Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Apple Announces the iPhone (and it does look fabulous)!

An Eclectic Toaster

Re: Apple Announces the iPhone (and it does look fabulous)!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    ooh very nice. You'll never get me complaining about Apple not being able to design, because that they certainly can do Ill complain about other stuff though
    Ah come on, there's numerous design issues to complain about - what about those built-in unreplaceable iPod batteries? The Airports which always seem to break down after 18months?

And they're not the most environmentally friendly company either.

I own an iPod & Macbook btw, so I'm entitled to criticise

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Ah come on, there's numerous design issues to complain about - what about those built-in unreplaceable iPod batteries? The Airports which always seem to break down after 18months?

And they're not the most environmentally friendly company either.

I own an iPod & Macbook btw, so I'm entitled to criticise
    fair points -i really should have made it clear i made aesthetic design

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    fair points -i really should have made it clear i made aesthetic design
    This is why usability experts hate designers.

"Hey, it looks cool, who cares if it's usable or not?"

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Sleek but like Ducasi I won't be getting one of these. I have no need of email or web browsing on a phone, I have a Shuffle (2G) which I realised is more than enough for me, I don't see the point in watching videos on something like it, even if they were available in iTunes and there are phones with better cameras if I wanted one.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    This is why usability experts hate designers.

"Hey, it looks cool, who cares if it's usable or not?"
    I doubt you'd find a more usable phone – this is the first phone I've ever seen that I could imagine my Dad using.

Oh, and Apple computers have been rated more "green" than most other manufacturers. See here.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I doubt you'd find a more usable phone
    Blimey, any phone store in the country will have more usable phones than that.

However, this is the best contender for "Potential convergent device" I've ever seen - 3.5" screen combined with portable overall size makes it much more attractive than the Blackberry / XDA / etc.

And the fact that the numeric keypad is software-generated means that it's configurable - so could be replaced, for example, with an alphabetic keypad - or at least will be suitable for all countries and languages.

Add in satnav software and you've got a very attractive package

Having said all that. the "kepadless" phone is hardly a new concept - Nielsen was calling for it in 2000, for example.

But, like all convergent devices, it's only useful if you want all those functions - if you don't want to do anything other than make calls, it's massively over-functioned.

I definitely think that this'll be a great device to buy for Christmas 2008 - all the major bugs will be ironed out, the price will be lower, and the choice will be greater - hopefully it'll also be 3g-compliant etc. by then. But I wouldn't get it any earlier than that, I'll let all you geeky first-adopters test it for me .

Apparently the successor to this version of the iPhone (which is already in design) will also boil eggs and make tea for you.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    After watching Jobs' presentation, I disagree about the buttons - as he said, the applications don't need to make use of hardware-defined buttons - they just draw their own...
    True they don't need it but I'd need it to reliably select the buttons before looking.

Stylus... torn. I use a Palm-based PDA at the moment, which makes great use of a stylus, and I love it to the extent that I handwrite all my text messages on it, rather than punching 'em in on the phone. I think I'd have to play with one of these before I made up my mind - I can't tell how quick that keyboard would be compared to a stylus - probably not a lot in it.
    Quite possibly not a whole lot in it as to speed, but think the keyboard would need far more attention/looking than a stylus/hard keyboard.

..with the first two, you'd be mad to be using the thing anyway without cleaning / drying them.
    Definitely a point; however it does tend to reduce the utility of the iPhone compared to current devices.

With gloved hands, a stylus is very very hard to use (small and fiddly) - so I don't think that makes a whole lot of difference, to be honest.
    Fair enough - i can think of thicknesses of glove where it would be difficult to use and/or get out a stylus.

I doubt you'd find a more usable phone – this is the first phone I've ever seen that I could imagine my Dad using.
    - Well doing more than punching in numbers / calling pre-defined numbers in the address book.

Blimey, any phone store in the country will have more usable phones than that....
    Not quite sure where you're coming from there.

IMO A big screen and a single button to get back from the start point and large visual buttons make it easy to use and explain for less technical users.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Not quite sure where you're coming from there.

