Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Negative rep - is it useful?

Re: Negative rep - is it useful?

Personally I slightly prefer not to know the sender of negrep comments I receive, but other folks prefer to know. At the moment the ability to know is linked to being a Silver Member. This has slightly discouraged me from becoming a Silver Member (the other factor is that I'm a cheapskate). I wonder how easy it would be to add that as an option on the profiles of Silver Members.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble
    I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY (anonymous neg rep) EXCEPT ONCE FROM MH - SURPRISE SURPRISE.
    If you know it's from me, then it's not very anonymous.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    If you disagree with something, you should have the ability to tell them so via the rep system but not anonymously, this to me is no different to receiving hate mail in the post.
    So if you receive nasty mail buts its signed, its not hate mail and if you receive a nice valentines card, which is of course anonymous, you label it hate mail ? you're really quite weird

AND BY THE WAY, I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY EXCEPT ONCE FROM MH - SURPRISE SURPRISE.
    As MH pointed out, its hardly anonymous then. So what you are saying is you have never received negative rep where you did not find out who sent it ? Was MH the badly spelt, capitalised "YOUR OUT OF ORDER" neg rep then ? It must be if you've only had one ?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Personally I slightly prefer not to know the sender of negrep comments I receive, but other folks prefer to know.
    I think MH has a point here. Only a small one though, I'm still sitting firmly on my fence.

Any reps should, IMO, be for the post, not the person. In which case, it shouldn't matter who sent it, should it? Having said that, I paid up, 'cos I really really want to know who's commented, 'cos I'm a nosy cow.

Especially when it's a nice comment, it's good to know who sent it - I take 'more notice' of some people's opinion than others - and that's life innit?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Blimey - can it be we've reached a consensus here? Even, dare I say it, some level of ... agreement?
    Nope. Sorry. I still disagree. If I wasn't so charitable, I'd think you were still trying to steer this discussion....

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Ummm...... Don't think so. I still think that if people don't want to sign neg rep, then that should be up to them.
    Exactly. And that also, of course, applies to positive rep.

There's no such thing as anonymous rep. I don't sign any of my rep, as it includes my name beside it. Surely, if someone is that bothered about finding out who repped them, it's more altruistic for them to pay Franck the princely sum of £6 for all the hard work and expense he incurs in providing this forum, than to come on here & moan about receiving anonymous rep?

So, the forum becomes a nicer place following that act of kindness, and then there's less need for neg rep.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    If I wasn't so charitable...
    Well. It is Christmas (almost!)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nope. Sorry. I still disagree. If I wasn't so charitable, I'd think you were still trying to steer this discussion....
    Good grief, of course I'm trying to steer it.

I'm trying to see if there's any element of consensus, to see if we need to make any changes. A certain amount of chivvy-ing along is required under these circumstances.

At the moment, based on people's comments so far, my inclination is towards doing a specific "negative rep" entry in the FAQ.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm, I've been thinking about this and I've got mixed feelings...

if I'm honest, one of the reasons I hardly ever give neg is, although I may disagree vehemently with a sentiments of post or how its been worded (unnecessary vulgarity, off topic, personal attacks or just plain stupid, etc.), I fear that the neg rep would be interpreted as I didn't like the 'person' and not the 'post.'

I'm fortunate, I've been brought up in a close family where debate is seen as healthy and one's opinions are valued, even though not always agree'd with. Under those circumstances, even though arguments can get heated, we all know that the argument is just about that particular issue.

There's a big difference in saying.. your opinion is stupid because.. and 'your stupid' but too many people fail to see that.

Moving on, How much use is it? Well I suppose it depends on how constructive the comment is and whether it opened my eyes to something I hadn't previously taken into consideration..

The only reason i'd like to see the name of the person who might neg rep me, is to have a better understanding of perspective of where the comment has come from, also, the amount of respect I have for the 'repper', will have bearing as to how much attention I pay to it, which may be a lot, or very little!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    At the moment, based on people's comments so far, my inclination is towards doing a specific "negative rep" entry in the FAQ.
    Maybe it could be based on the following....
    Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    As for Neg rep, I see it as 'infractions' for all forum members and as such a good guide of what is not acceptable on the forum. As ever, if a rep comment is abusive, rude or inappropriate, please report the message so moderators can take appropriate action.

Blog Entries

Maybe it could be based on the following....
    Absolutely, as a statement of principles.

However, I was thinking more about explaining how people should view rep received, and perhaps explaining the whole "anonymity" thing a bit better. It'd be a challenge, I'll admit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Ummm...... Don't think so. I still think that if people don't want to sign neg rep, then that should be up to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Exactly. And that also, of course, applies to positive rep.
    Why exactly? Why of course? I can't see anything from either of you that even attempts to explain or justify why anonymous neg rep is a "good thing".

Clive

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

thought I would post again as a day without a trampy argument is too long.

I agree with maybe just making the thing about giving (and receiving) neg reps it's own section in the FAQ might be a good thing.

Neg reps are clearly a point that people disagree on so maybe just some clearer guidance on their use.

I wholehartedly agree that if someone posts a neg rep then it is up to the recipiant to decide if they want Silve rmembership or not. £6 is not alot.

I do think there is maybe a select few that hand them out on a more regular basis than others, but that is the way of the world. Infact I think Collins are including Harper-rep in the next dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post

I do think there is maybe a select few that hand them out on a more regular basis than others, but that is the way of the world. Infact I think Collins are including Harper-rep in the next dictionary.
    Do you, infact (sic), mean HarperCollins?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    Do you, infact (sic), mean HarperCollins?
    Yep. I don't read them myself (but you can prob tell that by my shocking spelling)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long View Post
    Why exactly? Why of course? I can't see anything from either of you that even attempts to explain or justify why anonymous neg rep is a "good thing".
    That's because I'm not saying that, Clive.

