Thread: Jivetime "entertainment" weekender, Jan 2007, Bognor Regis

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jivetime "entertainment" weekender, Jan 2007, Bognor Regis

Looks like Franco's trying something new - I got an email today about a weekender at Bognor Regis, with Boney M, Gwen "Voice of Rose Royce" Dickey and Angelo (brother of Alvin) Starr performing. Interesting...

Lots of Soul and Motown, so I imagine Fletch will be in seventh heaven

It also sounds like it's a "shared" weekender with other (non-MJ-er) people?

And an interesting note on Gender control:
    You should be well advised that as this is the first Jive Weekend of this kind (i.e. with a venue wholly dedicated to entertainment), there will be no Gender Control on our part at booking stage, as it is impossible to predict when and who will be spending time in the jive venues or in the entertainment venue. As such, in this occasion, all tickets will be available on a first come first served basis only, irrespective of gender. If this policy is not acceptable to you, I would strongly advise you to cancel or not to book in the first place. The maximum 10% extra ladies policy will continue at all other weekenders organised by us.
    It's certainly new, so to Franco for experimenting with different ideas.

Comments?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Jivetime "entertainment" weekender, Jan 2007, Bognor Regis

Maybe a Forum organised Butlins trip should be made.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Looks like Franco's trying something new - I got an email today about a weekender at Bognor Regis, with Boney M, Gwen "Voice of Rose Royce" Dickey and Angelo (brother of Alvin) Starr performing. Interesting...
    Prepare to stand corrected sir.
    It's not a new one at all, Franco did this at Bognor around about 1994 before the numbers were big enough to do an "MJ only" weekender. He started doing Camber the following year.

And guess who was topping the bill - Boney M of course!

I had a brilliant weekend, much less dancing than you get at weekenders nowadays, but that didn't matter.

I'm not sure how I would cope sharing venues with smokers nowadays though

greg

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Think that Butlins has banned smoking now.

It also sounds like it's a "shared" weekender with other (non-MJ-er) people?
    I actually thought that the 'entertainment' was the shared bit, that it was something dancers could go in to and included in the cost, but not arranged specifically for the dancers. I could be wrong.

And I'm guessing DJ will be rushing to buy his ticket - there will be wristbands!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    And I'm guessing DJ will be rushing to buy his ticket - there will be wristbands!
    Actually, Franco got serious bonus points in my book by saying that he personally didn't like them - to Franco.

Actually, Franco got serious bonus points in my book by saying that he personally didn't like them - to Franco.
    He's still gonna make people wear them...

I don't like them either. But I can see the reason for them.*

*Though what I was most miffed about at Breeze was that the men got to wear the purple ones.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    Prepare to stand corrected sir.
    It's not a new one at all, Franco did this at Bognor around about 1994 before the numbers were big enough to do an "MJ only" weekender. He started doing Camber the following year.

And guess who was topping the bill - Boney M of course!

I had a brilliant weekend, much less dancing than you get at weekenders nowadays, but that didn't matter.

I'm not sure how I would cope sharing venues with smokers nowadays though

greg
    From what i understand or way i read it, jive dance halls will be for Jivetime but they can also go and see the bands, dance etc but outsiders cant go into Jive time events. Camber 1st was November 98.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

If that was the case then it would be a little unfair on those non-jivers who have paid money to go on holiday to find half the place closed to jivers.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    If that was the case then it would be a little unfair on those non-jivers who have paid money to go on holiday to find half the place closed to jivers.
    would seem that way, but the whole complex is fully open I understand, not like a ghost town, so they have more than enough to go to. I expect they do not expect all Jivetimes guests to turn up to see the bands as they love their jiving. Cant have non jiver doing hand bag dances on the jive floor with beer in the 2nd hand the opposite way could you!. So maybe not unfair as I know a party of 8 booked to go to the "other event that weekend" from here in Sussex, they werent going to the orginal date but now Jivetimes switch I heard they were asking Butlins if they could pop in and have a dance, but they said werent unless they had the correct "horrible" wrist bands. They werent over bothered missing out and thought it would exiting. Im sure the event will have a huge buzz about the place, it will be nice to have the whole complex open, last time (only) that happened was the orginal weekender there in 1997!! Then you could access the night clubs after 12 midnight and have a BOP, real sweaty affair, smokey too, beer everywhere and BOOM BOOM music, I think it was 18-30 reunion weekender.
    Now non smoking venues and fun bands to see while one has a break from dancing, No doubt its going have a huge uptake in interest, such a shame Southport & Butlins are back to back weekends but what a great time to have for any one going to both, 2 top events.

Thread Information