Thread: Blues based Freestyles

Blues based Freestyles

Elsewhere there has been a number of comments on the 'Utopia' concept, a regular event/club focused on blues music. I must admit that though I liked the idea I voiced doubt that it would work in areas ourside London, especially in my home patch. After tonight's freestyle I may have to change my mind.

For the CCatz freestyle we'd managed to get a 30 minutes extension, and decided to make that section a blues session. To be honest, I really wasn't sure it would work ... but I couldn't have been more wrong. Probably got the best reposne of the night, with the majority of dancers being prepared to dance to new tracks that were a little challenging Now thinking of making it a regular slot. Was wondering if other clubs had tried a blues session as part of their freestyles and what had been the response.

Re: Blues based Freestyles

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    ............. Was wondering if other clubs had tried a blues session as part of their freestyles and what had been the response.
    Personally I am not so keen on 'Blues dancing' however, the music I have heard Rocky & Silver Fox play is NOT specifically for blues dancing, more for slower style MJ, inspirational with lots of breaks etc., for playtime The type of stuff the great DJ's play at Southport and other 'Swing & Blues' rooms. It could even attract some lindy dancers And the latin & tango touch to the music makes it sound even more exciting.

IMO After an evening of boppin style MJ music - I don't think dancers would be in the mood to finish with a 'blues' session

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Well I went to Knutsford last night and John Brett played mainly blues. latin, slower tunes, and for 'up north' more challenging music just the regular stuff 'down south' and it went down Fab I didn't hear one grumble all night (unlike Friday at Ealing)

It was nice to see that the guy's I regally dance with very comfortable with putting musicality into there dance experimenting, trying something new, this is hard when dancing to you normal disco stuff.

It worked for me Fab night Keith and Janey and Jon Brett

Was wondering if other clubs had tried a blues session as part of their freestyles and what had been the response.
    Ceroc Midlands have a regular friday venue at Halesowen. On the last friday of each month it's extended to finish at 12:45. Only been once, but I noticed that the last hour or so was slower stuff. The folks who stayed seemed to like it, though folks did drift away as the night went on. Most other venues I go to mix in slower tracks with the rest of the evening's music.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    John Brett played mainly blues. latin, slower tunes, and for 'up north' more challenging music just the regular stuff 'down south'
    Hmmm ... well there are a few places 'up north' where this style have music has been played for a fair while. One of the advantages of serving a season with Jango (happy days, sorely missed) it meant that we had access to a different style of music that we brought back to Chester and CoolCatz. We then had the opportuntity to develop our own style based on the NuTango and Jazz style tracks.

So ... we DO have this type of music in the N West and DJs who are competent playing it. We also have an increasing number of dancers who want and can dance to this ..... may the feeling grow.

Elsewhere there has been a number of comments on the 'Utopia' concept, a regular event/club focused on blues music. I must admit that though I liked the idea I voiced doubt that it would work in areas ourside London [...]
    I can think of three (usually) monthly events in Scotland which have either a second room, or are entirely blues/latin/chilled music.

Dance Demon's Red Hot & Blue in Edinburgh; the monthly Glasgow party (has a latin/blues room); and Ceroc Scotland's "Smooth Grooves" which is normally held monthly in Stirling with Tiggerbabe DJing after one of Franck's "Focus On..." workshops...

There are other less regular events which also fit the mould to some extent...

They all seem to "work".
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    There are other less regular events which also fit the mould to some extent...
    Stirling Christmas Party on the 23rd has 2 DJs. Tiggerbabe downstairs in the main hall, and me upstairs in the blues room.

There's also the Sunday night after each of the (four yearly) Beach Ballroom nights, which is another blues & chilled out set.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Stirling Christmas Party on the 23rd has 2 DJs. Tiggerbabe downstairs in the main hall, and me upstairs in the blues room.

