Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another a year another diet

Re: Another a year another diet

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I'm not having a go at you Martin (for a change) but I am deeply suspicious of anyone who doesnt love eating or who is indifferent to food generally.

There is nothing worse than going to a restaurant or having people over for dinner and they only eat enough food to keep a small kitten satisfied for a few minutes.

Food is such a pleasure....why deny yourself?
    It's that I don't like food, it's just that I'm kinda absent-minded, and I don't get very strong hunger pangs. Eg, on a weekday, I might skip breakfast because I woke up late, skip lunch because I'm working and got distracted, and skip dinner because I need to get ready for dancing. Of course, when I do eat, I tend to eat a lot, so hopefully I wouldn't offend you as an eating partner.

Glasgow, im my lovely little flat that I share with Ali! Photos of it on my bebo. Like Glasgow except the rain LOL

hiya know how u guys feel, i have put on loads in last year cos i hurt my back so wasnt dancing. gutted! x

Quote Originally Posted by Paulthetrainer View Post
    A lady told me years ago that the person from WW told her not to exercise 'because exercise (weight training) can make you put on weight'. I assume they were referring to the old 'muscle is heavier than fat' chestnut, but still!paul
    The problem with weight watchers leaders is that you become guilty by association. There are some shocking idiots running classes and it's so annoying when i hear about leaders talking garbage.

None of us have any formal training, its all based on our own experiances. You cant be a leader for weight watchers unless you have lost weight with them and reach a healthy weight for your height...and kept it off.

So, with no training, you tend to get a lot of old wives tails coming out, like you mentioned.
    Last edited by Double Trouble; 6th-January-2007 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by littlewiggle View Post
    2 cream eggs,
    How is a diet supposed to successfully start in the new year if in Dec/Jan you can already buy cream eggs?!
    I went into the supermarket on the 2nd Jan and the shelves were already stacked with mini eggs and cream eggs, I didn't want one till easter then I saw them and want them all. And 28th Dec got a packet of mini eggs!
    Everyones conspiring against us!!!

Conspiracy theory over
    Last edited by ducasi; 6th-January-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: fixing quote

Quote Originally Posted by BeccaB View Post
    Everyones conspiring against us!!!

Conspiracy theory over

I agree diets are easy if you stick to them only thing is life isn't easy, every thing conspires against us

One egg is fine you just carn't have the pkt thats the challenge

Last edited by ducasi; 6th-January-2007 at 11:02 PM. Reason: fixing quoted quote

Thats good to know DT. A lady told me years ago that the person from WW told her not to exercise 'because exercise (weight training) can make you put on weight'. I assume they were referring to the old 'muscle is heavier than fat' chestnut, but still!
    Yeah, this is a bit like the over-use (IMO) of the Body Mass Index (BMI). If you are fairly muscular but still have good cardiovascular ability then IMO it doesnt matter that your BMI is over 25 (the threshold for overweightness). Much better that than being under 25 but having no muscle, no fitness and higher fat than the person who is over 25. At least that is my excuse for having a BMI over 25

Like many stats things, it has some use but has its limitations

Its a shame so many people have a paranoia of gyms. They make assumptions that just aren't true. Gyms are full of intimidating lycra clad super fit people, in just the same way that dancing is full of gay men!

paul
    Well, there are a few about but i have been told by some women that that is an attraction rather than a drawback (the lycra clad men before you ask ). The gym i go to has people who are all sizes, especially at this time of year

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OK, I'm going on a 7-day detox diet, starting now.

Lots of rice, vegetables, fruit and water, and potatoes, which is fine.

No crisps, choccies (eaten them all now anyway ), etc. - again, fine.

Mainly, the problems will be:
    • No red meat / chicken / turkey ()
    • No tea / coffee ( )
    • No bread / cheese ( double )

I'll have to see how it goes...

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Mainly, the problems will be:
    • No red meat / chicken / turkey ()
    • No tea / coffee ( )
    • No bread / cheese ( double )

I'll have to see how it goes...
    No red meat/chicken/turkey - For 7 days I might manage but
    No bread/cheese - agreed (double ) and many
    No tea - but fair enough. No coffee (many, many s) :faints: - nah! think I'll pass - did I mention my lovely new coffee machine I got for Christmas?
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Detox diets? Is there any evidence that they do any good?

Saw two women on 5 Life ( ) over the weekend, advising people to drink/eat pure coconut oil to deal with fungal nail infections and athlete's foot.

I found myself wondering whether one or other of them might be the sole UK importer...

(and I tell people not to watch Big Brother 'cos it's rubbish...)

Basically IMHO diets don't work. I lost a stone beginning of last year and luckily it managed to stay off. I gained a few pounds over christmas but lack of exercise and pigging out was a contributing factor to that. Once I get back into the swing of things I should be fine again.

