Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Faster Than Light travel

Re: Faster Than Light travel

Quote Originally Posted by andystyle View Post
    So yes, in theory warp drive is the fastest, but in practice it's not...
    JMS once said that there was a friendly rivalry between the FX guys on B5 and Star Trek to see who could come up with the coolest stuff each week. Don't know if it applied to whose method of transport was faster, but it would explain why the top warp factor in Star Trek kept getting gradually higher

I know both Universes have Earth in them. Are there any other common points of reference?

ahem.. May I?

Colonel Sandurz: Prepare ship for light speed.
    Dark Helmet: No, no, no, light speed is too slow.
    Colonel Sandurz: Light speed, too slow?
    Dark Helmet: Yes, we're gonna have to go right to ludicrous speed.

Barf: What the hell was that?
    Lone Starr: Spaceball One...
    Barf: They've gone to plaid!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Unless I'm missing something really obvious, the answer is Warp Drive. As Martin says top speed is infinity, whereas in Babylon 5 they had to travel for days just to get from one part of the Universe to the other.

I suppose you could argue which is faster the maximum warp drive acheived in Star Trek vs Hyperspace in B5, but the Tom Paris episode kind a messes that up too.
    Sorry, I'm not too good at explained the rules of the game for this am I?

What I meant was a comparison between non-infinite speed Warp Drive vs Babylon5's style Hyperspace where you physically enter another dimension.

Assuming Warp 10 (infinite speed) wasn't possible, which would be quicker?

I'm guessing it would be down to the scriptwriter who designs the rules of their "hyperspace dimension" and how fast a ship could move there.

BTW, I saw a few posts up above about Firefly - now that was a brilliant Sci-Fi show and I can't believe it got cancelled either.

Oh, has anyone seen "Star Wreck - In The Pirkinning"?

Its basically "When Star Trek Met Babylon 5". It was done by a Finnish company, so the audio is all in Finnish, but has English Subtitles.

For a free film its amazingly well done and the special effects are good. Tons of big starship battles too.

http://www.starwreck.com/

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Dark Helmet: No, no, no, light speed is too slow.
    Colonel Sandurz: Light speed, too slow?
    Well - it has slowed down a lot in recent years. Faster-than light travel is easy these days

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    I'm guessing it would be down to the scriptwriter who designs the rules of their "hyperspace dimension" and how fast a ship could move there.
    Well lets take it a bit more abstract. Warp works by shrinking space in front of you and expanding it behind you (a bit like a wake). Hyperspace basically works by a ship shifting to a another dimension or short cutting the traditional three (four) dimensional model by cutting through another dimension.

Lets see what other geeks say:

Predictably Star Trek has a formula which is an image so I shan't copy (even if it was MathML I'm not sure this would support the tags. However the speed they could do reliably in Voyager was Warp 9.9753: 1.8x10^9 km/s. Which is pretty fast. I don't know why they have it in km/s though rather than 1.8x10^12m/s.

From the Star Wars entry:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In any case, hyperspace is an extremely fast method of travel, as Obi-Wan and Luke's journey from Tatooine to Alderaan is theorized to have only taken two days maximum, whereas these two planets are separated by half a galaxy or more. Darth Maul took approximately seven hours to travel from Coruscant to Tatooine. The movies, as well as multiple Expanded Universe sources, show hyperspace as having a mottled, blue-and-black appearance. An entry into hyperspace shows the stars stretch into starlines, then turn into the mottled appearance. Externally, a ship entering hyperspace is described in Timothy Zahn's novels as displaying a flicker of pseudomotion before disappearing. Like the above-mentioned Star Trek series, "holocomm" transmissions are featured in Star Wars as long-range, faster-than-light communications signals, sent through hyperspace.

Hyperspace speed is calculated with classes. Known classes are: 0.5 (Millennium Falcon), ~1 (X-wings), 1-2 (capital ships like Star Destroyers), 3 (Death Star), 4 (bulk transports, Advanced TIEs).
    So Star Wars hyperspace appears faster than a non-Warp 10 Star Trek ship. Got no idea about Babylon 5. I'm still not sure why I'm debating this: read about general relativity instead... much more factual .

Nice post their KillingTime, very informative.

As far as I can remember the best summing up about the speed of spaceships in Babylon 5 came from the shows' creator J. Micheal Straczynski.

"they move at the speed of plot"

which I think is a nice summing up

Forget light speed, hyperspace, ludicrous speed , Plot speed etc... I move at the speed of dark. It doesn't matter how fast light travels.. it's always dark before it gets there

Quote Originally Posted by andystyle View Post
    Because in the Star trek universe, starships travel by wrapping themselves in a warp bubble, which moves through our dimension of space. Dubious physics - or just not developed yet - but that's how it was explained.

There was a book (im sure there are many) re what couldn’t happen in the future based on our understanding of physics

It dismissed many of the star treck ideas apart from massive increase in computer capacity etc i.e. law of of physics wouldn’t allow transporters etc etc

I wonder what someone from 1510 would think was ‘possible’ based on their understanding of physics or isn’t that a fair analogy now based on our understanding of the universe

Ok im going to look for the super string for my xmas presents

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    m going to look for the super string for my xmas presents
    "Pete Are you some sort of weird space alien?"
    "No I'm a frayed knot"

I'm a tangle in super string.. would explain a lot really

Having just watched the 2003 mini-series last night (got it for £4.99 online), the FTL shown here seems quite nippy. Bright flash, suddenly elsewhere - no apparent transit time (although when Galactica comes out of FTL, the camera pans arounds the control centre and the clock is blinking away with no time on it)

Still, it's a good one - doesn't appear to need any particular point in space to use either.

Thread Information