Thread: Keysi Fighting Method

Keysi Fighting Method

I am interested in Keysi Fighting method (as a dance form of course!).

Can anyone tell me more than that which is posted on Wiki.

What styles does this concept borrow from (Wing Chun? Boxing? Wrestling? Muay Thai? Karate? Philipno fighting arts?

How effective is it and have there been any successful practitioners of this form who have won MMA contests.

Re: Keysi Fighting Method

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post

Can anyone tell me more than that which is posted on Wiki.

What styles does this concept borrow from (Wing Chun? Boxing? Wrestling? Muay Thai? Karate? Philipno fighting arts?

How effective is it and have there been any successful practitioners of this form who have won MMA contests.
    Had a quick google for it. There's a video on Youtube

Not much else visible at the momnt. The usual, "it's just another rubbish style cobbled together" comments on the MA Boards.

Looking at it I'd say it uses phillopino martial arts as a strong basis, but they've switched accuracy for power. Then taken the bits they liked from other martial arts and blended them together.

Personally I think it's solved the wrong problem. It seems geared towards street-fghting but you'd get crucified in court afterwards if you tried to claim "I headbutted him because I felt like it" as self-defense / minimum force
    . Not sure if you're interested in actually doing MMA comps, but given that its focus seems to be "Street" it's probably not going to work as well within specific Rules.

However as movie-style choreographed fighting, it works well

From the looks of it, it appears somewhat (remotely?) similar to Silat.

As for effectiveness, I could only guess. The YouTube strip was a display of strikes to vital points, which would make it very effective. I believe if you can predict a reaction then it is bound to be very effective, particularly because it appears to have very little 'long extremity' movements. Everythiing appears to come from short joints, such as elbow, shoulder and knee. The disadvantage that I could see is in a fight against an experienced fighter with very good leg work. You have to get close for this to be effective.
    Last edited by Andreas; 29th-December-2006 at 07:28 PM.

Sorry, but the title of the thread just makes me .

The efficacy of a style that even sounds like it's designed for keyboard warriors seems a little questionable.

Funny that the video is from Batman Returns, as it reminded me more than anything of 'Jailhouse Rock' - the fighting system used by Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon. According to the novelisation, Jailhouse Rock was originally used by prison inmates for fightiing in limited spaces, hence the name. I assumed it was nothing but fiction, but Wiki says there's at least some basis in fact.

"Keysi Fighting Method" "KFM"? That's what it some guy called it in the Batman DVD (really, really interesting...especially the bit about building the car, even my mum was intersted in that bit!).

It does sound a bit self important in that it is a baby style. I think the fight arranger who was praising it accidentally may have alluded to one of its possible weaknesses when he said that [some form of] oriental martial art had been developing for hundreds of years but KFM was new and was still evolving. A cyninc therefore could say "Well. if it is so good, then why should it need to evolve".

But I challenge anyone to watch the Batman DVD and not find the KFM part very intersting. I showed it to a mate who I have been trying to get interested in dancing and he watched it with me and loved it. (And he actually told me to give up martial arts some years ago because he didn't agree with it!!!!!)

Quite a few competitive dancers have done martial arts and there most be common components in both that are visually interesting.I do find the shapes that you can make with your body quite fascinating. And also how two people interact through movement, interpersona distance etc. Why does rumba look good (dance) and what are the areas of activity in wing chun (Marital art...hehe) do you use and which style is effective under which conditions. I wonder if Bruce Lee would have been a rubbish martial artist if he had not been a cha cha champ?

But I digress ( as usual). I must say though that going back to the Batman DVD, that the actors looked pretty rubbish when they were fighting whereas the professionals made KFM look good and so you could say that it is not so much KFM that looks good but rather who is doing it.....like Ceroc!!!!
    Last edited by Ste; 2nd-January-2007 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Misinterpretation and forgetfulness!

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    Opps sorry - totally misunderstood, I thought you were joking about the dancing bit.

Ok from a dancing viewpoint I'd say it's a bit "blocky". Also on the interview on the dvd, they point out that they had to exagerate various moves so the audience could actually appreciate them. They also had to tone down the brutality of other sequences.

It's certainly got potential for choregraphed fights though.

I think it would be tricky to incorporate in Ceroc. There was a SCD epsiode with an american boxer and during the dance he stood still with his arms folded - very dramatic. I suppose you could use Keysi in a similar manner in Ceroc. Alternatively, it does look rather promising as a way of solving other peoples' poor floorcraft

You might want to look at Wushu, aikido, capoeira or tai chi as they've all been likened to dancing.

Thread Information