Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Struggles!!!

Re: Sleep Struggles!!!

There's a sleep problems page and test, etc. at http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/

Sweet dreams,
    SpinDr

Registered User SeriouslyAddicted's Avatar

Am I the only one that turns to alcohol to sleep Had this cough and cold thing that was goign around but 2 glasses of JD later and had the best nights sleep for a long time!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslyAddicted View Post
    Am I the only one that turns to alcohol to sleep
    Yes, you are. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Registered User SeriouslyAddicted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Yes, you are. You should be ashamed of yourself!
    A girl can't be all good and it is my only vice - well that I'll publicly admit to anyway

I have problems sleeping as well. I sometimes struggle to sleep and sometimes I go out like a light.

BUT, in the morning I don't feel rested at all and just feel really tired. But then again I always feel really tired. (we don't have a "sleepy" smiley)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    There are a few threads on this one already - here's a couple:

There may be some helpful advice in there. Although you're probably asleep by now
    Thanks David!

Yup, I've been an insomniac since I was 4 years old (see the 'NIGHTMARE!! Can't sleep' thread), and it's not much fun. However, in the past couple of years, it's not been too bad.

I find that absolutely none of the advice I've been given (over the past many years) has helped at all. Occasionally I get sleepy if I have a hot bath (especially if I've been really cold all day!), or after a lot of really hard exercise. But I have been known to go hillwalking all day, come home, have a bath, and stay awake all night...

Last night I couldn't fall asleep until after 3am, and then woke up around 8am. In addition, the sleep was broken and restless, as I've got a really annoying cough which seems to get worse at night.

Hope you'll sleep well tonight, honey!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    I find that absolutely none of the advice I've been given (over the past many years) has helped at all.
    Been there, done that, not slept in the T-shirt.

I especially love it when people say "Oh, it's all in your mind" or my absolute favourite of "Just relax and you'll fall asleep.". Yeah, thanks...

If you haven't experienced insomnia, you've no idea how frustrating it can be.

Anyway, enough of this negativity.

Sleep well, all

Quote Originally Posted by spindr View Post
    There's a sleep problems page and test, etc. at http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/

Sweet dreams,
    SpinDr
    And the test asked all the wrong questions!

According to this test, I scored:

Your sleep is very well optimised, scoring 85 %.
    You said you have a problem with sleep, but you are not at all sleepy during the day, which indicates your body is getting the sleep it needs. Quality of sleep is more important than quantity. You may find your personalised advice below useful for the odd bad night.

Funny that, because I always feel tired, and I regularly have problems falling asleep (staying awake for hours), and frequently wake up during the night and then can't fall asleep again.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Funny that, because I always feel tired, and I regularly have problems falling asleep (staying awake for hours), and frequently wake up during the night and then can't fall asleep again.
    I know what you mean! Although this probably sounds like bliss to those of you who can't sleep at all at the moment, I seem to be limited by my own body to about 5 1/2 or 6 hours (need about 7+). So 3am to bed after Hammersmith on Saturday night = waking at 9am and unable to focus, totally knackered to bed on Sunday night at about 11.30 = waking at 5.15, even more knackered last night, lights out at 10.15 (and figuring I'd sleep till 5 so would get an extra hour in!) and I woke at 4!! I just don't understand why my body does it when I'm tired...

I wish I could get up and do something to utilise the time, but I feel so tired that I can't. If I'm having one of my can't get to sleep patches it's not so bad, as I can do housework, read, or do something to use the time. But 4 or 5am and all I want to is go back to sleep and can't.

Freya - if you're still having problems, I'd just suggest that you don't fight it and just resign yourself to staying up that night. Leave your bed (so it doesn't become associated with the frustration of not sleeping) and do something else. Go back to bed if you start to feel sleepy. Not a lot else you can do otherwise. Hopefully though the dancing will have sorted you out! In the meantime

Ooooh, this is funny! According to the previous test I took, I'm perfectly normal and healthy, and don't have a sleeping problem. However, this test says:

Your Sleep Test Results
    You show symptoms of sleep apnea, a potentially serious sleep disorder. People with sleep apnea quit breathing repeatedly, often hundreds of times during their nights sleep.

You show symptoms of insomnia, which is defined as a persistent inability to fall asleep or stay asleep.

