Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Utopia reviews

Commercial Operator

Re: Utopia first night reviews (12/01/07)

Quote Originally Posted by boardrider View Post
    Most profound. I'm lucky, I already knew that.
    But how do you surmount those fears without guidance and reassurance? That was the crux of my argument.

And experience has nothing to do with surmounting fear of the unknown. It has everything to do with recognising a similar situation and letting previous experiences influence your actions.
    Experience cannot help you in an unknown situation and blues is a step into the unknown.
    Surely - if you constantly embrace unknown situations, you will lose your fear of them, and learn how to embrace and deal with them, by providing your own reassurance.

You can gain experience in dealing with the unknown simply by embracing new situations when they come up - and since life will always be throwing unknown situations at you, it's a good skill to learn.

Remember - fear leads to the dark side, jerky arm leads, yanking, and high speed quadruple travelling spinning pretzels.

Re: Utopia reviews

A big thank you from the organizers to everyone supporting the new Evesham UTOPIA event. As always Debbie gave her all and she just has to be one of the most natural and self effacing lady teacher/dancers around - what a cutey pie!

There were problems with the lights at the venue which put quite a restriction on what could be achieved with the lights we brought in. Also, there were restrictions on what could be achieved with the sound - I won't bore you with the details but improvements will be made for forthcoming events.

As Cruella pointed out, the music was slightly more upbeat in recognition of the fact that it looked like a fair number of people were still trying to find their feet. But then this is what UTOPIA is all about; making blues nights like this more accessible, running classes to encourage people and bringing dancers together so that people can learn by experience and by observation.

Like all things worthwhile, it does take time to fully embrace the 'blues'. It is more intimate and more expressive but all it really needs is practice and inspiration. The latter comes from the music and the connection with your partner, and if the opening night is anything to go by there were some really great dancers in attendance and Oxo's played a fantastic set.

Hopefully it will go from strength to strength!

Just a quick note to say that UTOPIA @ Twickenham for the 9th of Feb is now sold out. As before, please advise anyone you know who maybe thinking of turning up on spec that we unfortunately cannot let people in on the door.

Should be a great night, we have some fantastic dancers booked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Just a quick note to say that UTOPIA @ Twickenham for the 9th of Feb is now sold out. As before, please advise anyone you know who maybe thinking of turning up on spec that we unfortunately cannot let people in on the door.

Should be a great night, we have some fantastic dancers booked in.
    I assume that Evesham Utopia nights will still be open to people who turn up on the night?

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi_Bear View Post
    I assume that Evesham Utopia nights will still be open to people who turn up on the night?
    There we're 200 at Evesham on the opening night and half of those had booked in advance. The advice to most people was to either book, or get there early as it was a complete unknown as to what numbers were expected.

Until things change you can still just turn up but it's probably worth checking with Debs on the day - she can then put your name on the door.

Thanks, I intend to make it across to Evesham sometime in the next few weeks, it's just a question of the distance.

I got totally lost on the way to Utopia and found myself arriving at 10pm.
    Debs was kind enought to let me in an get me a drink. I had not one bad dance all night and dancing with many forumites who were amazing!!!

The music was pulsing, the atmoshphere alive and there was plenty of very friendly people there
    An absolute must event for my calender!

There were 200 at Evesham
    What is your feeling regarding that number? Would you be happy with more people, or is 200 about your aim?

Utopia for me was a really scary concept. I try to avoid the blues rooms, generally because i find it hard to dance to the music. As a female lead - i have often felt awkward when asking women to do dance a blues track, i guess its not really that i feel uncomrfotable - but more becasue i don't want to make the women uncomfortable. I guess to a certain extent its the same for the male leads that haven't done much blues, getting their head round the hole "up close and personal thing".

I've been wanting to improve my blues now for a while, and thought - well i'll check out this Utopia thing and see what happens. Well - i got there and saw the end of the class, and hmmm... not too sure about this.

But then the music seemed to pick up a little, and was (fortunatly for me) not quite as 'bluesie' as i had expected. I felt much better, and found i was pushed outside my comfort zone a little, enough to help me learn, but not too much to be swamped. So for me, it was fantastic

With regard to the rest of it, well - the floor was brilliant, the atmosphere was superb, everyone was so friendly (not one refusal!!!), and i was even asked to dance by women i didn't know - brilliant, i think that probably made my night.

I mangaed to pluck up the courage to ask both Val and Debbie for a dance, took about an hour to do so though!!!

Huge thanks to Fletch for getting me to go to Evesham, i'm so glad i did.

Role on the next one - can't wait.

