Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Negative rep - is it useful?

Re: Negative rep - is it useful?

Perhaps a fairer measure would be rep/post ratio.

Even if I'm lazy and count Tramp's from the beginning of all his posts - at least half of which must have been made *before* the rep reset if my reckoning is correct? - then Trampy's ratio:

1302/9316 = 1:7 (i.e. 1 rep for every 7 posts) - nearer 1:3 in my estimation if I counted 'fairly', i.e. from all Tramp's posts since the rep system introduced.

Woodface's ratio:

904/64 = 1:14

Case closed.
    Last edited by LMC; 14th-December-2006 at 07:26 PM. Reason: correct bad grammar. And note a big LOL @ cross post

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    You know what Trampy I actually agree with you.

Having done some quick calculations you have averaged 1.12 rep points per day and I have averaged 2.06 rep points per day.

It's such a shame that the figures you use for your calculations are completely wrong though isn't it. And you use worthless comparison figures anyway - who cares about number of days. It'd be number of posts which counted (if anything did!).

So, even if the rep system had been here since when I started (which it wasn't), and even if I had been capable of getting rep points for all of the posts I've made (which I haven't), I'd still be averaging 0.14 rep points per post. You on the other hand have been capable of getting rep points for all of the posts you've made. And you average 0.07 points per post.

You really, really should learn to just shut up some times
    Last edited by TheTramp; 14th-December-2006 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Beaten to it by a girl. The shame of it! :wink:

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Then i post alot in non-discussion threads like the next word on ones etc.

That and in response to people who argue for the hell of it.

The Forum Legend

How much you post should have nothing to do with it either. I do post alot but as far as im aware (and to Trampys dismay), there are no caps on how much you can post.
    Anyone want to start a poll on this?

Get thee behind me Satan

(oh, and )

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

My point exactly about the rep's

theres always some Billy Big Chips who has a diffrent opinion than the next person along, therefore, the rep system gets used in diffrent ways.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Thats a good idea. The only people who have got tonnes of rep points are the ones who have been on here since the dawn of the fourm anyhow.
    Not true - the rep system has been reset and/or changed several times. The people who post a lot are more likely to get rep, its a simple numbers game. Take DavidJames for example, you don't think he has all that rep on MERIT do you

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    I've been here just over 4 years now. And I reckon I'd been here over 2 before the rep system started. My recollection is that it was probably around the summer of 2004. But I'm probably wrong
    Nah, you're probably right. I was purposefully estimating on the "long side" because I didn't want to be overstating the case.

... sound of Google whirring...

Seems the rep system was introduced in about June 2004 and the reset was somewhere in Nov 2004.

So Trampy has about 1290 / 700 = 1.843 earned(*) reps / day.
    Woodface has 54 / 31 = 1.742 earned reps / day.

So even on that measure, Trampy wins.

(*) Earned reps as you start with 10 just for joining the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodface
    there are no caps on how much you can post.
    OK, Moderator James - how much would it take...?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Not true - the rep system has been reset and/or changed several times. The people who post a lot are more likely to get rep, its a simple numbers game. Take DavidJames for example, you don't think he has all that rep on MERIT do you
    As has been mentioned 3 times now.

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    More rep power than you got big boy

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    More rep power than you got big boy
    You know what they say:

Many hands make cap work...

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

And there was me just about to start one saying Does it make you a better spinner if you have sex upstairs or on the Balcany.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

As has been mentioned 3 times now.
    yeah I missed the last page and didnt notice - still a point worth making is worth doing to death

you really should neg rep me for that though

Tonbridge, Kent, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way, The Universe.

For what its worth I think its good that you can privately show your appreciation for somebody's post in the form of a positive rep. Obviously there are other ways of doing this, like PM's, but this way works and its quick and easy.

However, I do not think that negative reps are a good idea whatsoever though. I would never negative rep anybody because I think all it does it discourages people to post, and therefore voice their opinion. Some people would be fine about it sure, and such people have come on here and said just that. Fair play to them for not being too sensitive about it, but I wonder if there are people who no longer post on the forum because they took their neg rep to heart? If there are, then they're not going to be around to voice their dissatisfaction at the system, since they already voted with their feet, we just don't know why.

I don't think that just because you have a positive rep system, that you ought to have the opposite. It's said that children who misbehave should not get the same amount of attention for bad behaviour as they do for good behaviour. I don't think that its too different for adults. Here we have moderators who will hopefully sort out anything thats truly out of order, like rude and insulting behaviour for example. Beyond that anything else is subjective anyway, like disagreeing with somebody elses opinion. This is a forum ("a meeting place..........for the discussion of questions of public interest") after all, and its very nature is such that it allows disagreements, and fortunately agreements, to flourish in equal measure.

