Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Negative rep - is it useful?

Re: Negative rep - is it useful?

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Then they should use the PM function and that wont happen.
    This is a somewhat valid argument (although it was not one of the alternatives listed by DavidJames). However, I think we'll just get people complaining about people sending them negative PM's instead... Or people will just ignore such messages, so people will post their comments to the thread where they can't be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble
    It's like you are not allowed an opinion that conflicts with someone else's, unless you expect to get neg rep for it.
    I don't think I've ever been given -ve rep simply for disagreeing with someone.

Blog Entries

Can we enable other people to see reps (I know it doesn;t happen at mo).

I think if it was to be used, should be more of an ebay feedback feture, where it should be used as last resort.
    That's probably the most sensible suggestion yet, as long as all previously given rep comments are secret. Not that I would've said anything that I wouldn't want to become public

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I know, I'm trying to keep a straight face too).
    Have you considered surgery ?

Then they should use the PM function and that wont happen.
    Rep is a good enough way to make your feelings known. A PM to someone you don't know to continue a conversation from a thread is much more innapropriate - in my opinion of course.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post

I don't think I've ever been given -ve rep simply for disagreeing with someone.

I have

What purpose do neg-reps serve, that's not covered by either open debate / complaint, or by reporting a post?
    The ability to quickly and conveniently send (and receive) private feedback that will be unarchived. For example, I recently received a rep comment stating that I was being "a bit of a twat" on a thread. That allowed me rethink my attitude to the discussion and change tack. The commentator might not have been motivated to pass on the same comment had s/he had to go to the bother of sending a PM on the subject.
    So yes, it is useful.

The vast majority of forumites react in a mature and considered fashion upon receiving negative rep, and for them the system works well and doesn't need changing. Sadly, a few forumites react to negative rep by throwing their toys out of the pram. The worst case I can recall involved sending four pieces of hatemail in response to a single polite neg rep.
    One solution would be a new option allowing the few people mentioned above to opt-out of receiving negative rep.

I have
    Me too

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    {snip}
    Another solution is for people not to use it just because they can

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    It's annoying that anyone can neg rep you
    Why? They obviously think that you deserve it...

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    it just causes bad feeling
    Hmmm. So, if you've brought someone to the point that they feel they want to send you negative rep (which is just a disagreement with what you've posted), you'd prefer to see their disagreements publicly stating why they think you shouldn't have said that? Personally, I think that I'd prefer most of them privately, so that I can think about them, decide whether or not I agree with them, and maybe do things differently in future. After all, it's just a bit of private neg rep. It's not like the world is going to end or anything (I think I should cut and paste that, I might be saying it a lot in catching up with what I think of this thread).

Also had a few saying that the pointers I give are bad etc. How can me stating what I do to achive something be a bad pointer (most people here know what im talking about).
    Because, while it works for you, it might actually be bad technique (say, hypothetically, for example, if you gave out bad advice on spinning which might hold other people back).

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    So would you also ban pos rep love-fests - when a group of people all seem to pos rep each other constantly?
    No. I'd just privately laugh at them.

As you say, You can give people money but you can't steal it.
    Ummm. Actually, you can. It's wrong (unless you're the Government!). But you can do it.

I also think it might put some people off from posting if they feel their comments will be taken out of line/context or not agreed with.
    What? "I won't post in case someone disagrees with me" (whether it be publicly in the thread, or privately by neg rep!). Presumably, they don't ever talk to anyone else, just in case everything they say isn't agreed with either.

Me? no. But I think others do. Some people take things the wrong way and if people don't have a sense of humor or can't be bothered to read a thread or post properly, then that is their problem, not mine.

I like to think that people appricate +rep and I do freely give it out for things I think worthy. have only ever given 2 neg reps and one of them was accidental.
    If it doesn't worry you, why do you keep going on, and on, and on about it then? I neg rep people from time to time. It's nothing personal. And I still like (some of) them face-to-face. Just when I've disagreed with something they've said, and not wanted to carry on a public thing about it. But still want to let them know what I think. Other people have neg-repped me for pretty much the same thing. So what?

Oh, and I've given out accidental rep too. But in my case, I gave out positive rep when it was supposed to be negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    So in the end the status of a "high reputation" doesn't really mean much.
    Of course it doesn't. And I don't really see what the problem is.

Under those circumstances, I'd expect a post to be reported, rather than a neg-rep to be applied.
    Or both maybe?

