Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Negative rep - is it useful?

The Forum Legend

Re: Negative rep - is it useful?

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Im honored that you have taken the time out to count the posts I have made Trampy. Make that 39.
    Click on the number of replies to a thread at any point where it lists the thread name, and it'll tell you how many people have posted in that thread.

Took me about 2 seconds to find that out. Wouldn't have spent any more time on it!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Took me about 2 seconds to find that out.
    I'm sure he already knows that. I think he meant he was honoured by the two seconds. Which, of course, he should be

Posts that don't agree with MartinHarper - are they useful?

I've been thinking about posts that disagree with me (as I do), and two powerful arguments have been made against them.

1. "Taking points away"
    A disagreeing post, particularly one that makes sense, makes "my" points seem less convincing. This is intrinsically unfair, as these are my own points. People can of course agree with my points, but shouldn't be allows to make them less effective. People can clean your car, but shouldn't set fire to it.

2. "Bad feeling"
    Like it or not, being disagreed with tends to annoy me, and I often then post about it, which generally doesn't help the overall tone of the forum. Reading some threads, one could be forgiven for thinking that everyone disagrees with me, and this is a nasty place full of stupid people who don't accept my brilliance. It feels a bit too flame-y, in other words.

So, I guess what I'm asking is: what purpose does disagreeing with me serve, that's not covered by either getting a life, or shutting the heck up?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Posts that don't agree with MartinHarper - are they useful?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    {Stuff}
    Maybe you should get a neg rep every time someone disagrees with you. Then we will see how you feel. :-P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    stuff

So, I guess what I'm asking is: what purpose does disagreeing with me serve, that's not covered by either getting a life, or shutting the heck up?
    LMFAO!

Welcome to the MartinHarper forum. Resistance is futile!

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Maybe you should get a neg rep every time someone disagrees with you. Then we will see how you feel. :-P
    Believe me, if that rule gets applied globally, you will not enjoy the consequences...

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Believe me, if that rule gets applied globally, you will not enjoy the consequences...
    It's the MH rule.

The Forum Legend

Oh. Come on. What's the worst that can happen? -235962352 rep points. It's not that bad!

I would just like to make an announcement at this point.

I have, in the past, received positive rep from Martin Harper. Unfortunately, I can't prove it, as you can only see the last 20 or so comments. But it's true. I've probably had -ve rep too, but can't remember (which means it was either well-deserved or unimportant [shrug]).

The point is that MH, as someone else has said, actually reads the content of the posts he reps, and is brave enough to respond accordingly, where others of us can't be bothered, sometimes for the reasons Caro outlined so articulately above. Mr Harper, I salute you

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    LMFAO!
    Welcome to the MartinHarper forum. Resistance is futile!
    I hope I get some good standing on the MartinHarper forum, afterall my surname is also Harper.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Ahhh... now we get down to the truth of why DJ is bovvered by Neg reps - they're bad, because they're democratic & give Power To The People. Power which would be better invested in the NewDavidJamesDictatorship!
    Hey. a man can but dream...

In truth, I'm conflicted.

I think there are flaws in the system. Originally, the argument against them was put very strongly to me by another forumite, and I put this argument on to kickstart the discussion. I didn't say I believed fully in it, however.

In hindsight, I'd describe the system in the same way Winston Churchill described democracy - "the worst possible system, except for all the others"

I disagree. I think David Franklin's ODA opinion is more likely accurate.
    I'd not want to be so judgemental; I'd say rather that it's too early to tell. Heck, even I may have posted the odd less-than-scintillating post in my early days.

Why should I disagree?
    Why not? You do everywhere else...

however they'll go on about Neg Rep like someone on the Jeremy Kyle show
    I always thought you would be a JK watcher somehow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I'd not want to be so judgemental;
    Why stop now, just when we're enjoying it.

I always thought you would be a JK watcher somehow.
    Well.... It used to be Jerry, then Trisha... I have to keep up an understanding of the underclass somehow. And i was poorly for a couple of days last week, with only daytime telly to keep me amused...

Posted from carriage H, on the 20:45 from Paddington. Just pulling into Didcot

The Forum Legend

And i was poorly for a couple of days last week, with only daytime telly to keep me amused...
    Which in itself is a good reason to go to work anyhow!

For me, negative rep is a reminder that there are people who disagree with what I think or say or have taken offence at something I have written that I have thought witty or clever.

So that's neg rep trying to understand the sender's point of view.

It is my choice whether to agree or disagree with the other person's opinion on my comment. I should always consider his/her comment but I don't have to agree with him/her. I won't get upset that a person disagrees with me and has chosen to let me know they disagree or taken offence with what I have written.

So that's neg rep from the receiver's point of view.

Arrogance expresses itself when you do not consider the other person's point of view or think he/she is automatically wrong when he/she disagrees with you.

And then they all went to bed with a nice, warm cup of Horlicks.

Oh, and I will neg rep anyone who persists in quoting the whole of someone's post in a reply without "directing" the response to the relevant part of the original post. S38, I'm on your case.

I think there are flaws in the system. Originally, the argument against them was put very strongly to me by another forumite, and I put this argument on to kickstart the discussion. I didn't say I believed fully in it, however.

In hindsight, I'd describe the system in the same way Winston Churchill described democracy - "the worst possible system, except for all the others"
    Partly going from the other thread going on outside, I do wonder if it makes sense for -ve rep to be automatically signed (or similar). It does seem strange for this to be the one area where you can do things anonymously.

One argument is that people may be 'too scared' to give -ve rep if the recipient can see who sent it. But given Silver membership allows you to see who sent you rep, even under the current system you can never be sure they won't find out. (Plus the workaround using ignore lists).

A second argument is "knowing who sent you rep is one of the 'carrots' of paying for Silver membership". But most people always sign their rep anyhow, so I'm not sure how much difference this makes. And if the "real" carrot is "knowing who sent you intentionally anonymous -ve rep", I'm a bit dubious about the morality of needing to pay for it.

I'd not want to be so judgemental; I'd say rather that it's too early to tell.
    If you look at the post, you'll see I was actually rather careful not to rule out that it might be too early to tell. Conversely, several 'formally respected' posters have ended up losing the plot to the point where everyone was sick of them. (Who remembers the "joy of NZ Ceroc" threads...?)

<< snip >> I do wonder if it makes sense for -ve rep to be automatically signed (or similar). It does seem strange for this to be the one area where you can do things anonymously. << snip >>
    Yes! Absolutely. If you disagree enough with someone to neg rep them, then let the recipient know who you are.
    Conversely, several 'formally respected' posters have ended up losing the plot to the point where everyone was sick of them. (Who remembers the "joy of NZ Ceroc" threads...?)
    Oooh. I missed that one. HarperLink anyone?

Blog Entries

[QUOTE]
    Partly going from the other thread going on outside, I do wonder if it makes sense for -ve rep to be automatically signed (or similar). It does seem strange for this to be the one area where you can do things anonymously.

This is a major flaw as i have already expressed on the other thread. If you disagree with something, you should have the ability to tell them so via the rep system but not anonymously, this to me is no different to receiving hate mail in the post. AND BY THE WAY, I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY EXCEPT ONCE FROM MH - SURPRISE SURPRISE.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blimey - can it be we've reached a consensus here? Even, dare I say it, some level of ... agreement?

The Forum Legend

Blimey - can it be we've reached a consensus here? Even, dare I say it, some level of ... agreement?
    Ummm...... Don't think so. I still think that if people don't want to sign neg rep, then that should be up to them.

Of course, if people want to find out who's sent it, and not signed it. That's up to them too!

Blog Entries

no

Thread Information