You show symptoms of narcolepsy, a life-long disorder characterized by uncontrollable sleep attacks during normal waking hours.

You show symptoms of periodic limb movement disorder, a disorder resulting in uncontrollable leg or arm movements during sleep.

Thanx for all the replies guys.

I know that I'm not an Insomniac but it's hard when you know that you need sleep but you can't when normally you have no problems.

Well I'm back in from dancing and went for a drink after...Just to be out a bit longer.

Hopefully I'll be ok tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Anyone else Struggling to sleep?

Lately I've had trouble getting to sleep! And here I am at 2 in the mornign posting a thread in the forum coz I'm wide awake!
    Actually I've been hearing this from quite a few people recently (and I've been having hot chocolate at 4am quite a bit too)

Maybe Mercury's in retrograde or something?

(I have no idea what this means, but it seems to be blamed for a lot)

Tonbridge, Kent, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way, The Universe.

Well I've been struggling with sleep for the last 2/3 years - probably averaging around 4/5 hours a night. Biggest problem is simply staying up too late - average bedtime being 2-3 a.m.

My latest idea is that instead of trying to grab whatever lie in I can to make up for staying up late, I will instead try and be disciplined and get up at the same time every day, not matter how tired I feel. That way, come bed time i will hopefully be more inclined to sleep when I'm supposed to and go to bed on time. I started today by setting my alarm for 8am, and I will put it back 5 mins every day until I can get up at 7 very morning, even if I need to or not.

Paul

Just practicing for Southport......

Another technique to assist with sleeping is using Melatonin - this is a hormone produced by your body during the nighttime. It's not available over the counter in the UK (prescription only unfortunately), but is really easily available in the US. I use it for combating jet lag, as it helps to reset my body clock a lot quicker, and get decent sleeps when my body thinks it should be awake.

If you know someone going to the US, it'd probably worth asking whether they can bring some back for you?

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Melatonin - this is a hormone produced by your body during the nighttime.
    I've seen/heard about theories that having a dark bedroom can help your sleep - I think it's to do with the body's natural production of melatonin. Also making sure your alarm clock (if you must have an illuminated one) has red light (rather than other colour) is supposed to help. See here, for instance.

So start investing in those blackout curtains..
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I've seen/heard about theories that having a dark bedroom can help your sleep - I think it's to do with the body's natural production of melatonin. Also making sure your alarm clock (if you must have an illuminated one) has red light (rather than other colour) is supposed to help. See here, for instance.

So start investing in those blackout curtains..
    I stayed in a hotel once (you'd think a hotel would have blackout curtains) that had a floor to ceiling window with orange street lights outside - it took me ages to get to sleep.

On the other side, I forgot to set my alarm the other morning and woke up 'naturally' at about 8:10am (then had to rush to get to work on time!) and felt less tired through the day than I usually do. I think trying to get myself to wake up when its dark is a problem. I had thought of getting a dawn simulator alarm clock, maybe I should next winter.

After problems sleeping at previous weekenders, I invested in a blindfold (is that the right word, or is there one I'm forgetting?) and ear-plugs. I take them with me to anywhere where I think I might have problems getting sleep due to light or noise.

Certainly easier than taking your own black-out curtains with you.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslyAddicted View Post
    Am I the only one that turns to alcohol to sleep Had this cough and cold thing that was goign around but 2 glasses of JD later and had the best nights sleep for a long time!!
    Alcohol is the last thing that i turn to when trying to sleep I find that it might help me start sleeping but i will probably be awake again in a couple of hours time and then unable to sleep again until about 5 or 6am.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Alcohol makes me sick therefore keeping me up all night.

As a diagnosed insomniac i have learned to deal with no sleep and i mean NO sleep, i go through phases of insomnia where it will be worse than others and this can last for days, weeks or months. i would normally sleep about 4 hours a night which turns out to be handy as i have me time to read or watch tv without thinking i need to be somewhere or do something. i prefer to stay up late than go to bed early and wake up early.The earliest i have been awake was 2 am. My problem is getting to sleep and staying asleep. I often wake up twice an hour. I can completely sympathise

I had a blissful sleep last sat night, for the first time in ages ( i actually cant rem last time) i fell asleep and woke up 6 hours later in the exact same position....it makes it all worthwhile!

I also sleep better when i have a wolf in the bed.

Thread Information