Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Apple Announces the iPhone (and it does look fabulous)!

Commercial Operator

Re: Apple Announces the iPhone (and it does look fabulous)!

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    You have ob have more time on your hands than I do.
    True. I don't post as much as you, for a start

Only glanced over the link as busy today. about copy protection? They said the XP one would kill off the PC.
    It's not about copy protection – it's about DRM, and how unless you have the exact right hardware Vista will corrupt images and sound for you.

And lots of other things like that...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Just realised the link to the actual article isn't so obvious...

Here's a direct link...

A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection
    Last edited by ducasi; 17th-January-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Just realised the link to the actual article isn't so obvious...

Here's a direct link...

A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection
    That took up the last 20 minutes of my work day. I didn't finish it. I've just spent some time getting through the rest. We bought a couple of Vista licences at work to preview it (media not arrived yet).

I'll be looking to ensure that premium content gets trialled in the tests.

The one that would bite us, would be when the server version arrives. We have a lot of Citrix users. We have a manufacturing plant. The QA lab apps run on Citrix. One user starts to watch/listen to premium content and the Citrix server dive bombs the output quality for the QA lab. We reject 100,000 cans of dog food? We let through a faulty batch and end up with a court case?

Here's a phone that looks a bit like the iphone for the impatient. I like how they have a model (I guess) showing the phone since she is clearly more comfortable with modelling clothes than showing off a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    It's not about copy protection – it's about DRM, and how unless you have the exact right hardware Vista will corrupt images and sound for you.

And lots of other things like that...
    Sounds like it is worth skipping Vista for. I mean already everything they touted that sounded useful initially (SQL based file system for example) was dumped. Aero/Aero Glass looks pretty but beyond doing alpha blending (and look at the system requirements to do that!) it doesn't actually seem to make the system more usable (I've heard people say the same about OSX but the Application spread-pick-restore method of picking an application is wonderful).

I mean it took them until XP to actually realise that mile high/mile wide selection is something worth having (if you've got a 2k, or earlier, box take your mouse to the lower left corner, if that is were your start menu is and click it... it won't select because the start menu is placed a few pixels to the left and a few pixels up from the base of the display). Well done MS, your GUI rocks!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Here's a phone that looks a bit like the iphone for the impatient. I like how they have a model (I guess) showing the phone since she is clearly more comfortable with modelling clothes than showing off a phone.
    Interesting. I wonder which one will come to the UK market first?

My money's on the LG, I wonder if it'll put a dent in that potential market?

Touchscreen phones look like the way to go though...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    My money's on the LG, I wonder if it'll put a dent in that potential market?
    Apparently the end of Feb in the UK so way before the iPhone over here.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Touchscreen phones look like the way to go though...
    I think they are. I think we'll see more touchscreen tech in the home as a whole. I mean dragging things around (say photos) is something people can intuitively do. Maybe we'll all have our HP coffee table by next year.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Hey all

I am posting from the Apple store in NY and am standing playing with the new IPHONE!!!!!

I WANT ONE!!!

I saw the IPhone as modelled by Keanu Reeves in "Johnny Mnemonic" , looks a bit clumsy.. you'd be walking into things all the time with those goggles over your eyes, and the data gloves would make your hands sweat terribly.

And don't get me started on Power consumption and batter ... wassat? .. IPhone? Not EYE phones??.. Oh I see..

I wonder if William Gibson is getting a cut from Apple for use of the name?

Just came across this video about the iphone.

Be warned it may upset some apple fans! and probably make woodface smile

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Just came across this video about the iphone.

Be warned it may upset some apple fans! and probably make woodface smile
    At work so cant watch it at the mo. Is it the iphone in a blender one or the one to see how fragile the iphone is (smashed in to bit being dropped from waist height) or the one where they managed to puncture a hole in the screen using just their fingers?

It's great to see apple have ported across the stability and durability of the ipod to the iphone.

Commercial Operator

At work so cant watch it at the mo. Is it the iphone in a blender one or the one to see how fragile the iphone is (smashed in to bit being dropped from waist height) or the one where they managed to puncture a hole in the screen using just their fingers?
    It's the blender one. Very impressive blender - wouldn't mind one of those (I think that test would break ours)

It's great to see apple have ported across the stability and durability of the ipod to the iphone.
    I don't know how durable the iPod is, and have no intention of testing mine on that score, but by all accounts, the iPhone is a very tough little beast, on the stability side a huge - it seems to be a great product

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    It's the blender one. Very impressive blender - wouldn't mind one of those (I think that test would break ours)

I don't know how durable the iPod is, and have no intention of testing mine on that score, but by all accounts, the iPhone is a very tough little beast, on the stability side a huge - it seems to be a great product
    What, even if it smashes to bits from being dropped waist height or you can poke your fingers through the screen?

Whats wrong with Iphone. A list from the web. :----

1) The Barry Allen disappearance; there’s no Flash, or [COLOR=#00ccff! important][COLOR=#00ccff! important]Java[/COLOR][/COLOR] for that matter; making watching web videos more a miss than hit on iPhones.

2) Pixel envy – you’ll have it with your iPhone camera. The 2 megapixel camera is a little bland with 5 megapixel camera phones now available and the other kind of flash and zoom is also missing. There’s also no secondary camera for self portraits, so you can’t get narcissistic with your bad self.

3) You can ring my bell; but only 25 different ways. You can’t import more or use your MP3s as ringtones, meaning you’re at the mercy of Steve Jobs’ personal taste AND he still hasn’t secured the rights to Beatles songs. Be afraid, be very afraid.