Utopia Eveshem

I arrived early, no surprises there, but really glad I did, it gave me a chance to have a chat and a few dances with POP's and OXO'S.

The room is lovely and it was set out just as I like it seats around the edge with the odd table doted in-between, I can't stand it when there are rows of tables, you can't get through and when you do your hemmed in.

The music was truly wonderful, I never though I would be dancing to one of my all time favourites Dion Warwick, OXO'S you are now officially my hero the track work well that has to be you signature tune from now on, it was made all that more fabulous as I got to dance with Blueshoes to it, not sure how impressed he was with me signing down his ear.

I was disappointed with the choice of fast tracks, it seem a variation of what we were already getting just speeded up, this was the Midlands not London, and easing in genteelly I believe was the idea, so I think more like a couple of Ceroc classics or even something that could be bounced about to would have gone down better, I would dream of mentioning we could have a Disco Classic or a Mowtown.

I never stopped dancing all night, it was the first time I had experienced what seemed like more men than women.

I can't say I didn't have a bad dance all night because I did, about 3, my back was jolted on one occasion, and ended up in a bit of a tussle on two occasions, with guy's who were insisting that it was a male lead dance and I was going to follow at there speed no matter what, (I don't think so boys) but, as the night had been advertised specifically as 'blues' I didn't have any problems telling the guy's the idea behind it, they probably thought I was a 'cheeky moo' but hayho!

I would like to thank Rocky & Foxy for obliging me up the back

I got to dance with 'hunk of the month' don't know why we haven't danced before? David, yes DAVID, not sure why he was trying to pass himself off as BARMPOT, I would stick to David if I was you, or you'll never get a dance.

I was chatting to some people that were there, yesterday, at the 't' and I asked for there toughs and feed back, they said they did feel intimidated by some of the dance abilities there, but IMO I hope the level doesn't drop, they need people to aspire to, it might seem a bit harsh guys but 'GET OVER IT'

Lovely to meet ElaineB, you dress was lovely, it would look better in my wardrobe and thanks to Simon her partner for the dance.

Marc, Rachel and OXO'S are there next month is already on the calendar as a must.

Well done Debbie and every one organising, job well done

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

I would like to thank Rocky & Foxy for obliging me up the back

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    What is your feeling regarding that number? Would you be happy with more people, or is 200 about your aim?
    Looking at the room, I would have said that 200 was about right. I personally danced all around the room: front, back and middle and found enough space in all areas. Having said that it was on the verge of starting to get too busy so I think Debs may look at capping the numbers for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady View Post
    And very accomadating she was too....

And very accomadating she was too....

Utopia Eveshem

I got to dance with 'hunk of the month' don't know why we haven't danced before? David, yes DAVID, not sure why he was trying to pass himself off as BARMPOT, I would stick to David if I was you, or you'll never get a dance.

I am who i am.

I am Barnpot. Too many Davids.

Barnpot

Quote Originally Posted by barnpot View Post
    I am who i am.

I am Barnpot. Too many Davids.

Barnpot
    yehhhharrr

Look at that

Is a Barnpot and a BARMPOT the same thing if they are it doesn't suit you, I could think of a few names to describe you but Barnpot or BARMPOT isn't one of them

Looks like I have managed to get you to post for the first time since you joined in 2003, welcome

yehhhharrr

Looks like I have managed to get you to post for the first time since you joined in 2003, welcome

I may post again in 2011!!!

barnpot

Quote Originally Posted by Dai View Post
    Utopia for me was a really scary concept. I try to avoid the blues rooms, generally because i find it hard to dance to the music. As a female lead - i have often felt awkward when asking women to do dance a blues track, i guess its not really that i feel uncomrfotable - but more becasue i don't want to make the women uncomfortable. I guess to a certain extent its the same for the male leads that haven't done much blues, getting their head round the hole "up close and personal thing'
    I would like to say, even though it took you ages to ask me, your musicality is brilliant and some of your moves have been nicked by at least one of the male leads watching us dance!! I think your fears are more in your head than reality!! Just need to work on the hook lead...yes i did blush!!

Talking about reality, thanks for the new move Cruella 'Di's move' is a must in such a hot room however unexpected!!!!

Lots of lovely dances (Jamie, Dave ect), bruised feet from some poor floor crafting, long drive, Hot......PMT??? need a hug!!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pawplay View Post
    Talking about reality, thanks for the new move Cruella 'Di's move' is a must in such a hot room however unexpected!!!!
    I've a feeling it makes the recipient even hotter than it made me! Not one i want to do too often!

Thread Information