Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Negative rep - is it useful?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Negative rep - is it useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    But if you're 'bad', you can be fined (if you want to stick with the money analogy).
    Yeah but if you had the ability to stop people stealing, you would.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    I also think it might put some people off from posting if they feel their comments will be taken out of line/context or not agreed with.
    That's an issue with any forum & nothing to do with repping.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

That's an issue with any forum & nothing to do with repping.
    of course it has.

People wouldn't worry about getting neg-repped if they can't get neg-repped.

Blog Entries

Do you worry about getting neg repped?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But if you're 'bad', you can be fined (if you want to stick with the money analogy).
    Which is why we have infractions - they're the "fines" in that analogy, as administered by duly-appointed authority figures (I know, I know, I'm trying to keep a straight face too).

But generally, you can't be fined by another member of the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    It's not the point of whether it worries you or not. It's like giving a child a water pistol, you can't trust them not to use it imappropriately.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Me? no. But I think others do. Some people take things the wrong way and if people don't have a sense of humor or can't be bothered to read a thread or post properly, then that is their problem, not mine.

I like to think that people appricate +rep and I do freely give it out for things I think worthy. have only ever given 2 neg reps and one of them was accidental.

Coming from three other forums before using this one, I'd never encountered this "repping" procedure as they dont use it.

We normally post up in the thread and add to the topic, but if we really disagree / don't understand a post someone made then we PM each other and sort it out in a friendly way.

Now I see this positive repping as a nice thing, as its always nice to get compliments. But negative repping as mentioned can be a little disheartening, especially if you really can't make out why someone has negative repped you.

Negative repping IMHO should only be reserved for when someone has been really bad - like if I came on the forum and directly insulted them or something.

At the moment both positive and negative repping is a little too easy to do - you can compliment someone or slag em off quickly with the touch of a button. So in the end the status of a "high reputation" doesn't really mean much.

Just my 2p worth.

Commercial Operator

Aside from the fact that it makes you an instant social pariah, destroys your credit rating for the rest of your life, ensures that no-one will ever dance with you again, creates a huge rift between oneself and one's spouse, alienates any kiddies you might have, causes you to be named and shamed on the Nine-o-Clock News, incites nasty parodies of you from Rory Bremner, Julian Cleary and Kermit, encourages every single pigeon for a six hundred mile radius to come and redecorate your car, causes immediate premature baldness, and a couple of other things too extreme to mention...

Why would anyone fear getting negrepped?
    Last edited by straycat; 14th-December-2006 at 05:58 PM.

I do. As a softie it cuts me to think I've hacked off someone enough to neg rep me.*

* Unless of course I've meant it, but in that case you'd receive that notification in a PM, not in a public post.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    Negative repping IMHO should only be reserved for when someone has been really bad - like if I came on the forum and directly insulted them or something.
    Under those circumstances, I'd expect a post to be reported, rather than a neg-rep to be applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    At the moment both positive and negative repping is a little too easy to do - you can compliment someone or slag em off quickly with the touch of a button. So in the end the status of a "high reputation" doesn't really mean much.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    So, I guess what I'm asking is: what purpose do neg-reps serve, that's not covered by either open debate / complaint, or by reporting a post?
    Simply put, they are an "out-of-band" communication that allows you to tell a poster that you disapprove of their actions, without derailing the actual thread. Because once you start arguing about "who misquoted who?", or "whether X made an aggressive post?", the chances are the original discussion will be lost in the backwash. Note that disapproval doesn't necessarily mean they are breaking forum rules, which is why one might neg rep someone without reporting them.

Like you, I've had a few negative reps. I think I've only had one I actually disagreed with. In general I've found them useful feedback.

Which is why we have infractions - they're the "fines" in that analogy, as administered by duly-appointed authority figures (I know, I know, I'm trying to keep a straight face too).
    And neg rep is another way of feeding back if you don't think someone is behaving well.

But generally, you can't be fined by another member of the public.
    So let me get this straight - all over the forum, there are tearful, fearful members quaking in their boots and about to slash their wrists because there's a possibility that someone might neg rep them? So they can handle positive rep but not negative? If you are going to ban negative rep, then by all means, ban the lot and let's continue on our happy, protected lives, living in loving harmony (FP puts fingers in ears and sings "la la la la la" loudly so she cannot hear anything that could upset her).

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

9/10 they are just usless comments by people who have had a bad day. I got one because of a 'bad joke', got a + rep for the same joke too?

Blog Entries

So let me get this straight - all over the forum, there are tearful, fearful members quaking in their boots and about to slash their wrists because there's a possibility that someone might neg rep them?
    Clearly they upset some people, otherwise there wouldn't be so many complaints about them all over the place. Which also kind of defeats the "behind-the-scenes" case David Franklin makes, to my mind, because people post "I've got a negative rep and I don't like it" topics.

So they can handle positive rep but not negative?
    Strangely, most people handle compliments better than insults. Funny that.

If you are going to ban negative rep, then by all means, ban the lot and let's continue on our happy, protected lives, living in loving harmony (FP puts fingers in ears and sings "la la la la la" loudly so she cannot hear anything that could upset her).
    BOO!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

BOO!

Get rid of neg repping I what I say. (not that that counts for anything!)

Clearly they upset some people, otherwise there wouldn't be so many complaints about them all over the place. Which also kind of defeats the "behind-the-scenes" case David Franklin makes, to my mind, because people post "I've got a negative rep and I don't like it" topics.
    Well, if "kind of defeats" means "makes a vague shambling swipe and misses", then maybe. Judging from the (rare) -ve reps I've given out, the vast majority of people won't make a public fuss about it. Even when they do, it is very unusual for it to go on for more than a few posts. Whereas doing it upfront, by definition, always involves making a public issue of things, and it frequently ends up completely taking over the thread (and taking it outside).

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Well, if "kind of defeats" means "makes a vague shambling swipe and misses", then maybe. Judging from the (rare) -ve reps I've given out, the vast majority of people won't make a public fuss about it. Even when they do, it is very unusual for it to go on for more than a few posts. Whereas doing it upfront, by definition, always involves making a public issue of things, and it frequently ends up completely taking over the thread (and taking it outside).
    Then they should use the PM function and that wont happen.

Anyway, some of the best threads are outside. :-p

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    It's annoying that anyone can neg rep you,
    Why are you annoyed, it should be funny. Thats the way it works, anyone can vote To give you a new perspective - Ive just neg repped you because your profile picture is "too cute"

It's like you are not allowed an opinion that conflicts with someone else's, unless you expect to get neg rep for it.
    Its not like that at all, unles you want it to be! And if you do get neg rep for an opinion it does tell you something about your opinion. Ive never had neg rep without receiving 10 times more positive rep. Except for "HarperRep"tm as he picks up on actual content rather than being reactionary as most people are

.DJ is right, it just causes bad feeling and I've recieved another infraction because I stuck up for myself when I got some rep from harper, which was just him being petty.
    You may think he's petty but he clearly ses the rep system differently and uses it quite effectively, you can either join in and use the rep system as YOU see fit - or ignore it all together. Unlike some sites, rep points here do not affect your posts or whether people can see your posts. It really is a system you can completely ignore if you dont like it.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Can we enable other people to see reps (I know it doesn;t happen at mo).

I think if it was to be used, should be more of an ebay feedback feture, where it should be used as last resort.

Thread Information