IMO A big screen and a single button to get back from the start point and large visual buttons make it easy to use and explain for less technical users.
    I was referring to the apparent trend for people to go for simple phones - see here and here and here for example - from the last article:
    The Simple Cell-Phone A101K from Kyocera Corporation is a voice-only handset that can be used with ease by older customers to make and receive calls, while the Simple Cell-Phone A5517T from Toshiba Corporation, which has a large screen and keys, enables e-mail and EZweb to be used with ease, as well as Safe Navi capability.
    The iPhone is a lot of things, many of them good. But it's not simple, and it's definitely not aimed at the older technophobic market.

I was referring to the apparent trend for people to go for simple phones - see here and here and here for example.
    I've seen these kinds of things, but I don't think I'd want to try to explain to my Dad how to send a text message with any of them – those that have that capability anyway!

I could see my Dad sending text messages on an iPhone.

The iPhone is a lot of things, many of them good. But it's not simple, and it's definitely not aimed at the older technophobic market.
    While the iPhone is clearly not aimed at the technophobe market, it does have a level of usability that would be great for my not-technophobic Dad.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

While the iPhone is clearly not aimed at the technophobe market, it does have a level of usability that would be great for my not-technophobic Dad.
    OK, why not show him a Simple Phone and an iPhone and ask him which he'd prefer?

I was referring to the apparent trend for people to go for simple phones - see here and here and here for example - from the last article:
    I know we disagree on this, but I am thrilled I made the switch from my bag full of devices to a single converged (voice, mobile email, synchronised calendar and contacts) device at least from the fact I don't have to carry four different charges around.

However, an issue will always the conflict between having a large enough screen to make even mobile-optimised pages readable against a small enough screen so the device is "pocketable" and matches the ear-to-mouth dimesions.

For me, currently, the XDA mini / MDA Vario 2 is the optimum device. Ok if I had a single, centralised, contacts and agenda database - rather than synchronising - I would be happier. However, that's simple-matter-of-programming plus adherance to that standard (I think you could achieve it building on SyncML) - but it won't happen. Battery life is not too brilliant on the Vario 2. WM5 is still clunky in comparison against Palm 4.2 (6 years old). Well WM5 is "Windows compatible" - what do you expect?

A mate of mine whose has been telecoms testing for years uses the oldest Nokia that works, rarely texts and has a Letts pocket diary and address book. He never gets power downs whereas sometimes I am frantically searching for somewhere to charge up my device.

C
    P.s. and because a device is complex it doesn't have to be difficult use.
    Unfortunately, the interface design on video recorders (remember those?), Windows XP or my H340 MP3 player are so appalling that most features go unused. Even the Gnome interface has some very strange grouping of functions, IMO
    The challenge has to be to design interfaces so that the novice user can access the basic functions quickly with no familiarity with the device. Personally, I am prepared to invest 5 minutes (Maybe less) in learning how to use a new device. I would expect to be able to "transfer" some of my existing knowledge to be able to use a new device. The "expert user" is not forced down a horrible menu path to perform the tasks she wants - or can customise the interface to her own needs. And that somehow, and this is a real skill to design, that the more complex functions of a device are accessible in an intuitive place or follow the "real world" path to the action. For example compare programming a video recorder with start and stop times versus looking at an online programming guide and "clicking" on the programme you want to record.
    Last edited by Clive Long; 12th-January-2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Rant inserted

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long View Post
    I know we disagree on this, but I am thrilled I made the switch from my bag full of devices to a single converged (voice, mobile email, synchronised calendar and contacts) device at least from the fact I don't have to carry four different charges around.
    Yeah, but you're one of those geeky first-adopters I was referring to earlier, most people aren't like you...

Having said that, something practical like a single charger is a concrete benefit. Although then you're putting all your eggs in one basket, of course...

