Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh puh-LEAZE!

Oh puh-LEAZE!

How ridiculous!

They aren't obviously better than the Bay City Rollers, never mind the Beatles.

I blame it on mobile phones - they are scrambling people's brains, obviously.

Re: Oh puh-LEAZE!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    How ridiculous!

It was 'only' Radio 2 listeners and then only 20,000 of them voting. Don't worry - it wasn't a true reflection of the population at large and phone-in polls are notoriously unvalid anyway. Who did you want to win?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    How ridiculous!

Aye - shocking, isn't it? It's 2007, and still people dare disagree with you... Haven't they learned by now?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    It was 'only' Radio 2 listeners and then only 20,000 of them voting. Don't worry - it wasn't a true reflection of the population at large and phone-in polls are notoriously unvalid anyway. Who did you want to win?
    I agree there are lots of candidates for "best", I couldnt think of one winner to be honest. Look on the bright side though, they "trounced" Take That, quite rightly. How disturbed would we be if boy bands and tv reality show contestants were in the running

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    How disturbed would we be if boy bands and tv reality show contestants were in the running
    Speak for yerself, smurfy. I'm looking forward to finding out if H will go into the Celeb Big Brother House tonight....

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Aye - shocking, isn't it? It's 2007, and still people dare disagree with you... Haven't they learned by now?
    You'd think, wouldn't you?

I don't really care who wins - I think these things are fairly unimportant. I just don't find it easy to learn that people think Queen were a 'greater' band than the Beatles. I've just noticed, however, that I picked a bad link - most of the news reports were headlined 'Queen better than Beatles', but the Beeb went for 'Queen top British band'. I'll pay more attention next time...

Blog Entries

How disturbed would we be if boy bands and tv reality show contestants were in the running
    Yeah, god forbid if a boy band such as The Beatles for example were in the running!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Yeah, god forbid if a boy band such as The Beatles for example were in the running!
    oh dear. If you consider the Beatles a "boy band" I am very worried about you

Blog Entries

oh dear. If you consider the Beatles a "boy band" I am very worried about you
    Well what else were they if not the first boy band?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

A "proper" band?

It's, at least I thought it was, common knowledge that "boy band" is a modern term for a manufactured, mostly talentless, band, to quote wikipedia "Although they are referred to as "bands", they rarely play instruments". Have you been under a rock ?

Nah, as they actually wrote and performed their own songs and started the band themselves.

If I remember rightly The Monkees were the first boy band.

A "proper" band?

It's, at least I thought it was, common knowledge that "boy band" is a modern term for a manufactured, mostly talentless, band, to quote wikipedia "Although they are referred to as "bands", they rarely play instruments". Have you been under a rock ?
    Yes, surely the defining (pop-musical) difference between the (early) 1960s and the 1990s is that in the earlier decade, bands would aggregate out of friendship and common musical interests, gig together, write music, gig some more, borrow a transit and go to London (or Hamburg) and gig some more, try and get a record deal, and go from there.

In the 1990s, 'impresarios' put adverts in Variety, dozens of people went along to the auditions and the impresario cobbled together a bunch of good looking people who didn't sing atrociously, bought some songs and sold the package to an A&R person. These were 'boy' or 'girl' bands. This didn't happen in the (early) 1960s.

The word 'early' is necessitated by the existence of the Monkees. Not only were they 'manufactured', but it was a direct attempt to 'cash in' on the appeal of the Beatles after they gave up touring. Mike Nesmith could play an instrument (went on to have a long career) but I don't think any of the others really could. In the 1970s we had Boney M, the Rubettes, other manufactured bands.

The Beatles were astonishingly ahead of their time (listen to Paul's bass playing on With a little help from my friends, or the use of sampling and sound effects on John's side of Abbey Road) but a boy band? Nah.

Blog Entries

It's, at least I thought it was, common knowledge that "boy band" is a modern term for a manufactured, mostly talentless, band, to quote wikipedia "Although they are referred to as "bands", they rarely play instruments".
    Wikipedia! Well that proves it, then...

BTW, to also quote from the same article...

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The Monkees should be considered the original pioneers among boy bands. Formed in 1965 the group disbanded in 1970, the term is mostly associated with groups from the 1990s onwards, antecedents exist throughout the history of pop music. The Beatles, The Beach Boys & The Temptations, popular in the 1960s and The Bee Gees, The Jackson 5 and Earth, Wind and Fire, popular in the 1970's, have been considered a form of boy band by some, Latin boy band Menudo was founded in 1977.

Blog Entries

A "proper" band?

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Nah, as they actually wrote and performed their own songs and started the band themselves.

If I remember rightly The Monkees were the first boy band.
    Well only being a youngster, I wasn't there so that's why you guys know more about it than I.

So I bow to your superior knowledge of ancient pop bands

Well only being a youngster, I wasn't there so that's why you guys know more about it than I.
    That'll be why I'm five years younger than you then Gav , need a bit of help with maths too then

So I bow to your superior knowledge of ancient pop bands
    Don't know if it's a good thing but always handy for pub quizzes

If you have ever sat through one of those top 100 tracks of all time evenings on a music channel (whether voted by the public or industry) you will know that Bohemian Rhapsody usually places in the top 2.... I think it therefore stands to reason that the band that made one of the world's consistently most popular tracks is named as the best band - or am I missing something?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Wikipedia! Well that proves it, then...
    Yup. 100% fact. ask DavidJames

BTW, to also quote from the same article...
    Now we don't let contrary evidence get in the way of facts But anyway "have been considered a form of boy band by some"... it clearly missed off the word "idiots" at the end there. I think we can all agree that the Beatles were not a boy band by any definition. The monkees are a different matter but in their defence Davey Jones could play tamborine Im sure, and Mickey Dolenz used to play with drumsticks I also found the TV programme very funny

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    If you have ever sat through one of those top 100 tracks of all time evenings on a music channel (whether voted by the public or industry) you will know that Bohemian Rhapsody usually places in the top 2.... I think it therefore stands to reason that the band that made one of the world's consistently most popular tracks is named as the best band - or am I missing something?
    yes you are. I dont know what it is though.

Juju

The monkees are a different matter but in their defence Davey Jones could play tamborine Im sure, and Mickey Dolenz used to play with drumsticks I also found the TV programme very funny
    The Monkees were great, I don't care if they were manufactured or not.

Thread Information