Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Exams

Ceroc Exams

Having taking a slurp of thinking waters (OK ... so it was a very LARGE Bacardi and Coke but the effect is the same) .... the end to the debate about who is a good or bad dancers is clear!

As Ceroc is able to define what is and isn't a Ceroc move it is only a small step forward to instigate a series of competence assesment exams, as in Music or 'proper' dancing (i.e. Ballroom). All dancers seeking accreditation would simply have to trog down to their local exam board (probably based in London, especially if you're from Scotland) and face a panel of judges and try to pass your grade exams.

Of course, only those passing the requisite exams would be allowed to call themselves Advanced, Super Advanced, DAMN Good etc etc. A sure moneyspinner for Ceroc and an ego booster for everyone else. OK ... when do we start

Exams

O.K so why allow Ceroc the pleasure? Why dont you in your infinate capability as O.D.A. start an independant Modern Jive review examinations board. Based in the north west of England so at least it would be in the middle of the country. Gold medals etc could be handed out at the premier dnace events outside of the M25.

I think this is a good idea Gus, as it would give dancers a 'non competitive' route to improve their dancing. And perhaps it would mean that Ceroc intermediate classes would repeat a core group of moves more often rather than trying to work their way through all of the 500 odd at their disposal.

Grant

Blog Entries
    It's only gonna work if there are sew on badges awarded for each level.

I have to butt in here, I have read so many threads about competitions and how they are subjective, how would it be a good idea to award levels of proficiency for dancing in a certain way as judged by others.

The whole beaty of ceroc (modern jive) is you can play with the moves, you can make up your own. you can add your own style or incorporate a style from another form of dance.

Gus is obviously trying to play ODA here because I can't seriously think he thinks this would be a good idea.

If you want everyone dancing exactly the same then that would be the way to go, but personally I would very quickly get bored of ceroc if I thought I had to dance each move exactly as was taught.

intermediate and advanced ceroc is more to do with the ability to lead and improvise and you can be a brilliant dancer to one person and the worst dancer to the next.

Please Gus admit it now you are just trying to have a joke with us by suggesting this ridiculous idea.

Hmm, interesting idea ....

However, I know many many people would disagree, but I can't for the life of me think why anyone would choose to do an exam for a hobby like this - unless you were aiming to teach or something.

Is it because people want something to aim for/a challenge/need to prove something to themselves? But surely you don't need a certificate/medal to motivate you and tell you how good you are, do you?

The reason I gave up tae kwon do was because I wasn't allowed to do it 'just for fun' and kept being pressed to do gradings. Before the last of my gradings, full of nerves, I suddenly thought - this isn't fun, why am I doing it? So I stopped. Which is a shame in a way because I've never been as thin or as fit as when I did tae kwon do....

Still, having said all that, as long as Ceroc or modern jive exams remained discretionary, then that's fine by me!

Rachel

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by PeterL

Please Gus admit it now you are just trying to have a joke with us by suggesting this ridiculous idea.
    Course he's not, Gus is always 100% serious in all his posts - the O.D.A tag is just a cover (that no one ever seems to pay attention to strangely lol)

Sal
    The best thing about being a follower, is that you get to sample many different dancing styles and techniques. Exams would just narrow the syllabus and the styles.

The beauty of ceroc is that it is just for fun. There are many threads on the forum about how awful competitions are. If you dont like them, don't go. Instead frequent the freestyles/classes that you do like.

{I'm sure that this has been covered in another thread somewhere...}

Exams I think are a bad move, but some keepsake or recognition that you have attended specific workshops would be cool: you could get a passport stamped (or a sew on badge for chickie's brownie uniform) to show you had attended it.

I think that people would be even more 'clique-ish' {sp?} if there was a way to discriminate between "Good" dancers and "Beginner" dancers.

Personally I judge my ability by a few milestones: "oh good" when a lady is rotated to me; activly being sought out by a lady; being asked to stay on for another dance; { ... perhaps this is more noteriety than ability...} How can you put these things into an exam?

Sal
    Originally posted by Gadget
    ... perhaps this is more noteriety than ability

We are just being polite.

Blog Entries
    Gus, these exams need to have an oral as well as a physical. Please make sure this is included.

Sal
    Does the oral have anything to do with your tag line?

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Sal
    Does the oral have anything to do with your tag line?
    Gus PMed me and said I could be chairchick of the exam panel.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Chicklet

ooh Matron!

Sal
    That's cos you know what your are doing!

Blog Entries
    bit out of practice though....might need to organise a workshop to hone the old skills

this'll be Friday afternoon then and just goes to show we don't actually NEED old scooby slap head to lead the smut:sorry

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    we don't actually NEED old scooby slap head to lead the smut:sorry

Blog Entries
    (don't you go telling him I said that now!!!! he'll be quite hurt if he thinks we're not missing him)

that said, it probably would have been onto its third page if he was here

Sal
    Well, some of us have to pretend to be working!

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Sal
    Well, some of us have to pretend to be working!
    oh Sal sorry that wasn't a dig at ALL !!!! just me remembering a couple of times when we went on and on and on and on being REALLY silly and suddenly clicked after a few pages that there wasn't another soul on

Thread Information