Thread: (Mostly for men): using Shazam on the dancefloor

(Mostly for men): using Shazam on the dancefloor

Some of you will be aware/have used Shazam. Basically, you dial 2580 (or 9-2580) then let your phone 'listen' to the music being played for 30 seconds, then it sends a text with details of the artist and song.

Very clever - and it works.

(Incidentally, it was introduced to me by a taxi in Stevenage last year).

My question/issue is this: I increasingly find myself wanting to know "what is that great track being played?" during an evening. Fine if I am standing there and have my mobile phone (rare for me) - then I can use it ok.

What if I am on the dancefloor? Could you whip out your trusty Nokia and dial Shazam during an extended Side-to-Side? How about just feeling inside your pocket to dial - or would that be mistaken as a signal for a Spangle Whirly Woody Basket - with potentially dire results?

Of course, asking the DJ is the nr. 1 choice - although I find myself very quickly using up all my goodwill after 2 asks - plus it does interrupt their flow if you keep on asking. Playlists are something else - (yes please!) - for the DJ discussion area I think. This post is to see if the dancer in situ can get all they need.

Another option is to have a non-dancing person who you could signal to if you wanted to Shazam a track. Again this has a lot of dependencies, ifs and buts.

Any thoughts or creative ideas?!

PS - Mostly for men because (i) it is quite rare (in my experience) for a woman to have a mobile readily available in a pocket (ii) it is probably more disruptive for a woman to do this during the dance (iii) maybe only a guy would even want to consider this.

PPS Shazam is at http://www.shazam.com/music/portal

Blog Entries

Re: (Mostly for men): using Shazam on the dancefloor

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    PS - Mostly for men because (i) it is quite rare (in my experience) for a woman to have a mobile readily available in a pocket (ii) it is probably more disruptive for a woman to do this during the dance (iii) maybe only a guy would even want to consider this.
    That's complete rubbish. At least the woman often has her left (spare) hand handy*.

(But, you're right. Most women wouldn't consider it. She'd simply go and ask the DJ what track she's just played).

*BTW, this is a clever pun, as handy means "mobile" in German

I'll always go and ask the DJ what the track was. I've only been refused once sadly but on all other occasions the info has been gladly shared (although once I was asked to keep it under my hat as the track was being tested ready for Southport - fair request IMO)

{snip, blah blah blah }
    What a load of absolute b0ll0cks

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    What a load of absolute b0ll0cks

If there was a great track being played I would ask the DJ afterwards. humming some piece of the song of mentioning which track it preceded or followed.

I certainly wouldn't fumble for a mobile phone during a dance. How rude.

This one of those great dance tips from that (mildly entertaining) Blog of yours again?

I thought Shazam was the magic word used in the animated Arabian Nights in the Banana Splits.

Maybe someone else remembers it was only about tw ...rmmmpphhl ... years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    I thought Shazam was the magic word used in the animated Arabian Nights in the Banana Splits.

Maybe someone else remembers it was only about tw ...rmmmpphhl ... years ago!
    Wasn't that "Size of a ...." and some animal causing the wizard to turn into that animal? "Size of an Ox!" "Size of a mouse!" etc..

Shazam was in a different cartoon IIRC

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    It was the secret word used by Captain Marvel to transform into his superhero secreat identity:

Whenever Billy speaks the wizard's name, he is instantly struck by a magic lightning bolt that transforms him into an adult superhero empowered with the abilities of six mythological figures.
    I wonder what the equivalent word in MJ would be? "No Bounce!" ?

And if you had to pick 6 MJ dance figures to have the abilities of, who would you choose...?

What if I am on the dancefloor? Could you whip out your trusty Nokia and dial Shazam during an extended Side-to-Side? How about just feeling inside your pocket to dial - or would that be mistaken as a signal for a Spangle Whirly Woody Basket - with potentially dire results?
    hummm... let me think.... I'd say....
    NO

hummm... let me think... get a brain may be?
    I mean, how would you feel if the lady was texting her friend during your dance ? cause that's about the same, not only you're not available 100% for dancing, but you're clearly showing to your partner that something else than your dance (dare I say, her) is more important to you right now. Best way to spoil a dance IMHO.

PS - Mostly for men because (...) (iii) maybe only a guy would even want to consider this.
    Actually, I'm hoping it would be just you. (poll anybody?)

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    are you out of your mind JiveLad?

Some of you will be aware/have used Shazam. Basically, you dial 2580 (or 9-2580) then let your phone 'listen' to the music being played for 30 seconds, then it sends a text with details of the artist and song.

Very clever - and it works.

(Incidentally, it was introduced to me by a taxi in Stevenage last year).

My question/issue is this: I increasingly find myself wanting to know "what is that great track being played?" during an evening. Fine if I am standing there and have my mobile phone (rare for me) - then I can use it ok.

Of course, asking the DJ is the nr. 1 choice - although I find myself very quickly using up all my goodwill after 2 asks - plus it does interrupt their flow if you keep on asking. Playlists are something else - (yes please!) - for the DJ discussion area I think. This post is to see if the dancer in situ can get all they need.

Another option is to have a non-dancing person who you could signal to if you wanted to Shazam a track. Again this has a lot of dependencies, ifs and buts.

PPS Shazam is at http://www.shazam.com/music/portal
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post

If there was a great track being played I would ask the DJ afterwards. humming some piece of the song of mentioning which track it preceded or followed.

This one of those great dance tips from that (mildly entertaining) Blog of yours again?
    Well no it's not a tip of mine! As I mentioned in my post - I don't ever take my mobile phone with me when I go dancing. It was just an idea - as someone (a taxi) showed me Shazam - when I was discussing a particular track with him - and it was something new to me. So I was wondering if anyone else had used it.

As I mentioned, I always ask the DJ myself. I was just floating an idea!!

Use your phone / other gizmo to record the entire set.

Then play it back at home, and use shazam there

SpinDr

Ok serious answer. I try and remember a few of the words. Then google it when I get home. Then go on ITunes or Amazon and click on the demo version to check I've got the right one. If you want to remember lots of songs, just save a text of some of the lyrics when you've finished the dance.

I just remember some of the lyrics from the song, or listen out for the "chorus" / "main bit" of the song and then Google that looking for the lyrics etc.

Normally comes up with the song.

Thread Information