Thread: Have yourself a (more) ethical little Christmas...

Have yourself a (more) ethical little Christmas...

Now it's December, I'll join in with the festive fun. I've seen from other charity-related threads how generous people on here can be. So I thought there might be some interest in "ethical gifts".

Ethical doesn't have to be boring or rubbish. For instance, you could buy a yak. Yaks are inherently comical IMO, and not boring or rubbish at all – in fact, they are quite useful. Although maybe only if you live in Tibet.

If you are going for the ethical option, please be considerate by buying something that you believe the recipient will like - quite fundamental to the whole concept of "gift" really. In English anyway - Gift means poison in German. Please don't buy poison, it might offend.

In no particular order, some sources of charity gifts (disclaimer: I am not professionally or personally associated with any of the charities listed below). Other suggestions welcomed of course :

your local charity shop (hey, that's recycling too, doubly ethical)

www.giftsinaction.org.uk

www.oxfamunwrapped.com

www.tearcraft.org/cgi-bin/tcraft

www.traidcraftshop.co.uk/

http://savethechildren.sandbag.uk.com

www.charitygifts.com/

www.sendacowgifts.org.uk

www.goodgifts.org/goodgifts/

Finally, for people who may be in London that weekend, there is a Fair Trade Fair - Friday 8, Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 December at Westminster Central Hall, Parliament Square (next door to the Abbey).

£3 at the door; £1 concessions, children free.

65 stalls with items from all over the world (copy/pasted):
    Christmas cards from the UK
    Cushion covers from the Holy land
    Dresses from Nepal
    Hand made paper from India
    Divine Chocolate from Ghana
    Fair trade coffee
    Baskets from Bangladesh
    Toys from Zimbabwe
    Books from Africa
    Peruvian knitwear
    Tibetan incense
    and thousands of other items

I know there's been some criticism in the press of charities that "Send an animal" - see here for explanation. The reality is that your £100 quid (or whatever) for a yak probably actually includes "support costs" for that yak - i.e. ensuring that the recipient family is somewhere which has sufficient water and forage, etc. See here for some debunking. The charities concerned are very naughty for not making this clear, and have been duly smacked on the wrists. "Send a yak" sounds a lot more sexy than "Buy a small share in a yak and contribute towards its transport, clean water supply and accommodation in the recipient community". It doesn't mean that they're not doing good work though - perhaps just underestimated public capacity to understand. Or maybe not...

Oh, by the way. It's Save the Children that sell yaks. I would like a yak, but they are apparently "out of stock" (hopefully marginally more amusing than saying they have sufficient yaks for the moment thank you, please don't send any more).
    Last edited by LMC; 1st-December-2006 at 03:15 PM.

Re: Have yourself a (more) ethical little Christmas...

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    I know there's been some criticism in the press of charities that "Send an animal" - see here for explanation. The reality is that your £100 quid (or whatever) for a yak probably actually includes "support costs" for that yak - i.e. ensuring that the recipient family is somewhere which has sufficient water and forage, etc. See <A href="http://[URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/ethicalbusiness/story/0,,1819340,00.html" target=_blank>here for some debunking. The charities concerned are very naughty for not making this clear, and have been duly smacked on the wrists. "Send a yak" sounds a lot more sexy than "Buy a small share in a yak and contribute towards its transport, clean water supply and accommodation in the recipient community". It doesn't mean that they're not doing good work though - perhaps just underestimated public capacity to understand. [SIZE=1]Or maybe not...[/SIZE]
    I was talking to someone last weekend who was thinking of buying a goat for someone. But he did know that its a gift to a project to spent as required, rather than simply buying a specific animal.

I'd love to sponsor a loo!

Hi Aleks

I believe they could do with new loo's in Kerala,India !!!!

Here's to a Fair Christmas to all

x

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    Gift means poison in German. Please don't buy poison, it might offend.
    And in Norwegian, too. Oh, and the same word also means 'married'.....

Anyhoo, if you want to give a charitable gift this year, just buy some of my work, and help support a poor starving artist - moi!

If you are interested in supporting UK wildlife with a virtual gift check out the RSPB range of options here.

They clearly state that the money is going to the UK conservation work - the 'gift' really is showing what can be done with the money and what impact that gift can have - this is also explained to the person recieving the gift.

Thread Information