There's also the Sunday night after each of the (four yearly) Beach Ballroom nights, which is another blues & chilled out set.
    Yup, the Stirling parties and the Beach Ballroom Sundays were the "less regular" events I was thinking about.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

IMO After an evening of boppin style MJ music - I don't think dancers would be in the mood to finish with a 'blues' session
    This certainly seems to be the case with the jive freestyles I'm involved with.
    Although it can vary from event to event the 'local crowd' are just not keen on slower/bluesy/ challenging music and some are very quick to voice their disapproval if I stray from their favourite genres!

It's very frustrating to be so limited to certain styles/genres of music but hopefully it may change as more dancers attend weekenders?

Consider your good fortune Gus!

One of our weekly classes often includes a variety of swing and a few blues tracks into the freestyle, but there is no weekly Blues freestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Andy
    Although it can vary from event to event the 'local crowd' are just not keen on slower/bluesy/ challenging music
    Blues is not taught at weekly classes and I have lost count of the number of dancers I have heard say "I don't know how to Blues." People avoid these kinds of dances because the ability to express music and dance to slower tracks is not taught (although Lisa covered fluidity and some musical expression in her Beginners Plus workshop) and is not easy to 'pick up as you go along'.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    That's a shame, because on a freestyle night, I usually start off in a fairly upbeat mood, and finish off with more of a blues/latin/r&b feel.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    That's a shame, because on a freestyle night, I usually start off in a fairly upbeat mood, and finish off with more of a blues/latin/r&b feel.

Mind you - to be honest, as far as I'm concerned, anytime is a good time for blues...

Commercial Operator

Thanks Fletch,
    I think we had the slowest dance of the night, & it was Fab
    We tend to play all the slower type of music, from the Nu Tango, slow Swing to Rumba, We only play 'actual' Blues for the latter part of the night, due to the speed, as this tends to really slow things down.
    I think most people think of blues, when it's really just a slower type of track. I feel these tunes work very well & play a huge part of our Wednesday nights, besides the Freestyle nights, as it tests the dancers, creates a more interesting dance & allows the dancers to express themselves as much as they wish.
    I must also give Jon Brett a huge thank you, not only for travelling all the way and playing his top tunes, but also for keeping me up till 5am & then swapping lots of music, which we will obviously be playing this Wednesday.
    Don't you just love the dance world

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Thanks Fletch,
    I think we had the slowest dance of the night, & it was Fab

I think most people think of blues, when it's really just a slower type of track.

And you said you wouldn't be scary

Your right, if its slow and sexy its blues to me

Well what ever it was it was FAB, brill night as allways

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Andy View Post
    Consider your good fortune Gus!
    Maybe a bit more than good luck. Through Blitz Chester I taught about 4 Blues workshops over the last 12 months and incorporated Blues style dancing in a number of Chester's classes. That, combined with blues music featuring in Chester's playlist (thanks to resident DJ Neil), means we have a fledgling Blues cadre who are keen for more of the same .... so I hope

Commercial Operator

Maybe a bit more than good luck. etc.
    Fair play to you.

We ( meaning the MJ teacher I DJ for and myself) did run 'Blues' evenings with class and freestyle a couple of years ago but after the initial novelty factor wore off and the number of ladies willing to subject themselves to the UCP nature of the dancestyle dropped off (dramatically!) the numbers weren't there to make it commercially viable to continue.

A shame but c'est la vie.

Commercial Operator

Yep I know what you mean, I think that's why the slower music works, rather than up, very close & personal full on blues, eg 'You Know I'm No Good' Amy Winehouse or Charmed Life etc, leaving the true blues, other than 3 or 4 tracks, for the weekenders with people who know it's just a great way to end the night & start the day!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Andy View Post
    Fair play to you.

We ( meaning the MJ teacher I DJ for and myself) did run 'Blues' evenings with class and freestyle a couple of years ago but after the initial novelty factor wore off and the number of ladies willing to subject themselves to the UCP nature of the dancestyle dropped off (dramatically!) the numbers weren't there to make it commercially viable to continue.

A shame but c'est la vie.

Thread Information