Yeah, but you're one of those geeky first-adopters I was referring to earlier,
    Damn! I always prided myself on being on the trailing edge of technology and trying to squeeze the last bit of useful life out of clapped out devices.
    A tip, don't move your TV, HiFi, Washing machine etc. when you move. They will always fail when you power them up again - either as the result of a knock or some inexplicable reason.
    Oooh my poor, beloved, Yamaha HiFi
    most people aren't like you...
    And for that you and humanity can be grateful.
    My mother still loves me though.
    Having said that, something practical like a single charger is a concrete benefit. Although then you're putting all your eggs in one basket, of course...
    Easy. I just back up it up to my PC. Double damn - I need another device

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Apparently Iphone does the lot

http://38.101.8.66/dl/f0c7421f289831...hone_spoof.wmv

I wont be getting one. Once again apple decides that they invented something that has been around for ages then every gullible fool in the land wants one.

When will people learn?

Commercial Operator

Server seems to be broken. Either that, or I can't access it from here.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    I wont be getting one. Once again apple decides that they invented something that has been around for ages then every gullible fool in the land wants one.
    I'm quite intrigued by this statement - particularly as I am of the opinion (from everything I've seen and read of it) that the iPhone is an extremely innovative and well-designed device... and yet I don't want one.

When will people learn?
    Well - they're slowly learning that Apple make great products. It's taking time, but people are beginning to get the point, I think.

Blog Entries

I'm quite intrigued by this statement - particularly as I am of the opinion (from everything I've seen and read of it) that the iPhone is an extremely innovative and well-designed device... and yet I don't want one.
    - well put

It's potentially a groundbreaking convergent device, and it could crack open the whole market for these devices, making them attractive for the general public in the same way the iPod has for digital music.

And I may well get one. But not until next Christmas at earliest...

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Apple done nothing new with the ipod other than stick a horrible DRM on any song you got through itunes and some clever advertising.

OK they made everyone aware that MP3 players existed but the ipod was never the best mp3 player out there. Was never the most reasonably priced. Was never the most robust etc. Yes it had a little touch screen dial, but then it wasn't even the first to have that!!!

Same with the iphone. All hail the brand new phone that will change the way phones work. Has an inbuilt MP3 player, Wi-Fi, OS, and camera. All of this has been done before. I have an Orange SPV that I got in October does all of that. Oh but the iPhone has a touch screen. So does my SPV.

Anyone remember the argument over windows nicking Apples GUI for their OS? Yes? Anyone remember the argument over Apple nicking their GUI OS from Atari? No?

I would buy Nike trainers if I liked the look of a pair, the price was right for them, and they did what I expect them to do. I wouldn't buy them based on an advert where they claim to re-invent the trainer buy sticking a dial on them instead of a lace (esp when I know that this was done before by Puma).

I might end up getting one when they come out if I get the chance to look at it first hand and decide it is something I want or need but based on what I have read and seen on websites I doubt that will happen.

Yes the iPhone is going to do for phones what the iPod did for MP3's. Fool people into wanting one. (expect all the celebs flashing their iPhones that they got free from Apple soon).

I have nothing against Apple. What I don't like is advertising and hype that is over built, over the top and just misleading.

(oh BTW this was all written on my SPV, Waiting in anticipation for the first post to come from an iPhone)

Apple done nothing new with the ipod other than stick a horrible DRM on any song you got through itunes and some clever advertising.
    As opposed to the non-horrible DRM that exists ? Of course Windows Media Player DRMs your music by default now. Not even the stuff you buy online but the stuff you copy yourself.

Anyway the interface with on the iPod (including the wheel) is great, hands down was the best out there (that might have changed now). When I was working for an MP3 company we looked at the iPod's UI with envy.

Anyone remember the argument over windows nicking Apples GUI for their OS? Yes? Anyone remember the argument over Apple nicking their GUI OS from Atari? No?
    You mean the Xerox PARC system, I presume.

I thought OS9 was a big piece of crap. When I first started a new job and was shown the mac I was going to be using I despaired. When I used OSX for the first time all that changed. It's a beautiful OS, so well designed. You can say Apple were lazy in using the BSD core but I think it was such a smart move by them, it does seem to give them move time to play around with other things that are innovative. Windows seems stale in comparison.

Yes the iPhone is going to do for phones what the iPod did for MP3's. Fool people into wanting one.
    Maybe, but my above points were meant to highlight that Apple have made some of the best UI I've seen. If they can do that with a phone then I might well be sold.

Thread Information