4) He got game and it be chess. That’s the most graphics heavy game included with the iPhone; what was Pong too complicated?

5) There’s no third party applications allowed on the iPhone; with Steve Jobs suggesting that developers use the Safari web browser and AJAX to simulate them on the [COLOR=#00ccff! important][COLOR=#00ccff! important]internet[/COLOR][/COLOR]. Yes, he actually claimed that was just as good as allowing third party applications with a straight face.

6) I’m not saying AT&T’s ancient EDGE [COLOR=#00ccff! important][COLOR=#00ccff! important]network[/COLOR][/COLOR] is too slow for internet browsing, but there are unsubstantiated reports that the dinosaurs when extinct waiting for a page to load on it.

7) Something like one in ten of the initial iPhones bought was defective. While that number will obviously go down after the initial launch; that really sucks for the people who were waiting in line nine hours.

8) Gizmodo is reporting how many AT&T stores were trying to make you buy at least two or three accessories before they’d through in the iPhone; as AT&T representatives could get written up if they didn’t sell between $60-$65 of accessories per person. In contrast, Steve Jobs last Thursday just promised all Apple employees a free, no strings attached iPhone.

9) A lot of people have had trouble activating their iPhone on the AT&T Cingular network, which is done through [COLOR=#00ccff! important][COLOR=#00ccff! important]iTunes[/COLOR][/COLOR]. Apparently in the six month leading up to the launch it never occurred to AT&T that a bunch of people were going to be logging on at once and it might overload their system. In case you haven’t picked up on it yet, AT&T are idiots.

10) There’s no [COLOR=#00ccff! important][COLOR=#00ccff! important]wireless[/COLOR][/COLOR] synching with your Mac, no video recording or video output, or microSD memory card capabilities, though the iPhone does already come with 4-8GB of onboard memory.

Security flaws - While the iPhone is actual more secure than most cell phones; with the ability to download security patches through iTunes, Errata Security still found some critical chinks in the armor. There’s a “heap overflow” bug in the Safari browser that translates into a malicious website can hack into your system even if you just visit it for a second.
    Also at issue is a “data seepage” bug that makes info transfered over client applications through Wi-Fi potentially public and a Bluetooth “denial of service” bug.

Installing Windows isn’t going to happen - The iPhone doesn’t support the 64 bit versions of Windows XP or Vista; facts Apple neglected to point out in their system requirements.

Wireless jack wack - Even though the iPhone has a 3.5mm jack, it’s recessed in such a way that it actually doesn’t work with most 3.5mm headphones.

Not criminal friendly - The iPhone is a fingerprint magnet so it’s best to leave at home when robbing a bank (you wouldn’t be able to use it with gloves).

You will learn to love Steve Jobs’ taste - Other then the background that appears when dialing calls, the user interface themes on the OS are unchangeable.

That’s just weird - There’s no HOME or STOP buttons on the internet browser, and the period and comma buttons don’t appear on the main keyboard screen.

Commercial Operator

What, even if it smashes to bits from being dropped waist height or you can poke your fingers through the screen?
    I went looking for those, and failed to find them. I did find a vid of it suffering no damage from a waist-height fall onto concrete, and cracked glass from a chest-height fall. They then tried to scratch the glass with a key, and failed. Got any links?

Whats wrong with Iphone. A list from the web. :----
    You mean it doesn't make toast after all? Woe is me.

So to summarise, we have a great little phone, with a fantastic interface, but some shortcomings in terms of features, and some bugs to work out - which is, alas, generally the case with any first generation device (much as I deplore that fact)

I won't be getting one when it comes out in this country (although I'd love to) simply because at the moment, I really don't need one. Come the next generation though, that small fact might not stop me

Whats wrong with Iphone. A list from the web. [...]
    Where do you get this stuff from? Is there a Apple Haters' blog out there that you are subscribed to?

For an unbiased look at the iPhone, check this review – in particular their "Stress Test".

Here's their conclusion...
    Quote Originally Posted by ars technica
    We conclude that the iPhone is, for nearly all everyday uses, pretty darn durable and practically impossible to scratch. ...

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

If I can refind the vids I will post them up. No doubt they will be on youtube somewhere.

I have nothing against the iphone itself. I have never used one or seen one in use. What I do have the thing against is the way Apples marketing works. Suckering in people to want and desire stuff that they have not seen or vied themselfs.

The way they marketed Ipod was to give them to celebs then arranged to get them snapped and put in paper jogging with their Ipods. Made them seem like all the celebs had one so, like Nikes, everyone wants one because they are the in thing.

People love their Ipod just like they will love their Iphones. Mainly because they are ignorant to the fact that there will and are better cheaper alternatives out there.

Still a fool and his money and all that. *shrug*

and Apple's advertising is different to every other form of advertising on the planet

I am with Ducasi in my suspicions that you subscribe to the Apple haters blog

Yes I own an ipod but when I was looking it was the best I could find and I really liked the click wheel interface compared to other control methods that were available. It's not perfect but nothing is. I bought a Macbook last year and I really like it compared to my previous PC laptops. I find OSX a lot less hassle to use and lower maintenence.

I'm not going to be lining up to get an iphone, as it doesn't look like it's for me at the moment. Lack of 3G would make browsing hideously slow and the bluetooth seems a bit crippled. In the end of the day I'll get what I think is best, it just so happens that they've been Apple products.

Thread Information