Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age defiance strategies

Age defiance strategies

I have a friend in Singapore who is in his early forties. People often think he is a lot younger than he is (maybe about 10 years younger). I know that he dances and goes to the gym. He was chatting to one Chinese lady over here (I was there) and she thought he was the same age as her son. She thought he was in his early twenties. Now you can’t say “It’s because he is oriental, because oriental people look younger than they actually are” because oreintal people themselves think he is younger than he is.

I was wondering about the subject of age defiance.

Does any one have any age defiance secrets? I mean for both mind and body.

For example I have a theory. When you get to your forties, your face starts to sag. It's gravity. Your jowels start to fall. YOung people don't seem to have that issue. Their skin is taut. I reckon that an age defiance secret could be for people to avoid being overweight in their twenties and thirties because this would minimse the prospects of jowel fall later in life. You have to plan ahead ( I didn't because I thought my youth was virtually a perpetual state.)

I would like to pose two (related but separate) questions as follows. I give an example of my own answers. And yes, the most important ones are at the top and the least important are at number ten.

A. If you were 18 again, what ten things would you like to have done to preserve your youth up to the present day?

Answer:

I would have

1. Slept better
    2. Drank more water on a regular basis
    3. Kept out of the sun more or used sun block
    4. Used moisturiser
    5. Done a lot more choreographed dance to enhance memory skills and for fitness.
    6. Gone to the gym or done more exercising. Become incredibly fit. Taken more massage and physiotherapy. Avoided things that cause too much stress on the body or at least warm up properly. Maintained my suppleness…it’s almost all gone now!
    7. Done orienteering or at least something to build up the spacial part of my brain
    8. Played more cognitive games, puzzles, Rubiks Cube, IQ tests, memory games whatever.
    9. Taken more calcium for my bones.
    10. Taken cod liver oil, regularly

B. What ten things do you think are important if you want to preserve your youth from today onwards?

Answer:

I would like to

1. Get a lot fitter. Gain some muscle mass and also improve my cardio vascular. Weight training, running, swimming., boxercise.
    2. Use Regaine (but it’s too expensive!)
    3. Take calcium and cod liver oil and glucosamine
    4. Play intellectual and executive games. Try to learrn things that I am not good at.
    5. Learn more dance forms.
    6. Drink more water.
    7. Sleep better and longer.
    8. Discipline myself to use face creams and sun creams.
    9. Eat more fruit and veg. Eat more fish. Less pre cooked food.
    10. Take gingkyo…….if I can remember!

What do you think?

Re: Age defiance strategies

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post

I was wondering about the subject of age defiance.

Does any one have any age defiance secrets? I mean for both mind and body.
    I don't feel qualified to answer this - people have been telling me I look 10 years older than I am for year

()

Ask the looks-perpetually-25-Ducasi instead (I remember him saying something about a picture in the attic...)

Registered User SeriouslyAddicted's Avatar

I say life is for living - do what makes you happy. Who cares if you have some wrinkles or saggy skin - I would rather be inundated with laughter lines and happy than look young but miserable.

Live life, laugh lots and most important of all don't regret a single second!

Blog Entries

As a youngster (I'm hardly old now!) I seriously abused my body, mind and soul, but boy do I have some memories (err, and some blank spots ). If I could try again there's only two thing's I'd change:
    1. I wouldn't marry my ex!
    2. I'd learn to dance much sooner.

I have no idea how old you are Ste, but it's all in the mind.
    I'm 34, but I feel like I'm 24 and I won't do anything tiresome or boring to try to make me look good over the coming years. Life is for living right now, not for preparing to be old.

I'm 36.

if I could go back 18 years until when I was 18 I would have slept better, made more friends, been more confident and outgoing and less worried about my appearance.

As an 18 year old I was fresh faced, thin (too thin actually) and quite fit.. what went wrong? I should have kept on being a veggie and exercising but I stopped all that and look at the physical mess I'm in now.

Mind you all that has made me the person I am today, I wouldn't be where I am with who I am if I had been more confident in earlier life.

from this point on though I must try to eat better (doing that already), lose weight, exercise more, and look after my skin (am using face cream now.. well.. it can't undo the damage but it should stop it getting worse) oh.. and despite my post on the Tea thread... I'm MOSTLY on decaff these days

I turned 60 last week

Dancing cerainly keeps the body and mind in good order

And if I had my time again I would have started dancing a lot sooner

I would rather regret what I have done, Then regret what I have not

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    It's gravity. Your jowels start to fall

You mean your family jowels?

Blog Entries

When i was growing up, gyms, fitness, all that malarky was not really the in thing or anything i really knew about until late twenties. i would love to be 18 now and know what i know, i would be oooooooh i would be hot, fit, stunning and rich.

