Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Aspects of the feminine divine in 'modern' religions

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Aspects of the feminine divine in 'modern' religions

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Many people manage to be violent and aggressive without using religion as a reason. If you blame religion for its violence, you have to credit religion for its generosity.
    Perhaps thats true but I would never do such a thing. My point was its not the RELIGION that is charitable or violent its the people that are charitable or violent. To blame the religion for the violent acts is wrong you agree, but i think its just as much a disservice to "blame" the religion for the charitable acts - surely the people can be charitable without being "told to" by their religion. Of course a religion can preach both charitable acts and violence (most do) but its up to the people to emphasise the charitable aspects.

If you say that people are people before they are Christians, then you have to apply that logic to Christian warmongers as well as Christian aid-workers.
    Yes, of course - why wouldn't you ?

Of course, the best of both worlds is to find a religion that has good works done in its name, yet has never had a war fought in its name.
    I think a lot of pagan religions may qualify, and possibly buddhism Remember there were always wars and there was always religion but Holy Wars are historically quite rare, Christians and Muslims being the most notable culprits of this sort of nonsense.

Re: Aspects of the feminine divine in 'modern' religions

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Perhaps thats true but I would never do such a thing. My point was its not the RELIGION that is charitable or violent its the people that are charitable or violent. To blame the religion for the violent acts is wrong you agree, but i think its just as much a disservice to "blame" the religion for the charitable acts - surely the people can be charitable without being "told to" by their religion. Of course a religion can preach both charitable acts and violence (most do) but its up to the people to emphasise the charitable aspects.
    Everyone who is charitable by nature will be charitable, regardless of who does or does not tell them to be. However, the church helps charity by organising bodies of like-minded men and women to go to places such as Third World countries and help the people there. Even before I became a Christian, described myself as agnostic and had no particular inclination towards the church, I always recognised it as a fantastic charity. There are a large number of charitable organisations (MAF, Tearfund, Mercy Ships and MEDAIR to name but a few) that are Christian in nature.

Thread Information