Thread: In the name of the...?

In the name of the...?

Found this during the Christmas break and it just turned up while I am sorting out the flat...

Of course, no one will defend this, not even the most die hard pro-religionist. And of course it is at least as much about men's fear of women becoming too powerful as it is about religion.

But it is also yet another instance of how people can justify the most ghastly and vicious atrocities by appealing to fables and fairy stories...

Re: In the name of the...?

Sickening; truly sickening Let us not get confused here. This has nothing to do with true Muslims or Islam. Just as shooting someone through the kneecaps in Belfast has nothing to do with Christianity or Jesus.

Qur'an
    [17:33] You shall not kill any person - for GOD has made life sacred...
    [2:190] You may fight in the cause of GOD against those who attack you, but do not aggress. GOD does not love the aggressors.
    [2:193] You may also fight them to eliminate oppression, and to worship GOD freely. If they refrain, you shall not aggress; aggression is permitted only against the aggressors.<!--mstheme-->

In the name of madness, I'd say. How that action can be justified, religiously or otherwise, is a mystery to me.

[QUOTE=StokeBloke;329406]Sickening; truly sickening Let us not get confused here. This has nothing to do with true Muslims or Islam. Just as shooting someone through the kneecaps in Belfast has nothing to do with Christianity or Jesus.

I don't consider that this is correct. It's like saying that x-rays have nothing to do with radio waves just because they come from opposite ends of the spectrum.

We just got through in another thread explaining that everyone feels able to pick and choose which elements of their 'good book' they are going to consider divine and which in error.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Sickening; truly sickening Let us not get confused here. This has nothing to do with true Muslims or Islam. Just as shooting someone through the kneecaps in Belfast has nothing to do with Christianity or Jesus.
    I don't consider that this is correct. It's like saying that x-rays have nothing to do with radio waves just because they come from opposite ends of the spectrum.
    Yes, that is exactly what it is like Barry. Religion is just like an x-ray, I can see how gravely mistaken I was now. You are completely right and I was completely wrong. Thank goodness you were here to point that out for me Barry

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Yes, that is exactly what it is like Barry. Religion is just like an x-ray, I can see how gravely mistaken I was now. You are completely right and I was completely wrong. Thank goodness you were here to point that out for me Barry
    O, how it smarts when sarcasm is deployed against me

I'd be fascinated to see you develop your theory (for I must deny that it were my creation) that religion is like an X-ray.

Personally, I liked my analogy, I thought it was reasonably elegant. Fundamentalism is at one end of a spectrum that includes moderate believers (but not atheists, like m'self) in the same way that radio and X-rays are in the same electromagnetic spectrum (but sound waves are not).

If I could be bothered (I honestly don't mean to sound superior) I'd try to find the sections in the Koran that not only permit but demand the slaughter of unbelievers. For centuries, Islam was far more hospitable to Christians than Christianity was to Moslems (or Jews). Currently, it would seem, more influence is wielded by those who seek death and destruction.

To support Barry, my ex did a degree in history which involved studying the Saladin (the guy who united an awful lot of Arabs against the crusaders and, I think, was responsible for re-taking Jerusalem), and I remember her saying something about the militant side to Islam.

Basically, Mohammed taught that fighting is acceptable. I can't remember the context or the reasons, however.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Currently, it would seem, more influence is wielded by those who seek death and destruction.
    A point I made in another thread.

Anyway -I thought Barry's point was well made -the argument that people who do this sort of thing are not "true believers" doesn't hold any water. "Not a true believer" is generally leveled at anyone who does not agree with the writer. Im sure the people in question feel they are carrying out their gods work and are more worthy of "true believer" than other muslims who disagree with them. They are still muslims, but being muslim does not stop you from being a disgusting human being. After all, Adolf Hitler was a Christian and it didn't stop him either.

On the face of it, religions are actually quite nice, often give a good moral grounding and are responsible in history for the building of decent societies - sometimes forceably but hey, nobody's perfect I'm sure if religion wasn't someones basis for cold blooded murdering , they would find something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I'm sure if religion wasn't someones basis for cold blooded murdering , they would find something else.
    Hmmm. {Gloomy smiley}

Even when I did believe (many years ago, O my beloved) I always had a problem with the idea of the padre blessing the troops before they went into battle, and praying for God's help. First, presumably (at least most of the time) the padre on the other side was saying exactly the same thing. Secondly, shouldn't the padre really be sayin "Look, chaps, here's the thing: ten commandments, you know. Beastly Jerries, absolutely! but look: Beatitudes, you see? Can't kill them, just not right. Doubt Jerry wants to be here either. Go home, phone Hitler, get it sorted out."

Thread Information