'beginners'. Even after they've been dancing 4 years

Steve

Commercial Operator
    Id take it as a compliment,
    I wouldn't..... have you seen her dancing?!?

Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
    I wouldn't..... have you seen her dancing?!?
    I'll get you later for that - I'll try at least!

Thread Information