A 2p piece clinks onto the floor and Paul leaves the room.

Paul

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

er...you dropped something

i totally disagree. well actually, i dont. You made some good points, I mainly disagree with your conclusion.

Yes, a forum is a meeting place, is for discussions etc...but rep doesnt change that. If a person cannot fully articulate why they dislike a post they can still let someone know with a neg rep and not have to face a public humiliation from that person berating a negative comment. Before we had rep, that seemed to happen a lot more.

Lots of negative rep is a sign that people disagree with you - but some people dont like to be told that and would rather "win" by shouting back in public. So really the neg rep option is a boon to the "little guy" and a good way of voicing opinion.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

er...you dropped something

i totally disagree. well actually, i dont. You made some good points, I mainly disagree with your conclusion.

Yes, a forum is a meeting place, is for discussions etc...but rep doesnt change that. If a person cannot fully articulate why they dislike a post they can still let someone know with a neg rep and not have to face a public humiliation from that person berating a negative comment. Before we had rep, that seemed to happen a lot more.

Lots of negative rep is a sign that people disagree with you - but some people dont like to be told that and would rather "win" by shouting back in public. So really the neg rep option is a boon to the "little guy" and a good way of voicing opinion.

If neg rep was used appropriately and not just given out for the hell of it, then I would agree, but, as you are aware with being tag teamed, doesn't work that way.

Neg rep used to bother me when i first started using the forum but you soon get to know who will leave neg rep and who wont. As I said eairlier, Im sure there is only a small minority of people who actually give out neg rep.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

If neg rep was used appropriately and not just given out for the hell of it, then I would agree, but, as you are aware with being tag teamed, doesn't work that way.
    I didn't object to the rep at all, i just thought it was very funny to be "tag teamed". I am not going to complain about "why" someone would neg rep me. I don't need to know their reasons and if it seems to me that it's "just for the hell of it" I can be very sure that that is NOT the case....People don't move their mouse over to the icon and click a button "just for the hell of it" i would say, but their reason can be as illogical as they want, it's up to them.

Neg rep used to bother me when i first started using the forum but you soon get to know who will leave neg rep and who wont. As I said earlier, Im sure there is only a small minority of people who actually give out neg rep.
    Indeed and their reasons may differ from others reasons. Good luck to them, its not them with the problem, its people complaining about a little red dot that need therapy

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blimey, I leave a thread alone for 2 hours and it goes beserk

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    One solution would be a new option allowing the few people mentioned above to opt-out of receiving negative rep.
    Interesting... I guess they'd have to opt out of the rep system entirely in that case to be consistent? Would people be interested in a "rep-free" membership?

Hell no, I got most of it by blatantly cheating and re-writing history once I became moderator. Obviously. Duh.

(Actually, no-one seems to rep moderators much, I'm sure the others will back me up on that )

Re: limits on post numbers:
    Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Hah, I'm still waiting for the rest of my flippin' bribe from Trampy...

Actually, I was wondering whether it'd be a good idea to have some sort of posting limit on non-registered members (say, 100 posts / month), but I dunno whether that'd encourage registered membership (a Good Thing) or discourage people from posting at all (a Bad Thing). Different discussion of course...

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I didn't object to the rep at all, i just thought it was very funny to be "tag teamed". I am not going to complain about "why" someone would neg rep me. I don't need to know their reasons and if it seems to me that it's "just for the hell of it" I can be very sure that that is NOT the case....People don't move their mouse over to the icon and click a button "just for the hell of it" i would say, but their reason can be as illogical as they want, it's up to them.

Indeed and their reasons may differ from others reasons. Good luck to them, its not them with the problem, its people complaining about a little red dot that need therapy
    my point wasn't if it bothered you or not, it was more to the point that they both done it and as you said "one's done it do the other has" or something along them lines.

If people want to complain about it then thats also up to them. Just like if people want to just 'argue' then they do.

I think there are people more heavy handed with neg reps than others. I would assume you are one of them but hey, if everyone was the same, the world would be a boring place.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post

Actually, I was wondering whether it'd be a good idea to have some sort of posting limit on non-registered members (say, 100 posts / month), but I dunno whether that'd encourage registered membership (a Good Thing) or discourage people from posting at all (a Bad Thing). Different discussion of course...
    Prob a bad thing. Most heavy posters will register anyhow. Im waiting for my new debit card before signing up to pay pal (unless there is another way)

Thread Information