Like you, I've had a few negative reps. In general I've found them useful feedback.
    Absolutely!

Strangely, most people handle compliments better than insults. Funny that.
    Of course. Except for the mature people!

Get rid of neg repping I what I say. (not that that counts for anything!)
    But it doesn't bother you. You said so. And you're right. You don't count for anything!

Personally. I don't have a problem with neg rep. When I get it, I try to work out why someone has had such an issue with what I've said that they want to leave me neg rep. And a few times, I've agreed with it, and wished that I hadn't said what I did.

The rep system isn't actually worth anything. And if anyone wants my rep points, they can have them. Positive rep is nice to get. Negative rep isn't so nice, but maybe it's deserved*. Either way, who cares really? You'll probably survive It's not like the world is going to end....

*For example, I think I'm going to start neg-repping anyone who starts a new thread with any of the words 'sex', 'upstairs', 'balcony' or similar in the title...
    Last edited by TheTramp; 14th-December-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

i thought it was very funny and i got to say only "cowards and imbeciles" neg rep, which having given neg rep, includes me. No one laughed though. As usual

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    {snip}
    So if I neg rep'd you now and just put, I don't agree, you'd be ok with that and not slightly miffed?

The Forum Legend

So if I neg rep'd you now and just put, I don't agree, you'd be ok with that and not slightly miffed?
    I wouldn't be at all miffed. I might think that you're even sadder than I already do. But don't worry. You can't go down much in my estimation!
    Last edited by TheTramp; 14th-December-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Can you neg rep twice if a person has posted the same thing you disagree with twice?

After post 17 I started losing the will to live, so I've gone straight to "Reply".

Are we all adults or what? "S/he neg repped me so I'm gonna neg rep him/her". Big fat hairy deal. Grow up.

Looking at my "place" in the ratings compared with some people whose knowledge and experience of dancing WAY exceeds mine (and this is a dance forum) brings me to the conclusion that the whole system is just pretty pointless and non-representative, frankly.

The comments are useful, and very much appreciated when they are nice - they can really cheer you up. I rarely get nasty comments and they are always from people who probably care as much what I think as I care what they think - after all, you can't get less than zero.

Zapping across a rep comment is far quicker than sending a PM, especially if you just want to send a few words or a smiley. But I would really love "the management" to get rid of the points system. Can we keep the comment facility but ditch the point "assignment"?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    {snip}
    Thats a good idea. The only people who have got tonnes of rep points are the ones who have been on here since the dawn of the fourm anyhow.

It's not representative of what you dance like or if your posts / comments / advice are worth taking note of, are they Trampy?

The Forum Legend

It's not representative of what you dance like or if your posts / comments / advice are worth taking note of, are they Trampy?
    I'd usually say no, not at all! But the fact that I have about 1300 points, and you have 64 does actually prove differently (in isolation from the rest of people's scores of course!)

Can you neg rep twice if a person has posted the same thing you disagree with twice?
    Physically you can, provided it's a different post, and you satisfy the various criteria about "spreading it around". I'd recommend against it, though.

Thats a good idea. The only people who have got tonnes of rep points are the ones who have been on here since the dawn of the fourm anyhow.
    Actually, it's only about 2 years since everyone's rep was reset (and 2 years before that, there was no rep system at all), so there's no particular advantage in being here "forever". Trampy's rep score probably corresponds only to the last 15% or so of his posts.

What is far more accurate to say is that the only people with tonnes of rep points are the ones who've made tonnes of posts.

Of course it would be very wrong to draw conclusions about those who've made tonnes of posts and have gained very little rep for them...

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    I'd usually say no, not at all! But the fact that I have about 1300 points, and you have 64 does actually prove differently (in isolation from the rest of people's scores of course!)
    You know what Trampy I actually agree with you.

Having done some quick calculations you have averaged 1.12 rep points per day and I have averaged 2.06 rep points per day.

The Forum Legend

Actually, it's only about 2 years since everyone's rep was reset (and 2 years before that, there was no rep system at all)
    Hmmm. I don't think the rep system was around that long ago David.

I've been here just over 4 years now. And I reckon I'd been here over 2 before the rep system started. My recollection is that it was probably around the summer of 2004. But I'm probably wrong

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

How much you post should have nothing to do with it either. I do post alot but as far as im aware (and to Trampys dismay), there are no caps on how much you can post.

Think people should be able to see other people rep comments. Anyone agree with that?

Thread Information