Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What fabrics / (t)shirts for summer

B.T.C.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Now, DD.....

Originally posted by Jayne

contemplates Bill in speedos......

J

Not a pretty site I assure you ..but I did wear shorts and I even have a photo of me in a vest and shorts...and my little legs looking pale and thin in the summer sun on the Isle of Wight

But some of the girls did wear pretty skimpy outfits.....but then it was pretty hot the second week !

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Now, DD.....

Originally posted by Bill

But some of the girls did wear pretty skimpy outfits.....but then it was pretty hot the second week !

it was great!!!! kept us girls a bit cooler - the shock was comming home and realising that it probebly was'nt really suitable to wear so little up here.

there was James in his loin cloth - there you are guys there is an alternative dress code for you! The fact that he was being tarzan was neither here nor there.

it was hot though - we even got sunburnt through the clouds one day while doing a class on the lindy lawn! so you lucky people who are going this it year dont forget your sun cream! am really disapointed that we cant make it while you guys will be dancing away we will be teaching the delightful scottish pupils/students.

fran

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Now, DD.....

Originally posted by Fran

there was James in his loin cloth - there you are guys there is an alternative dress code for you! The fact that he was being tarzan was neither here nor there.

fran
    I can remember a couple of occassions when GUS turned up and danced in a loin cloth. sorry Gus couldn't resist

Back to t-shirts, as the wife of a very hot (I mean sweaty) dancer who changes t-shirts every half hour or so, we discovered a similar product to the stay dry type you get in outdoor shops in a shop in Merry Hill that outlets over the country called Uni Qlo. I believe they are a foreign outlet, but these are brill. They are only about £7 and come in v neck, round neck, short sleeved and long sleeved and come in various colours. They wash brill and tumble and don't shrink and are easy to iron. What a product !!! The only problem is that the shop at Merry Hill has closed, but there is an outlet in London, they may even have a web site (I haven't checked, because we own hundreds of the things)

Give them a try
    Nessie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Now, DD.....

Originally posted by nessie2611
    Back to t-shirts ... we discovered a similar product to the stay dry type you get in outdoor shops in a shop in Merry Hill that outlets over the country called Uni Qlo. ... The only problem is that the shop at Merry Hill has closed, but there is an outlet in London, they may even have a web site
    Their UK website is at http://www.uniqlo.co.uk/ but unfortunately I don't think you can buy stuff from it (or at least I can't figure out how it works!). Also, they seem to be closing all their UK shops, apart from those in London.

Cheers,

Neil

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.
    Originally posted by DavidY
    ... if you go round the outdoor shops they'll sell you various tops that are made with "CoolMax" (Registered trade mark of someone or other [DuPont]) and other such magic materials that are supposed to keep you cool and dry when walking in hot weather.

Has anyone tried these for dancing? If so, do they help?
    Bought a CoolMax shirt on the weekend, and tried it out last night.

It does feel more comfortable for light to moderate amounts of sweat. Unfortunately it's not magical, and can't cope when I'm sweating buckets. I can buy six cotton Ts for the price of the CoolMax one, so for normal "dance every song full on" nights, a bag full of cotton shirts is a better deal. If I'm going out somewhere where it's not so appropriate to bring a bag of shirts, I'll take the CoolMax.

The Dashing Moderator
    Originally posted by gcapell
    Bought a CoolMax shirt on the weekend, and tried it out last night.

It does feel more comfortable for light to moderate amounts of sweat. Unfortunately it's not magical, and can't cope when I'm sweating buckets. I can buy six cotton Ts for the price of the CoolMax one, so for normal "dance every song full on" nights, a bag full of cotton shirts is a better deal. If I'm going out somewhere where it's not so appropriate to bring a bag of shirts, I'll take the CoolMax.
    I tried a Coolmax top myself this week and it seemed to work really well. I was tired so wasn't dancing too hard - and I guess Nottingham last night was possibly a bit cooler than the peak temperatures you'd get in Sydney! However I will be using it again I think. I agree that they're a bit pricey though.
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator
    if you go round the outdoor shops they'll sell you various tops that are made with "CoolMax" David
    David,
    Can you name any of these outdoor shops, I recently tried about a dozen such places in sunny Ireland, but not a CoolMax or similar in sight.

Greg

Originally posted by Sheepman
    David,
    Can you name any of these outdoor shops, I recently tried about a dozen such places in sunny Ireland, but not a CoolMax or similar in sight.

Greg
    I'm interested, too! After reading this thread, I was thinking of trying to get some for Marc's birthday. For online purchases, I can only find American websites with expensive shipping rates, such as
    http://www.raceready.com
    http://www.roadrunnersports.com

(Anyone got any other birthday present ideas for a dance-maniac???)

BTW Neil - I realise this is extremely belated (I've been so busy working ... honest!!) but - Hello, and welcome to the Forum. Nice to find out who you are! And hope to see you again at Nottingham soon.
    Rachel

Originally posted by Rachel
    I'm interested, too! After reading this thread, I was thinking of trying to get some for Marc's birthday.
    Hi Rachel!

