Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Utopia reviews

Re: Utopia first night reviews (12/01/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Gentabout View Post
    My only regret is not asking more people to dance, in particular Val, just could not pluck up the courage.

Gent

I have only just found out who you are

Now I know, there will be no escape

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I have only just found out who you are

Now I know, there will be no escape

Emm, Emmm, ok.

How did you work out who i was then.

Gent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentabout View Post
    Emm, Emmm, ok.

How did you work out who i was then.

Gent.
    there is a photo of you on one of the web sites and you were pionted out, now theres no escaping

I don't bite (not much)

bugger, forgot about www.uglyfatblokes.com. Must cancel my membership there with a few hundred thousand pound spent on surgery.

Gent.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

My take on Evesham. Music was great, as expected, but IMO a lot more upbeat than Twickenham. I understand why this was though, as the majority of dancers seemed to look like they were unaccustomed to dancing to the slower stuff. I guess as the locals become more experienced the music will slow down. The floor was extremely fast. The lighting too low, for someone like me who's eyesight isn't the best. But apparently there was a problem with some of the lights so i guess that was a one off. All in all i had an OK night but i preferred the atmosphere and setting at the Twickenham venue. I think the experience of dancer was a lot higher too at Twickenham and i'm afraid that is important to me. (I'm obviously a complete Hotshot!) I did have some lovely dances though, special thanks to Jamie.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    The lighting too low, for someone like me who's eyesight isn't the best.
    Eat more carrots before you go next time?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Eat more carrots before you go next time?
    Well, I can't see anyway, so I use my other senses!

Simon and I had a really good time last night - many thanks to the Organisers for some lovely touches, including the complimentry drinks! Also to Val, who showed Simon a very interesting move...

As we didn't go to Twickenham, I can't compare venues, but I enjoyed the music and the atmosphere! Hardly missed a dance and found the locals very friendly. I understand that Marc Foster it to join Ian on the decks for the next event and we certainly hope to be there.

Also, great to meet some of the forumites who I hadn't previously met, Witty Bird, Martin Harper and Blue Shoes to name a few..........

Elaine

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
    Well, I can't see anyway, so I use my other senses!
    The mind boggles. Or is that just me??

Had a good night at Evesham and it was worth the 4 1/2 hour drive there and back. The music was superb. One thing I found slightly puzzling was the number of people there who clearly hadn't grasped the concept, and who wouldn't dance close or even make eye contact. What else is a blues evening for?

Had some lovely dances though and thanks to all who danced with me. And congratulations Debbie, this should go from strength to strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueshoes View Post
    One thing I found slightly puzzling was the number of people there who clearly hadn't grasped the concept, and who wouldn't dance close or even make eye contact. What else is a blues evening for?
    I won't defend a lack of eye contact, but I think the evening was for all those "who love Blues, Soft Latin, R&B and other slower more chilled out genres of music with challenging rhythmic breaks and interludes". Grinding is optional.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Utopia reviews

I've changed the title of the thread, as it's a more general topic under discussion now.

Re: Utopia reviews

I would like to thank Debbie for a great event. lets have some more!!!

Great (dancing) music, nice place, good floor.
    And most important lots wonderful lady dancers.
    Thankyou ladies for all the dances.

One thing I found slightly puzzling was the number of people there who clearly hadn't grasped the concept, and who wouldn't dance close or even make eye contact. What else is a blues evening for?
    It's up to forumites to educate the great Cerocing unwashed what Blues dancing is!

I think the only locals there who've ever been to a weekender are the local crew (teachers/demos/taxis), MartinHarper, me and two others.

They will only come to love blues if you show them how it's done . So you'd better come back next time .

I had a brilliant evening and it was well worth the four and a half hour drive there and back. Thank you Blueshoes for driving. Congratulations Debbie, and thank you for making us feel so welcome.

I have to say that we have a similar event up North at Knutsford, the concept of Revolution dance is the same as Utopia, so I am lucky to have it close by.

Thank you to all the lovely men who danced with me. It was great to see and dance with Mr Cool whose just got so much attitude. It was good to see the formurites I know and it was nice to meet some new ones, MartinHarper.

[snip] One thing I found slightly puzzling was the number of people there who clearly hadn't grasped the concept, and who wouldn't dance close or even make eye contact. What else is a blues evening for?
    [snip]
    As a noobie (2 years of MJ), switching to blues isn't straight forward. Yes I understand the concept, it's not just the same moves done slow (obviously). How do I know? 'Cos a while ago a lady in the blues room in Daventry stopped me mid dance and said, "this is the kinda thing you should be doing". The penny dropped.

If the person you are dancing with hasn't got it yet, take the time to guide them. Otherwise you'll continue to have a room with people not doing blues, or a room full of all the people that already know blues but then there'll be no new faces as the learners will not progress and won't stay with it.

As for dancing close and eye contact. In a primeval sense, they are very scary things to do. Invading someone's personal space, let alone grinding on them! and then looking into their eyes. Surely it's asking for a fight.
    That's what years of conditioning and evolution have done for us. It's a big fear to get over for a lot of people.
    When they do, ... they like it though.

or even make eye contact. What else is a blues evening for?
    I don't understand this? I had someone say to me on Friday 'what piercing blue eyes you have' I took it as a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by boardrider View Post
    It's a big fear to get over for a lot of people.
    Yes it is. But also sink or swim. Fears are just your own insecurities, don't let them rule your life. That's why it's called experience.

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post

Yes it is. But also sink or swim. Fears are just your own insecurities, don't let them rule your life. That's why it's called experience.
    The new-style, mellow WB rides again! Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    [snip]

Most profound. I'm lucky, I already knew that.
    But how do you surmount those fears without guidance and reassurance? That was the crux of my argument.

And experience has nothing to do with surmounting fear of the unknown. It has everything to do with recognising a similar situation and letting previous experiences influence your actions.
    Experience cannot help you in an unknown situation and blues is a step into the unknown.

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Utopia first night reviews (19/01/07)

Quote Originally Posted by boardrider View Post
    If the person you are dancing with hasn't got it yet, take the time to guide them. Otherwise you'll continue to have a room with people not doing blues, or a room full of all the people that already know blues but then there'll be no new faces as the learners will not progress and won't stay with it.
    As one who isn't great at the Blues, I didn't find Utopia (Evesham) a great learning environment.

While it wasn't overcrowded, it was still pretty busy, so I found I had to spend a lot of time looking round to work out where nearby dancers were, so I could attempt to avoid them. Which isn't helpful for eye-contact. Also, a crowded dancefloor means you haven't got much space to experiment (which is what you need if you're trying to change the way you dance).
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
    ....Also to Val, who showed Simon a very interesting move...

Elaine
    Do you mean the "five pennies......whatever its called " move? I was very impressed with that demo - but I think Simons added interpretation was 2nd to none!

I had a great night! It was more up beat than Twickenham, but all 3 DJ's read the floor well and played to the crowd , whilst encouraging people to step outside the box and dip their toes into that pool of blues water!

A big thank you to Debbie , who did a fabulous job and did everything she could to ensure everyone went home happy - including playing over time! ) and thrusting a nicely chilled glass of something bubbly into my hand the moment I walked through the door!

It was great to dance with some unknown people and put faces to names - special thanks to Mr cool & Simon and also to Jamie for a great west coast dance!

All in all... definately worth the drive!

Thread Information