I'd LIKE to lose another stone or so as I'm still a bit overweight.

Have not been following my own advice of late, but I had good success last year with eating whatever l liked.. IN MODERATION and OFTEN. I.e. I would have 6 "meals" a day .. breakfast, small healthy snacks and a light lunch. It helps maintain your blood sugar levels and boost your metabolism.

Basically it's a very simple equation. Fuel in - fuel used up for exercise = Fat. if you use up more than you put in you'll lose fat.

remember pound for pound muscle takes up less volume. So weigh yourself AND measure your hips, biceps, thighs etc.. you may not be losing weight but losing fat and gaining muscle tone. And the more muscle tone you have the more calories you will burn for the same tasks. a 2L engine burns more fuel than a 1L engine.

Also Drink plenty of water to fuel the process

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Basically it's a very simple equation. Fuel in - fuel used up for exercise = Fat. if you use up more than you put in you'll lose fat

I thought it was water retention

Now I find out it was cake retention all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I thought it was water retention

Now I find out it was cake retention all along.
    The thing is sweetheart, NOTHING is taboo. if you want to eat cake then eat cake. As long as you eat sensible quantities and have a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle then no food is taboo.

I rarely count calories, but they are handy in the beginning to gauge an idea of how much you can eat per sitting.

so say 6 meals a day. and say roughly 2400 calories per day (depending if you want to maintain , lose or muscle build) is about 400 calories per meal. or 5 300 calorie snacks and a 900 calorie main dinner? it's up to you. but eat sensible sized portions of varied foods and you should do fine.

Cake and chocolate are NOT BAD things. if you deny yourself something you'll just crave it more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Also Drink plenty of water to fuel the process
    On a related note, apparently it's actually nigh on impossible to tell the difference between hunger and thirst until you reach the dry lips/throat point.
    Next time you feel hungry, have a glass of water. If you're not hungry 5 minutes later then you probably never were.
    These are my suggestions (stolen from elsewhere ):

1. Drink a glass of water and wait 5 minutes before eating
    2. Only eat when you're hungry
    3. Eat slowly and savour each mouthful to make sure that your body has time to tell you that you're full before you've over-eaten
    4. When you're full, stop eating. No matter how nice it is, you can always save some for later
    5. Measure your success in size not in weight, it's a much more accurate indicator
    6. If you go wrong, it's a temporary blip, not a failure, you can always keep going. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Detox diets? Is there any evidence that they do any good?
    Well, I mainly mean "lose weight" diet. But "detox" sounds nicer than "Christ I'm fat"

I'm hoping that 1 week detox will instill some good eating habits

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Well, I mainly mean "lose weight" diet. But "detox" sounds nicer than "Christ I'm fat"

I'm hoping that 1 week detox will instill some good eating habits
    Carol Vorderman does a regular detox and she looks better now than she did 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    On a related note, apparently it's actually nigh on impossible to tell the difference between hunger and thirst until you reach the dry lips/throat point.
    Next time you feel hungry, have a glass of water. If you're not hungry 5 minutes later then you probably never were.
    These are my suggestions (stolen from elsewhere ):

1. Drink a glass of water and wait 5 minutes before eating
    2. Only eat when you're hungry
    3. Eat slowly and savour each mouthful to make sure that your body has time to tell you that you're full before you've over-eaten
    4. When you're full, stop eating. No matter how nice it is, you can always save some for later
    5. Measure your success in size not in weight, it's a much more accurate indicator
    6. If you go wrong, it's a temporary blip, not a failure, you can always keep going. Don't beat yourself up about it.
    mostly

not so sure about 2. i find if I'm hungry when I tend to eat more as I'm mentally more hungry than I am physically (if you follow) eyes bigger than stomach syndrome.

other people's mileage may vary. What works for you is great, what works for others may differ. I personally find regular snacking keeps my blood sugar levels up at a reasonable level without peaks and troughs.

although of late.. I've not been following my own advice.. but mean to once more. I lost a stone previously using various methods and becoming more active.

but mainly VERY good (rep worthy) points

I did that carol vorderman detox for 30 days, the 2nd week was the hardest, but felt loads better, tho I didn't lose a huge amount on it my skin was lovely.
    Only problem was major headaches which were cured with one square of chocolate, amazing I know! So if you're detoxing and get a major headache have a little of something you loke to get rid of it, but only a little!

Good luck

The Forum Legend

I did that carol vorderman detox for 30 days, the 2nd week was the hardest, but felt loads better, tho I didn't lose a huge amount on it my skin was lovely.
    Only problem was major headaches which were cured with one square of chocolate, amazing I know! So if you're detoxing and get a major headache have a little of something you loke to get rid of it, but only a little!
    It was amazing eh. 256293 headaches in just 30 days!

I was shocked too!!!

The Forum Legend

I was shocked too!!!

Thread Information