Thread: Another "Research shows dancing is good for you" story..

The Dashing Moderator

Another "Research shows dancing is good for you" story..

BBC News story here

Admittedly it's about Salsa, but it looks like the conclusions apply generally to partner dancing.
    Love dance, will travel

Re: Another "Research shows dancing is good for you" story..

Quote Originally Posted by the BBC story
    One concern expressed after the study was the high number of people who dropped out of the classes at an early stage - and only one male participant managed to complete the course.
    I wonder if this would have been such a big problem had they chosen to do their study with Ceroc/MJ, rather than Salsa.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I wonder if this would have been such a big problem had they chosen to do their study with Ceroc/MJ, rather than Salsa.
    Well, according to this press release, the guy running the study is a salsa dancer, so that probably influenced his choice somewhat

But yes, Ceroc / MJ would definitely have been a better choice from a "retention" point of view. Would it have been more effective, though? I'm not sure - you've got to think and work a bit to get salsa, which maybe is more effective than just turning up. It'd be interesting to see a comparative study of effectiveness of different dance forms.

( Of course, if it'd been tango, they'd probably have sunk even deeper into depression )

I don't need the BBC to write a story to know that dancing is good for you! And I would defy anyone to come to Southport for a day and draw any other conclusion. Oh yes, just remembered, nearly anyone....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blueshoes View Post
    I don't need the BBC to write a story to know that dancing is good for you!
    I think (I hope!) it's a bit more sophisticated than that.

Apparently, they're using the Beck Depression Inventory - and the results (summary here) seem to be effective.

It's an interesting question whether it's "salsa" or "partner dancing" that is the cause, however - if the latter, then Ceroc would be better because it's a shallower learning curve, and therefore a higher retention rate.

And I would defy anyone to come to Southport for a day and draw any other conclusion.
    Christ no - the last thing I'd do to someone with depression is to send them to Pontins for a weekend. It's quite possible for normal people to get depressed at these events, emotions are heightened and so on - you often see people who are miserable and/or crying. So it'd be massively irresponsible to do that, it could tip them over.

Oh yes, just remembered, nearly anyone....

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Apparently, they're using the Beck Depression Inventory - and the results (summary here) seem to be effective.

It's an interesting question whether it's "salsa" or "partner dancing" that is the cause, however - if the latter, then Ceroc would be better because it's a shallower learning curve, and therefore a higher retention rate.
    An even more interesting question is if the results are from selection bias since they only include the 30% or so who actually stuck with the Salsa classes. I would suspect those people would tend to be the ones whose depression was least "severe" (for want of a better term) in the first place.

From experience of both Salsa and Ceroc, I'd think Ceroc would work a lot better - I think it's a far more welcoming environment for beginners. Conversely, a lot (although not all) of Salsa classes have elements that almost seem designed to demoralise beginners. (E.g. the classes that have the group warm-up, but don't break any of it down for beginners. It makes a huge difference if you find a class which actually teaches it).

Christ no - the last thing I'd do to someone with depression is to send them to Pontins for a weekend. It's quite possible for normal people to get depressed at these events, emotions are heightened and so on - you often see people who are miserable and/or crying.
    Of course, sleep deprivation will do that... But even without that, I'm not sure weekenders are ideal for newcomers to dance, even if they don't suffer from depression.

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    An even more interesting question is if the results are from selection bias since they only include the 30% or so who actually stuck with the Salsa classes. I would suspect those people would tend to be the ones whose depression was least "severe" (for want of a better term) in the first place.
    More statistical conclusions reached by the statistically illiterate, it would seem...

My feeling is that Modern Jive would be far more effective because -

SALSA MUSIC IS RUBBISH AND BORING.

(Mind you, the DJs down here are doing their utmost to parallel that...)

Blog Entries

Yes, I'd like to see the raw data - I googled for it, but couldn't find anything published

Of course, sleep deprivation will do that... But even without that, I'm not sure weekenders are ideal for newcomers to dance, even if they don't suffer from depression.

Weekenders can be lonely and depressing places - not everyone is out being the life and soul of the party. But you never hear much from the people who didn't have a good time...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    SALSA MUSIC IS RUBBISH AND BORING.
    Yeah, I can't deny it.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 8th-January-2007 at 02:37 PM.

(Mind you, the DJs down here are doing their utmost to parallel that...)[/QUOTE]

Here! Here!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Weekenders can be lonely and depressing places - not everyone is out being the life and soul of the party. But you never hear much from the people who didn't have a good time...
    I dunno.... went to a Salsa/Jive combined weekender recently and didnt know that many people there, and those I did know where all being coupley with each other.
    So I went out and had fun and the net result is that I now have 3 new lady friends from around the country that I keep in contact with regularly. I also partially converted them to Jive (they were at the weekend for the salsa).

Quote Originally Posted by DJ
    Yes, I'd like to see the raw data - I googled for it, but couldn't find anything published
    I don't think the paper has actually been published yet, or at least if it has it isn't in any reputable journal - I'll keep an eye out in the journals though, and let you know if I can get hold of any of the raw data.

I agree with that BBC report, but also agree with you its not specific to Salsa.

Dancing has really really helped me through some tough times and has pulled me back from the edge and really has turned my life around. I won't go into details, but it certainly helped me. I can't imagine a world without dance now.

The only downside is its depressing knowing you have to wait X amount of days before your next "dance fix".

Thread Information