You could try going to http://www.millets.co.uk/ and doing a search for CoolMax. The t-shirts I've got are made by Peter Storm and are available from either Millets or Black's outdoor shops.

BTW Neil - I realise this is extremely belated (I've been so busy working ... honest!!) but - Hello, and welcome to the Forum. Nice to find out who you are! And hope to see you again at Nottingham soon.
    Thanks very much, Rachel! I'll be at Nottingham tonight, modelling one of my CoolMax t-shirts. You'll be very welcome to feel it to check out its dryness...

Neil

Originally posted by Neil
    I'll be at Nottingham tonight, modelling one of my CoolMax t-shirts. You'll be very welcome to feel it to check out its dryness...

Neil
    Why thank you - so kind! But can I take a raincheck on that? We're at MK tonight....
    R.

Hi Rachel!

You could try going to http://www.millets.co.uk/ and doing a search for CoolMax. The t-shirts I've got are made by Peter Storm and are available from either Millets or Black's outdoor shops.Neil
    Neil - you're a star - just had a quick look at this webpage and it's just what I was after. Thank you!
    R.

Originally posted by Rachel
    Why thank you - so kind! But can I take a raincheck on that? We're at MK tonight....
    Rachel, you have a standing invitation to feel my t-shirt any time you like

Seriously though, I swear by these CoolMax t-shirts - it's so nice not to be feeling soggy and/or having to change shirts all the time. However, having read gcapell's comments above, it may be that they are particularly suited to my pattern of dancing at a Ceroc night (i.e. 2/3 dances, retreat to bar for 10 mins, another 2/3 dances etc. etc.). They may not be quite so good for non-stop "full-on" dancing.

Cheers,

Neil

p.s. re tonight: Nottingham's loss is MK's gain!

The Dashing Moderator
    Hi Rachel!

You could try going to http://www.millets.co.uk/ and doing a search for CoolMax. The t-shirts I've got are made by Peter Storm and are available from either Millets or Black's outdoor shops.

Thanks very much, Rachel! I'll be at Nottingham tonight, modelling one of my CoolMax t-shirts. You'll be very welcome to feel it to check out its dryness...

Neil
    Which Neil are you? I'll also be at Nottingham tonight (but wearing a Taxi T shirt rather than one of my Coolmax ones).

Incidentally I bought my Coolmax ones from Millets as well so I guess we run the risk of wearing identical shirts to the same night.

David
    Love dance, will travel

Neil & David,

will either of you be at Nottingham next Monday? I'm doing a course at the Uni for a few days so I was planning on going to the Monday class... If so, do I get a feel of your t-shirt too?

J

Which Neil are you?
    The devilishly handsome, witty, charming and elegant Neil, often to be found propping up the bar at the Marcus G.

I'll also be at Nottingham tonight (but wearing a Taxi T shirt rather than one of my Coolmax ones).
    If you're taxiing, you should be easy to track down - I'll come and say hello.

Incidentally I bought my Coolmax ones from Millets as well so I guess we run the risk of wearing identical shirts to the same night.
    Oh no, the social disgrace!

Cheers,

Neil

(apologies to our kind Scottish hosts for all this Nottingham talk)

Originally posted by Jayne
    will either of you be at Nottingham next Monday? I'm doing a course at the Uni for a few days so I was planning on going to the Monday class... If so, do I get a feel of your t-shirt too?
    I'll be there, Jayne, and I shall absolutely insist that you feel my t-shirt. We could even have a dance or two if you like...

Neil

p.s. There's also Ceroc on a Thursday in Nottm, if you're around.

Ceroc Franchisee & Teacher cerocmetro's Avatar
    Sorry but without having to read lots, is there a conclusion to the best fabric?

Adam

The Dashing Moderator
    Originally posted by cerocmetro
    Sorry but without having to read lots, is there a conclusion to the best fabric?

Adam
    Sorry if I missed anything out but I think the story so far is this:
    * Outdoors-y shirts made of material like Dupont's CoolMax work a lot better than ordinary cotton, but are pricey and not miracle workers when it's really hot & you're dancing hard
    * UniQlo do cheaper "stay-dry" stuff if you can find them
    * Gus likes H&Ms which use lycra and cheaper still
    * a bag of cotton tops is probably cheapest of the lot but don't stay dry as well
    * Will likes Linen trousers
    * Chicklet likes anyone who changes often enough to not be sweaty

Is this a fair summary folks?
    David

edited 'cos I accidentally pressed Submit before I'd finished writing...
    Love dance, will travel

Sal
    Is this a fair summary folks?
    Fairly efficient, I would say - 4 pages of writing into 1 post!

I'll be there, Jayne, and I shall absolutely insist that you feel my t-shirt. We could even have a dance or two if you like...
    Ahhh, and I though i was special, now you're offering out feels left, right and centre ... Never mind, if I have to share with anyone, then let it be Jayne.
    Rachel

P.S. We always love coming to Nottingham - it's always a brilliant atmosphere there. Hope to be back soon ...

Thread Information