Thread: Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special

Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special

So what did people think?

Personally I think it showed up the gap in standards between this year and last year. Colin Jackson and Zoe Ball were just miles ahead of anyone else, though Matt and Lilia's waltz came close.

I couldn't believe the judges gave such high marks to Louisa and Emma. Both looked a bit shaky, and I'm sure towards the end Darren had to force Emma's arm down as she'd forgotten what came next!

I'm glad Colin and Erin won, though. It sort of makes up for last year, when (in my opinion) they would have won easily if not for the disastrous dummy dance in the final.

Re: Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    That when you take out the 'public vote' element it was a dance contest tonight, not a popularity contest. And that I agreed with the judges and audience placing of Colin first and Zoe second.

I'm glad Colin and Erin won, though. It sort of makes up for last year, when (in my opinion) they would have won easily if not for the disastrous dummy dance in the final.

The quick step tonight was excellent in choreography, execution and performance. Delightful.

I agree too, Colin and Erin were worthy winners - however I was so disappointed we Mark & Karen didn't do the Arg Tango again ....

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I agree too, Colin and Erin were worthy winners - however I was so disappointed we Mark & Karen didn't do the Arg Tango again ....
    When was it filmed though? Clearly not after the final, so either last week - which would have taken time out of the 'prepare for 5 dances week' for the finalists - or possibly the week before - which would have been before they performed the AT?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    When was it filmed though? Clearly not after the final, so either last week - which would have taken time out of the 'prepare for 5 dances week' for the finalists - or possibly the week before - which would have been before they performed the AT?
    it was filmed the monday after louisa went out, so yes, before the AT. i do think the ballroom "looks" better than latin - and what a christmas treat so see Anton

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hate to admit it, but after the Saturday Final, and the Sunday highlights, seeing yet another show on the Monday kind of lost its appeal to me... Too much, too close together for me. I'd have much preferred SCD proper to have finished last month - then I'd have looked forward to this more.

I agree that Colin was by far the best - he was the only one who actually looked like a proper professional, you never even imagined him putting a foot wrong there. He's the only one I can imagine having a career in dancing.

I think the judges had been told to give everyone luvvy comments and not mark below 9 or something. Mark and Karen's salsa (to La Bamba?) was way too slow, it was almost cha-cha speed, and it showed. Although I liked Vincent and Louisa's Jive, she's so bubbly and bouncy...

Commercial Operator

Count me as another who found the show a bit lack-lustre and disappointing. It was worth it to see Colin win though, I do agree - he danced beautifully. Has he been practicing solidly all year?

Also very pleased that Catherine Tate did not get through her audition (or at least turned her place down) - seeing her partnering the Doctor on next year's show would have been too irritating for words! Although she probably would have given the judges a run for their money.

Um.

Think I'm getting confused Maybe I should start taking the pills again.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Think I'm getting confused Maybe I should start taking the pills again.
    actually i really liked that episode, she can act a bit that girl...surprisingly.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I agree that Colin was by far the best - he was the only one who actually looked like a proper professional, you never even imagined him putting a foot wrong there.
    But I also thought Matt's Waltz was lovely too and I enjoyed seeing Zoe and Ian dancing together again

Louisa and vincent, did anyone else have the feeling that they went wrong a couple of times

I think the judges had been told to give everyone luvvy comments and not mark below 9 or something.
    Of course they'd been told to, it was a Christmas show DJ!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Louisa and vincent, did anyone else have the feeling that they went wrong a couple of times
    They certainly did , she seemed to forget what she was doing a few times. I was very surprised at the scores - as DJ said though - it was Xmas and they were all going to get good scores no matter what

I thought Mark was easily a winner in the main competition (overall) but Matt was far better in the Xmas programme

On another note did anyone hear Craig Revel Horwood singing his duet with Anton ? He's great Anton is terrible

Fake ID to promote Lindsay's events Dorothy's Avatar

Well I loved it all. Will really miss it till the next series.
    When is the next series, out of interest????

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    On another note did anyone hear Craig Revel Horwood singing his duet with Anton ? He's great Anton is terrible
    Yep. Was somewhat strange to see Craig showing a bit more personality and out of 'judge' mode. There was rather a difference in singing ability between him and Anton though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballroom queen View Post
    it was filmed the monday after louisa went out, so yes, before the AT.
    What a shame! I also was looking forward to Karen and Mark's AT again!

I really liked Zoe and Ian - I didn't watch last year's series at all and now wish I had - wow! what legs Zoe has!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
    Well I loved it all. Will really miss it till the next series.
    When is the next series, out of interest????

And I say: "Bless, Louisa". She seems to have loved the experience and I bet, as a girl of that age, she'll get so much out of having done it too. Eastenders is such an awful programme and does nothing to demonstrate the capabilities of its actors, if they have any. In the soap, Louisa acted the chav beautifully, but who wants to be remembered for that? Bloody good on her, is what I think, and if it shows one single teenager that dancing is more than tutus and queens then fan-flippin-tastic - it's done its job and more!

All the dances were thoroughly enjoyable and I felt it rather unfair/unnecessary to make a competition out of it. Those in the most recent series had already been working their socks off for the last few weeks and could have easily just done the show out of sheer enjoyment of the dance. Perhaps Zoe and Colin did dance better than the others - they'd probably had more preparation specifically for this show anyway - but seeing as the judges had clearly been instructed to swallow three happy pills before going on, it all seemed unnecessarily contrived to me.

Roll on SCD5!

Personally I think it showed up the gap in standards between this year and last year. Colin Jackson and Zoe Ball were just miles ahead of anyone else, though Matt and Lilia's waltz came close.

I couldn't believe the judges gave such high marks to Louisa and Emma. Both looked a bit shaky, and I'm sure towards the end Darren had to force Emma's arm down as she'd forgotten what came next!

I have a different explanation (though there may be something in what you say) - it is called "bounce" theory.
    After a huge physical and emotional effort that is above previous performances the animal/human suffers a loss of form especially if brought back to the "arena" quickly after this effort, they suffer a bounce down. This theory was devised by a famous U.S. horseplayer (pro gambler) and used to explain the subsequent loss of form suffered by a winning horse, known as the oxo effect (win lose win lose, rather than win win win). It applies to humans in my view and the English test team is a case and so would be the SCDancing contestants who were asked for a big effort following a supreme effort. Jackson and Ball, on the other hand were "fresh as paint".

I thought it was simply that Colin is a better dancer than the celebs this year.

Juju

I thought it was simply that Colin is a better dancer than the celebs this year.
    Yep, agreed. Plus I liked Zoe's Rumba and I hate the Rumba! I also thought Matt deserved a higher mark for the Waltz - it was lovely.

Absolutely. Although there was more competition this year, as there were more contestants with similar ability levels, I don't think any of them would have made last year's final.

Thread Information