Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh puh-LEAZE!

Re: Oh puh-LEAZE!

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I think it therefore stands to reason that the band that made one of the world's consistently most popular tracks is named as the best band - or am I missing something?
    Yes. Several IQ points, I should think.

Queen were a novelty band. Hugely entertaining, highly skilled musicians, and more. But look at their songs - Seven seas of Rhye, Bohemian Rhapsody, Radio ga ga, We are the champions, I want to break free, Another one bites the dust. They are all musical larks. Sort of like chinese food - lots of spice and zing! but not very filling.

I had all four of Queen's first lps (well, I borrowed Queen I from somebody and somehow never quite managed to return it) so I was an admirer.

But look at the Beatles - Strawberry Fields, Hey Jude, Norwegian Wood, Help!, Ticket to ride, the whole of Abbey Road and the whole of Sergeant Pepper, Revolution, A hard day's night, Paperback writer, All you need is love. All these in the years between 1962 and 1969 - that's right folks. Only 7 years separated She loves you from Get back.

Queen started out in - what? 1970? and Freddy Mercury died in the 1990s. In more than 20 years they never even laid a finger on the Beatle's mighty reputation.

Until now.
    Last edited by Barry Shnikov; 3rd-January-2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post

Queen were a novelty band. Hugely entertaining, highly skilled musicians, and more. But look at their songs - Seven seas of Rhye, Bohemian Rhapsody, Radio ga ga, We are the champions, I want to break free, Another one bites the dust. They are all musical larks. Sort of like chinese food - lots of spice and zing! but not very filling.
    The Chinese seem to survive on it well enough.

But look at the Beatles - Strawberry Fields, Hey Jude, Norwegian Wood, Help!, Ticket to ride, the whole of Abbey Road and the whole of Sergeant Pepper, Revolution, A hard day's night, Paperback writer, All you need is love.
    Comparing these list of songs it seems to me that athough the Beatles probably had the edge on depth and originality nobody actually listens to them any more. They're dated, Whereas the Queen songs you mention are all still regularly played on the radio. They're still a living part of popular culture.

Do you think you're maybe taking things a bit too seriously, Barry? I like Queen, anyway.

I want I want I want to breeeak free....yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    The Chinese seem to survive on it well enough.

Comparing these list of songs it seems to me that athough the Beatles probably had the edge on depth and originality nobody actually listens to them any more. They're dated, Whereas the Queen songs you mention are all still regularly played on the radio. They're still a living part of popular culture.

Do you think you're maybe taking things a bit too seriously, Barry? I like Queen, anyway.

I want I want I want to breeeak free....yeah!
    'probably had the edge on depth and originality'.......? The understatement of 2007, surely?

Well, how do you explain the apparent durability of Queen as opposed to the Beatles? Assuming you agree with me on that point. If we all live till we're 150 will the Beatles have been elevated to the status of classic artists of the 20th Century by that time & we'll be able to do degrees in Beatles studies?
    Last edited by jivecat; 3rd-January-2007 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Infinitessimally tiny error in layout

Well, how do you explain the apparent durability of Queen as opposed to the Beatles? Assuming you agree with me on that point. If we all live till we're 150 will the Beatles have been elevated to the status of classic artists of the 20th Century by that time & we'll be able to do degrees in Beatles studies?
    You think people haven't already written theses on the Beatles?

You say that Queen are played more than the Beatles. That may be true - not being a music radio listener I'll take your word for it. But I bet you don't hear Seven seas of Rhye very often, or Liar. The Beatles aren't played - I suspect - because they were the sixties, whereas Queen were putting out singles in the nineties.

What they should really do is simply re-style the polls. "Name your all-time favourite band" would result in headlines like "Most Radio 2 listeners vote Queen as their favourite band". Now there's no way to take exception to that.

A while ago there was a 'most influential pop artist of the twentieth century' poll somewhere. Well, to be influential, you have to have time for your influence to percolate, for people to hear your music, copy it, adapt it, produce their own style influenced by yours, and of course you will have to be fabulously talented to start off with. Who won? Robbie Williams. Who the hell has he influenced? (X factor contestants do not count.)
    The only sensible answers to this poll would be, eg., Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra maybe, Buddy Holly. But of course all the hoi polloi do is just vote for their favourite performer. (And then go back to their play pen, presumably) So why not just name the polls that way?

Queen = Rock Band
    Beatles = Pop Band

Subtle but important difference. I could argue about the lyrical merits of 'She loves you yeah yeah yeah' compared to 'Is this the world we created?' But frankly, who the hell gives a damn? I like both bands, I like the Rolling Stones too, and Take That, and The Monkeys, and Pink Floyd, and some of the covers that Steps released are fun, OK Steps aren't 'cool' but I'm not trying to impress anyone with my musical tastes.

The Forum Legend

What they should really do is simply re-style the polls. "Name your all-time favourite band" would result in headlines like "Most Radio 2 listeners vote Queen as their favourite band". Now there's no way to take exception to that.

A while ago there was a 'most influential pop artist of the twentieth century' poll somewhere. Well, to be influential, you have to have time for your influence to percolate, for people to hear your music, copy it, adapt it, produce their own style influenced by yours, and of course you will have to be fabulously talented to start off with. Who won? Robbie Williams. Who the hell has he influenced? (X factor contestants do not count.)
    The only sensible answers to this poll would be, eg., Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra maybe, Buddy Holly. But of course all the hoi polloi do is just vote for their favourite performer. (And then go back to their play pen, presumably) So why not just name the polls that way?
    You know this. I know this. So, why are you making so much fuss about it? People vote for their favourites. Which generally mean the most current, since that's the ones that they hear more often, and are more familiar with.