Anyway, the one thing i do regret not doing is discovering Ceroc in my twenties or making many of the friends i have made along the way earlier. This alone though, keeps me younger looking as it makes me happy. A happy face always looks younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    A happy face always looks younger.
    Oh so true trouble. Life is indeed for enjoying. As it says on one of those things that periodically comes into my inbox...

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Have to say though that no matter what you do, the best thing to have is "young genes". I usually get mistaken for younger than I am, and so does my father. This is particularly odd, as when I was in my teens and early twenties, I was always thought to be older than I was - which was great news then (particularly for getting served under age in bars!)

Ste misses out a few extremely important points - lay off the booze, fags and drugs. However, I did all this stuff in my twenties and it doesn't seem to have done me any obvious harm.

Ste doesn't let on how old he is (but I bet he's loads younger than me) but he seems to be giving up too fast. If he thinks he could benefit from his list of "should haves" why doesn't he start on them now? Apparently, even people in their 80s can show improvement when following an exercise regime, so I am not personally starting to view life as one long slow descent into the grave just yet.

1. Get a lot fitter. Gain some muscle mass and also improve my cardio vascular. Weight training, running, swimming., boxercise.
    2. Use Regaine (but it’s too expensive!)
    3. Take calcium and cod liver oil and glucosamine
    4. Play intellectual and executive games. Try to learrn things that I am not good at.
    5. Learn more dance forms.
    6. Drink more water.
    7. Sleep better and longer.
    8. Discipline myself to use face creams and sun creams.
    9. Eat more fruit and veg. Eat more fish. Less pre cooked food.
    10. Take gingkyo…….if I can remember
    I think you should prioritise 1, 9, 5, and 4. I wouldn't bother with 2, 3 and 10 I think you should slap on the sunblock but not fuss about the moisturiser. 6 and 7 can't do any harm, not sure if they're essential, though.

I don't really plan to make any changes to my lifestyle because I already do the most obvious things. I think I can sense my brain cells dying in droves, though, so maybe a bit of mental exercise wouldn't go amiss.

Die young. Problem solved.

I think you should prioritise 1, 9, 5, and 4

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    . 6 and 7 can't do any harm, not sure if they're essential, though.

With sleep, like food, it’s quality not quantity that counts
    yes you can have too much

http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/howto.html

(but not too much)
    Last edited by philsmove; 15th-December-2006 at 10:22 PM.

Refrain from exercise at least 4 hours before bedtime
    Like I'll take that advice.

Tonbridge, Kent, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way, The Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslyAddicted View Post
    I say life is for living - do what makes you happy. Who cares if you have some wrinkles or saggy skin - I would rather be inundated with laughter lines and happy than look young but miserable.

i agree.

Damn i wish I hadn't posted that.

yeah ok....
    what a load of !"£$%^&*^%$£$%^&*(&^%$£"$%*&(^%$£"$^&*(*%$ £"

Life is full of If's, but's, only's....etc........etc.......

If any of you could turn back time and do the things you say you want to do, would any of you be the people you are now?

Let's hope not eh

It's all about experience, it all makes you stronger and the people you are today. So what you got married / pregnant/ divorced by the time you were 10

Never ever regret what you do, regret the things you haven't done. Look forward to the experiences to come, does it matter that you have these experiences later / earlier than some? It always happens when you're ready to accept it.

Embrace the way you are today,don't look back in anger look forward with pride.

OH and if the time machine comes, I'd like to go back to when I was at College or University please

People say I don't look my age - I certainly don't act it - so maybe that is the solution

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Get more experienced at being young.

Juju

Last month someone informed me that they thought I was a full sixteen years younger than my real age.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslyAddicted View Post
    Yeah, but the point is, if you play your cards right you can be happy AND look young. After all, looking (and feeling) ten years older than you actually are is not exactly going to cheer anybody up.

to the first two, but IMO, anyone who genuinely says they have no regrets about anything shows a worrying & tedious lack of personal evaluative abilities. I've got a pile of regrets from accepting certain jobs, not accepting others, not going on a date with that archaeologist bloke, having that extra G&T, Christmas 1978, the list is endless. But I can't say that many of them bother me, now.

Only someone with no appreciation of the consequences of their actions could really, really have no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post

If any of you could turn back time and do the things you say you want to do, would any of you be the people you are now?.......

Never ever regret what you do, regret the things you haven't done. Look forward to the experiences to come, does it matter that you have these experiences later / earlier than some? It always happens when you're ready to accept it.

Embrace the way you are today,don't look back in anger look forward with pride.
    Love the new-style philosophical WB!

Thread Information