Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talcum powder

Re: Talcum powder

There is only one venue I have visited so far where I needed the old white powder and that was the ice rink in Dundee - the stickiest floor (the irony of it!).

Without it a single turn was impossible in my trainers without hurting my knees.

Let's see how the Friary turns out tonight ..........

And in ballet they have resin trays - to stop them slipping! Mad eh?!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Would it be that difficult to install a "talc tray" like they have in ballet (excuse me if I get the terminology wrong) for people to rub their shoes in if that's what was required at each venue?
    I have a vague recollection of a ballet teacher using rosin on my soles to slow me down on a fast floor, I've never had one use talc (at least not on my feet ) I think some ballroom dancers use French chalk: it probably smells nicer than Baby Powder - being French it probably smells slightly of garlic (which might put off the vampires).

My own preference is to have shoes of different speeds and wear the right shoes for the floor. I use my, freshly wire-brushed, suede soled shoes on fast floors and my plain leather soled shoes on slow floors. I use my dance trainers on combination floors - you know, the kind of floors that are oily around the nose and chin but dry on the cheeks

This shoe strategy for different speed floors means that you need at least 3 pairs of shoes to go with each outfit - RESULT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    My own preference is to have shoes of different speeds and wear the right shoes for the floor. I use my, freshly wire-brushed, suede soled shoes on fast floors and my plain leather soled shoes on slow floors.
    Ya, this is the problem with me liking it fast: I wear my leather soled shoes on fast floors, and I grumble a lot on slow floors.

At both daventry (saxon suite) and northampton (st georges and crips) the floor was known to be very bad on a regular basis - i have used talc here, but as cruella and fletch have said - put some on the floor out of the way, and keep popping back to get some more on my the soles of my shoes as necessary.

After having seen the teachers/demos/and other people whom i have respect for at these venues doing this - i figured it must be acceptable - so i did the same. But not now the floor has been sorted!!

The blues room floor at Hammersmith was dangerously slow - really really sticky. So the arrival of the talc saved the evening and my knees - very very grateful!! Before the talc I couldn't even manage a smooth turn in my well used, very slippy suede jazz shoes!

However, messing with the floor can be quite dangerous. At Beach Boogie someone sprinkled wax balls (apparently meant for dance floors) which were tiny little things. The end result … me on floor looking very surprised!! Wasn't particularly chuffed at this as you couldn't see the blighters - at least you can see talc if someone sprinkles it around you!!

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    I remember that, {snip} trousers {snip} needed a good rub down afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Freudian Hips View Post
    And in ballet they have resin trays - to stop them slipping! Mad eh?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I have a vague recollection of a ballet teacher using rosin on my soles to slow me down on a fast floor, I've never had one use talc (at least not on my feet )
    Ah and there was me thinking it was talc. I was just thinking of the scene in the movie version of Phantom of the operator where all the dancers dip their toes in something that looked like talc.

and I've seen similar things used in other TV programs and films.. I assumed it was talc but I've learnt something new today .. Groovy

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have an alternative tip for coping with very sticky floors, which really really does work and doesn't affect anyone else (but don't blame me if you break your neck) rub some 'instant shoes shine' on the soles of your 'leather' shoes (I doubt it'd work on suede?)

I'd say it should only be used in extreme cases though, like when your shoes have built up that black sticky residue.

The effect isn't permanent, so if you find it too slippy at first, don't worry, it does wear off!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I have an alternative tip for coping with very sticky floors, which really really does work and doesn't affect anyone else (but don't blame me if you break your neck) rub some 'instant shoes shine' on the soles of your 'leather' shoes (I doubt it'd work on suede?)
    I tried that once on a synthetic sole – found it worked well, but it did affect other people – the spot where I had done the class was extra slippy!

Decided not to do that again...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    an alternative tip for coping with very sticky floors
    Something similar to this is silicone spray. It's the stuff you can buy to put on sticky curtain tracks and sticky drawers. Most hardware shops sell it. You just spray it onto the soles of your leather shoes and buff with a duster. Works a treat

The main problems we have had at venues before with using Talc is because they don't like cleaning it up...I just point out to them "would you rather deal with complaining cleaners or a personal injury claim from one of the customers because they cant spin/turn properly and have ended up damaging their knees..." the response is often nothing...but I would like to see what they said if anyone ever did decide to make a claim...

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    silicone spray.
    do you think I should be using this instead of deodorant

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    do you think I should be using this instead of deodorant

Blimey luv...if they get any bigger, you won't be able to keep your balance when dancing...or thinking about it...at least you would bounce straight back up again...

Just had inspiration for a new move...wanna try it out on saturday??

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CentrAlex View Post
    The main problems we have had at venues before with using Talc is because they don't like cleaning it up...I just point out to them "would you rather deal with complaining cleaners or a personal injury claim from one of the customers because they cant spin/turn properly and have ended up damaging their knees..." the response is often nothing...but I would like to see what they said if anyone ever did decide to make a claim...
    Good point. Although I guess it'd be difficult to prove immediate damage from even a very sticky floor, especially because the stickiness may be temporary (e.g. caused by heat) so it'd be difficult to measure. How do you measure stickiness anyway? Friction? I dunno...

Of course, the "real" answer would be to ensure there is a decent dance floor, so we don't have to guess how sticky / slippy it'll be, take along 15 types of shoe, or put strange substances on the shoe / floor.

In the real world, however, beggars can't be choosers, especially in areas where there's a lot of competition for hall space. I miss the Notre Dame hall - now that was a real dance hall :nostalgia:

I wonder where the best floor is, in the London area? I can't think of anywhere that's impressed me much recently...

Blimey luv...if they get any bigger, you won't be able to keep your balance when dancing...or thinking about it...at least you would bounce straight back up again...

Well she's from the Midlands, you could name the move...........
    .................DRUM ROLL............

The bouncy Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post

The bouncy Fletch
    Ooo Ooo - teach me how to do a bouncy Fletch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dai View Post
    No Comment

The bouncy Fletch
    No Comment

thats why I carn't spin properly

its a deffo for Saturday. I think we need to do it early the top i'm wearing later they will be out im sure

The bouncy Fletch

and I thought you were the expert on that move

ho no! that was the 'shake n vac'

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    thats why I carn't spin properly

its a deffo for Saturday. I think we need to do it early the top i'm wearing later they will be out im sure

and I thought you were the expert on that move

ho no! that was the 'shake n vac'

Yep, can do the shack'n'vac but would like to get to grips with new moves too.

So you going to help me learn??

Thread Information