Anyhow, I prefer Queen!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I note no newspaper mentioned the irony of Pauls divorce to Heather Mills happening when he was 64....."la la la la la...will you still need me, when Im 64...."

Blog Entries

I love the irony...

What they should really do is simply re-style the polls.
    You missed my frivolous poll on poll naming, then?

I'm not trying to impress anyone with my musical tastes.
    You've impressed me...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    You know this. I know this. So, why are you making so much fuss about it? People vote for their favourites.
    When asked, "Who's the best?", everyone is going to vote for the artist they like the best, because they consider themselves the best arbitor of taste (even the "Hoi Polloi" mentioned before ). It stands to reason that what they like best IS the best. (Now what prompted Barry's original whinge....? ).

Both are excellent bands. Both are worthy winners of a radio show poll. Best, after all, is always subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Anyhow, I prefer Queen!
    They'll take anybody in law school these days. In my day...

Queen = Rock Band
    Oh puh-leaze!

Led Zeppelin were a rock band: never released a single in the UK. Queen were a novelty band (see above). What else is Bohemian rhapsody but the ultimate novelty single?

The Beatles were a pop group only in the sense that it became necessary to expand the definition of 'pop' to include songs like A day in the life and I want you (she's so heavy) and Strawberry Fields and Hello, goodbye. To hear the Beatles rock out, listen to Revolution no. 1 on the white album, it's a match for Queen any day.
    Last edited by Barry Shnikov; 4th-January-2007 at 10:52 AM. Reason: presentation

Re: I love the irony...

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    When asked, "Who's the best?", everyone is going to vote for the artist they like the best, because they consider themselves the best arbitor of taste (even the "Hoi Polloi" mentioned before ). It stands to reason that what they like best IS the best.
    You're so right. One might otherwise believe e.g. that the Oscar was always awarded to the actors who gave the best performances on film that year.

I'm still irked by the idea that Queen might be thought a 'greater' band than the Beatles. Their undoubted musicianship and Mr Mercury's outstanding showmanship have blinded people to the fact that the songs are, generally, bubble-gum.

IMHO.

Blog Entries

Their undoubted musicianship and Mr Mercury's outstanding showmanship have blinded people to the fact that the songs are, generally, bubble-gum.
    Does it matter? Maybe the radio show audience were in a mood for "generally bubble-gum" music? Maybe, on that particular day, they prefered "We Will Rock You" to "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"? I dunno. I wasn't listening. Although the article you posted mentioned that there was some sort of debate during the 3 hour show. Maybe those arguing for Queen were more convincing than those debating on behalf of the Beatles.

Hey - next time, why not get yourself signed up as a pundit. I'd listen.

Does it matter?
    Not in the sense that it matters whether NHS patients are exposed to MRSA, no. This is a 'chit chat' forum, though, so...
    Maybe the radio show audience were in a mood for "generally bubble-gum" music? Maybe, on that particular day, they prefered "We Will Rock You" to "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"? I dunno. I wasn't listening. Although the article you posted mentioned that there was some sort of debate during the 3 hour show. Maybe those arguing for Queen were more convincing than those debating on behalf of the Beatles. Hey - next time, why not get yourself signed up as a pundit. I'd listen.
    I don't know how it happened. I'd love to have heard any arguments presented for voting Queen ahead of the Beatles. I think your first post was correct - regardless of how the poll is presented, people just vote for who they like.

Wow, that might have alarming implications for democratic elections...

They do say that women won't vote for an ugly candidate.

Hold on though - whatever can have gone on in Lemon Biscuit's constituency?

Blog Entries

Does it matter?
    Not in the sense that it matters whether NHS patients are exposed to MRSA, no. This is a 'chit chat' forum, though, so...
    Sorry, I meant - does it matter if the songs are generally bubblegum? Maybe that's what the majority of the audience prefered on the day (if, indeed, they agreed with your assessment of "bubble-gum" - which, after all is your personal opinion)

They do say that women won't vote for an ugly candidate.
    I think it was Scott Adams who said that the politician with the best hair will win.

IMHO
    I totally agree with you Barry; The Beatles are a far superior band in your opinion

An Eclectic Toaster

Maybe those arguing for Queen were more convincing than those debating on behalf of the Beatles.
    Sounds like a rerun of the Beeb's 2004 "Greatest Sitcom of All Time" debacle, where the enthusiastic advocacy of Carol Vorderman propelled the Vicar of Dibley to a mind-bending 3rd place.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Sounds like a rerun of the Beeb's 2004 "Greatest Sitcom of All Time" debacle, where the enthusiastic advocacy of Carol Vorderman propelled the Vicar of Dibley to a mind-bending 3rd place.
    erk...and I must admit I've never found Only Fools and Horses particularly funny...wheres Rab C Nesbit on the list, much funnier

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Could be (although hearing from Carol "affordable monthly repayments" Vorderman would persuade me not to vote for anyone she advocated).

Or maybe it was a rerun of the Brits '99, and was just down to multiple calls from a couple in a Scottish University who mistakely thought they were voting for Belle & Sebastian. Who knows...

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    erk...and I must admit I've never found Only Fools and Horses particularly funny...wheres Rab C Nesbit on the list, much funnier
    Number 49. Funnier along with at least 60 others in the Top 100.

I had a Barry Schnikov-esque rant about this one way back, now I merely register amused exasperation at the follies of the hoi-polloi.

Thread Information