Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talcum powder

Talcum powder

There was an incident last night which caused a bit of a furore when talcum powder was discovered on the dance floor at Luton.

(You can read about the incident in the mildy entertaining blog at http://ceroc.blogspot.com/).

I know that Northern Soul fans will often take talcum powder with them on a weekender - I just wondered how prevalent it was in the Ceroc world?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Talcum powder

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    There was an incident last night which caused a bit of a furore when talcum powder was discovered on the dance floor at Luton.
    I suspect there's been a bit of a crackdown - I know that it was Frowned On at Chiswick on 30th Dec, even though the floor in the Blues Room was diabolically and dangerously bad .

Personally, if a floor is that slow, and it's a choice between damaging my knees with spins and damaging the floor (yeah, right) with talc, then my health comes first, nuts to everything else.

Fortunately, they're not quite so Health-&-Safety-Nutty at AT - e.g. the Dome at Tufnell Park, with possibly the worst floor in the known universe, has no problems with liberal talc application.

Huh, I remember the days when Linda would run through the dance floor places like HMS President with the talc, sprinkling it like a Good Fairy

Yeah...I see that a lot at Cheshunt. I dont know why its done...either it improves your spinning or stops you slipping or something. Can't tell the difference myself.

I went to a Northern Soul do once. Absolutely hated it & thought the music was boring....all the girls had rubbish clothes on and weird flat shoes and everyone smelled like johnsons baby powder..........Taxi..!

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    all the girls had rubbish clothes on and weird flat shoes and everyone smelled like johnsons baby powder..........Taxi..!
    Maybe they didn't want to break their necks on the slippy floor by wearing heels . . . . . and they wore their old clothes so that their best stuff didn't get covered in talcum powder!

Yeah...I see that a lot at Cheshunt. I dont know why its done...either it improves your spinning or stops you slipping or something. Can't tell the difference myself.

I went to a Northern Soul do once. Absolutely hated it & thought the music was boring....all the girls had rubbish clothes on and weird flat shoes and everyone smelled like johnsons baby powder..........Taxi..!
    you should cum and try the dance floor at Stafford that one dose not need talk more like an ice ring !!

Have experienced talc been shaken on the dance floor some years ago at a Yorkshire venue and it made dancing on the floor a very dangerous experience. The sections of floor with talc were like dancing, no, skating on ice whilst the part of the floor not covered were like stomping through treacle! So it definitely brought meaning to slow, slow quick, quick, slow with an added ouch!

Certainly it takes a bit of practice dancing on a slippery floor, but I prefer it to be more like an ice rink than not. I guess that having a teacher fall over and break an arm might have something to do with the panic caused by the discovery of white powder, but I think that's a poor excuse...

Blog Entries

I hadn't realised there were such mixed feelings about it.
    I thought it was as simple as, if the floor's a bit slow you use talc so you can spin without hurting your joints.
    Before xmas, the floor at Beccles was so well polished you could barely walk on it. Not so bad except it's about as level as a ploughed field so spinning was out of the question! They seem to have managed to clean it patchily back to it's sticky ploughed field state now though!

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Huh, I remember the days when Linda would run through the dance floor places like HMS President with the talc, sprinkling it like a Good Fairy
    And I remember the days when Mike would walk around Casbah with a block of wax and a cheese grater!

when we went to Gouchester on the 30th there was a little walk way by the stage to outside, there was a bit of talk sprinkeled there and we kept nipping in and swiverling in it next thing was, when people new what was happening they were also nipping in and having a swivel it was just enough to cover the bottoms of our shoes

There was a bit of a 'to do' at Stockport Townhall one time where the management got a reet strop on with people apparently dusting with talc - until by all accounts it was discovered that the powdery residue was the varnish surface just wearing out.

You always know you've been to Stockport by the dust over ya shoes! but they don't go on about talc anymore.

that may just be hearsay though?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I confess to being a white powder user.

If the floor is really slow, I usually sprinkle some next to my chair and dip my feet in every now and then. I'm not risking damage to my knees for anyone!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

smelled like johnsons baby powder.
    Is it just me then? I love that smell!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    You always know you've been to Stockport by the dust over ya shoes! but they don't go on about talc anymore.

Its when you pick your bag up off the floor and put it on your lap to get something out, then discover you are covered in .....whatever

hearsay when were they performing there I missed 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I confess to being a white powder user.

and you were the last pearson I would have suspected

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    There was a bit of a 'to do' at Stockport Townhall one time where the management got a reet strop on with people apparently dusting with talc - until by all accounts it was discovered that the powdery residue was the varnish surface just wearing out.

I remember that, and yes they have seemed to drop any mention of talc on the floor there now. I would add that you don't just get dust on your shoes but on trousers, coats left over a chair, if fact anything that touched the floor usually needed a good rub down afterwards. And no you don't have to reply to that last bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    I remember that, and yes they have seemed to drop any mention of talc on the floor there now. I would add that you don't just get dust on your shoes but on trousers, coats left over a chair, if fact anything that touched the floor usually needed a good rub down afterwards. And no you don't have to reply to that last bit.

I'm allways hoping for a good rub down after Stockport, it hasn't happend yet, but I can always hope and no its not one of my hopes for 2007

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    when we went to Gouchester on the 30th there was a little walk way by the stage to outside, there was a bit of talk sprinkeled there
    That gave me visions of bits of chatter on the floor: an odd "hi" mixed with a bit of "have you seen his trousers" and "oooh look at her skirt - who does she think she is....." and ".....I don't like this music - too fast for me love"

To make it extra slippy, you could drop in a bit of "...bit cold today, nearly slipped on the ice" or "...actually I'm a National Account Manager for Vaseline"

Long time ago.. (before I was dancing.. and before there was this blame culture in the UK) I remember walking into a hall where previously a dance had been held. The floor was so slippy with talc I actually ended up slipping and spraining my ankle. (Wasn't so bad.. got a day off school.. I did say it was a while ago)

I can see why it would be a benefit for a sticky floor but I think it's really selfish to sprinkle down talc to make areas of the floor so fast. Like Cruella and Fletch said above I always thought the idea was you put the talc on the soles of your shoes and not the floor?

Would it be that difficult to install a "talc tray" like they have in ballet (excuse me if I get the terminology wrong) for people to rub their shoes in if that's what was required at each venue? Or is talc anywhere .. even on the soles of one's own shoes.. a "bad thing<sup>TM</sup>"?
    Last edited by Beowulf; 10th-January-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    That gave me visions of bits of chatter on the floor: an odd "hi" mixed with a bit of "have you seen his trousers" and "oooh look at her skirt - who does she think she is....." and ".....I don't like this music - too fast for me love"

To make it extra slippy, you could drop in a bit of "...bit cold today, nearly slipped on the ice" or "...actually I'm a National Account Manager for Vaseline"

typo

Donna

Talcum powder shouldn't be used at any venue. Those who find they are sticking to the floor should rub castor oil on their soles - usually does the trick, and it doesn't make the floor slippy for others.

Thread Information