I'm saying that there is no such thing as anonymous rep. As I said in the post you quoted:
    There's no such thing as anonymous rep.
    The subject of the thread is whether Negative rep is useful. And I think negative rep is a good thing, as it allows the forumites, as a democracy, to shape the atmosphere of a forum. It's a means of letting someone know when their behaviour is against the community spirit, in a private way. Whereas, comments made publicly (as has been proven in the outside thread) have led to more arguments and bad feeling.

Hope this helps.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Sure neg rep has it's uses. The point Lou made is a good one.

My argument is more about whether they way they *sometimes* get used is usefull. A neg rep comment like "I don't agree" or "not funny" doesn't really have any use.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    whether they way they *sometimes* get used is usefull. A neg rep comment like "I don't agree" or "not funny" doesn't really have any use.
    It depends on context. It's hard to find a situation where "I don't agree" is appropriate (but not impossible - I can think of contrived examples). But "not funny" is a reasonable response to someone posting an inappropriate attempt at humor. For example:

Poster A: Just to let everyone on the forum know, I'm having a bit of a bad day at the minute - my cat's just died and I've been burying her in the garden.

Poster B: Well, at least it's good news for the worms!
    might well earn Poster B such a neg-rep.

The Forum Legend

That's because I'm not saying that, Clive.

I'm saying that there is no such thing as anonymous rep. As I said in the post you quoted:

The subject of the thread is whether Negative rep is useful. And I think negative rep is a good thing, as it allows the forumites, as a democracy, to shape the atmosphere of a forum. It's a means of letting someone know when their behaviour is against the community spirit, in a private way. Whereas, comments made publicly (as has been proven in the outside thread) have led to more arguments and bad feeling.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long View Post

Clive
    What Lou said

I'll also say that it depends on how it's used, and like a lot of things, can be used (and viewed) both positively and negatively (I feel a need to add, "Grasshopper" in here).

If it's done on the post, rather than the person, and the person receiving it is mature enough to accept that, then I don't see a problem with it.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    It depends on context. It's hard to find a situation where "I don't agree" is appropriate (but not impossible - I can think of contrived examples). But "not funny" is a reasonable response to someone posting an inappropriate attempt at humor. For example:
    Poster A: Just to let everyone on the forum know, I'm having a bit of a bad day at the minute - my cat's just died and I've been burying her in the garden.

might well earn Poster B such a neg-rep.
    I shouldn't have found that funny should I.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DF
    Having a "circle of life" way of thinking, I may well give you positive rep for that comment Rest assured, if I die and someone says that on here, I DO find that funny

Blog Entries

OK, here's what it says now in the FAQ:

How do I give rep?
    To gain / lose reputation, anyone can click on the little scales (or cabbage) icon to the left of the post (beside the on-line green light) and post a comment with an "I approve" or "I disapprove" tag.

To see your current rep, click the "User Control Panel" link at the top of the page and it appears: Thread/post title (linked to specific post), Good (green), bad (red) rep, Date, and Comment. A grey rep button means there is no rep gain associated with that comment.

Most people add a comment like "good post - I know where you're coming from. {Gadget}" or "What are you talking about; sheer nonsense - {Gadget}" Note the names on the end. You don't have to put your name, and if you subscribe you can tell who the rep is from, but otherwise you may not know who has complimented / dissed you.

Note: For some forum areas (such as "forum suggestions" or "Let's talk about dance"), your rep given will increase - this reflects the additional value that these areas are seen to have over areas such as "chit chat". Think "double clubcard points".
    And here's what it could be changed to:

How do I give rep?
    To gain / lose reputation, anyone can click on the little scales (or cabbage) icon to the left of the post (beside the on-line green light) and post a comment with an "I approve" or "I disapprove" tag.

To see your current rep, click the "User Control Panel" link at the top of the page and it appears: Thread/post title (linked to specific post), Good (green), bad (red) rep, Date, and Comment. A grey rep button means there is no rep gain/loss associated with that comment.

Most people add a comment like "good post - I know where you're coming from. {Gadget}" or "What are you talking about; sheer nonsense - {Gadget}" Note the names on the end.

Note: For some forum areas (such as "forum suggestions" or "Let's talk about dance"), your rep given will increase - this reflects the additional value that these areas are seen to have over areas such as "chit chat". Think "double clubcard points".

What’s this “negative rep” thing?
    If you do not like a particular post, you have several options – you can report it to the moderators, you can debate the comment in public, or you can send a negative rep comment to the poster. (Or you can just ignore it of course!).

Negative reps are peer “infractions” for all forum members and as such a good guide of what is and is not acceptable on the forum.

If you send a negative rep comment, please ensure it is not abusive, rude or inappropriate – such messages should be reported to the moderator team for action as for normal posts. Also, please be aware that if your comment is unsigned, an unsubscribed member will not know who the comment is from – and this anonymity may cause (more) upset to the recipient.

If you receive a negative rep, please take it as constructive criticism, received by one of your fellow dancers, about a specific post. Remember that Rep comments are aimed at posts rather than people. Also, please be aware that many people see it as bad form to complain in public about specific negative reps received - it may even get you more negative rep (!).
    Comments?
    Last edited by David Bailey; 18th-December-2006 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Satisfy the spelling-bee crowd...

Thread Information