Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What fabrics / (t)shirts for summer

What fabrics / (t)shirts for summer

It can be tempting to dance less during the summer, due to the difficulty in keeping cool and apparently dry.

I always go for 100% cotton shirts on the grounds, that though they may need ironing, and do not come in the same range of styles, they are more breathable than some synthetic fabrics.

It has recently come to my attention, due to a post on the Ceroc London Forum - Coffee Corner - Clothing thread (http://www.ceroclondon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29) that this may not be ideal.

Given a particular material it seems to me that (t)shirts are often too short for comfortable dancing.
    Then there is acceptable style / price / reluctance to spend time shopping to consider.

So what styles (incl patterns & colours) and fabrics of (t)shirts work best for you and where do you get them ?

And any comments on what you like / do not like about the (t)shirt(s) on your dance partner ?

I like to wear linen trousers in the summer.

Blog Entries
    No particular preference to declare, just make sure you change them as often as necessary, or preferably more often than perhaps STRICTLY necessary.

Everybody who has been dancing more than a couple of times knows how bad it can get and the multi-changers, far from being lambasted as sweaty buggers are cheered as thoughtful and clean!!

You'll dance best, smile and enjoy the night if you are comfortable so if you find a t-shirt / shirt you feel happy with, buy 6 the same or in different hues?

Works for me!

But then the problem for girls is a bit more complex as getting the right tops is only half the problem, getting the right bras for under them can be a nightmare!!!

Last thing, guys, pale trousers and sweat patches don't flatter anyone!!!DON'T DO IT!!!!!

The Dashing Moderator
    When I have time & I'm not dancing, I occasionally go outdoors walking - and if you go round the outdoor shops they'll sell you various tops that are made with "CoolMax" (Registered trade mark of someone or other) and other such magic materials that are supposed to keep you cool and dry when walking in hot weather.

Has anyone tried these for dancing? If so, do they help?

Of course they might not look that good but when temperatures rise I'm not sure how important that is compared to being comfortable (?)

David
    Love dance, will travel

Originally posted by Will
    I like to wear linen trousers in the summer.
    Do they come in Baco-foil finish then?

Originally posted by DavidY
    When I have time & I'm not dancing, I occasionally go outdoors walking - and if you go round the outdoor shops they'll sell you various tops that are made with "CoolMax" (Registered trade mark of someone or other) and other such magic materials that are supposed to keep you cool and dry when walking in hot weather.
    Using similar "logic" --- I've occasionally worn my running shirts. These are increadibly breathable, but warm enough when not dancing -- not terribly stylish, something like a t-shirt. The other advantage is that the seams are angled, so that you don't get "chafing" around the armpits, etc.

The only disadvantage is that they are slightly shiny and might not be quite so easy to hold.

Neil.

The Oracle
    Not sure if it is ideal for summer, but this would definitely stop any problems with 'sleazy' men.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by DavidB
    Not sure if it is ideal for summer, but this would definitely stop any problems with 'sleazy' men.

interesting idea - but surely a sweat inducing activity like dancing would have the shirt zapping the wearer ? Mind you, would save you money on hairspray if it did .

Commercial Operator
    SHORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T-shirts? Dunno, ask a dancer...

Originally posted by DavidY
    I've just started wearing CoolMax t-shirts for dancing in, and they're brilliant! I can wear the same shirt all night and, by some miracle of modern science, it's still bone dry at the end of the evening. I still take a towel to wipe off the copious amounts of sweat pouring off my hands and face (sorry, probably too much information...).

It's a trademark of DuPont, I believe. The ones I've got are made by Peter Storm and, as David says, you can buy them at any outdoors-type shop.

Cheers,

Neil

p.s. great forum guys (& gals)!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Originally posted by DavidB
    Do you think they do it in trousers too David - that would be funny if they pulled you in too close
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Re: What fabrics / (t)shirts for summer

Originally posted by frodo
    It can be tempting to dance less during the summer, due to the difficulty in keeping cool and apparently dry.
    Frodo,

you could always consider moving to scotland, then the problem won't arise....

J

Commercial Operator
    Whatever material you choose guys,...just try not to make it a vest or sleeveless T shirt,.most of the ladies I know, like the feel of sweaty (and sometimes hairy ) arms a lot less than damp material.....

Commercial Operator

Now, DD.....

Surely the SIGHT of a man in a vest is worth the occasional hairy/sweaty bit, no?

Re: Now, DD.....

Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
    Surely the SIGHT of a man in a vest is worth the occasional hairy/sweaty bit, no?
    NO !!!

Re: Re: What fabrics / (t)shirts for summer

Originally posted by Jayne
    Frodo,

you could always consider moving to scotland, then the problem won't arise....

J

There's a tempting thought. Just thinking of all those air-conditioned venues ...

T-shirts

If you are after good t-shirts to stay ccol in, try H&M's. They have lycra t-shirts in white or black for only #4 ... I've got about 8 and they really are good.

Commercial Operator
    I'm just recently converted to the lycra tops from the baggy t-shirts, nothing much to do with comfort, just the reaction from the ladies was too good to be true! (So I'm rationing they're use for the moment!)
    Trouble is, I can't get any of them with sheep designs
    Felix dancewear also do the staycool tops, but for men you have a choice of just black or white, they are looking for sources to expand the range.
    Greg

B.T.C.

Re: Re: Now, DD.....

Originally posted by LilyB
    NO !!!
    You mean I should throw out all my lycra vests???

I haven't worn any for a few months but we had a long discussion some time ago on another thread about the 'issue' of men in vests.

The last few parties in Edinburgh have been very hot and a few changes have been necessary but if the air conditioning is good then I don't think folk need to change too often but will have a look out for some of these makes mentioned.

MAybe we can adopt a Beach Boogie attitude and turn up in shorts/ swimwear/ t-shirts.......

Re: Re: Re: Now, DD.....

Originally posted by Bill
    swimwear

contemplates Bill in speedos......

J

Thread Information