<li><a href="#whattopost">What should I post?</a></li>
    <li><a href="#wheretopost">Where should I post?</a></li>
    <li><a href="#whyrespond">Why don't people respond to my thread?</a></li>
    <li><a href="#wherecanifind">Where can I find...?</a></li>
    </ul>

<hr>
    <a name="whypost"></a>
    <b>Why should I post?</b>
    There are people here of every level, from novice to multiple competition winner, but all dancers - there is a vast depth of knowledge and experience. They were all beginners once, and they are always eager to help with advice and explanations.

<p>With the vast range of people from every walk of life, you will also find discussion on philosophy, books, ethics, hobbies, holidays, gardening... you may find you not only share dancing, but other interests with fellow <i>forumites</i>.

<p>Don't feel shy about posting; no-one should criticise or extract the urine... at least, not until they get to know you

<hr>
    <a name="whentopost"></a>
    <b>When should I post?</b>
    Threads are a form of conversation, and as with normal conversation, deviating from the main title of the thread is common. <i>Moderators</i> try and keep on top of it by splitting threads when they deviate from the title too much. Generally it is considered good <i>netiquette</i> to only post a reply in a thread if...
    <ul>
    <li>you have something constructive to add to a thread</li>
    <li>you strongly agree with something said</li>
    <li>you disagree with something (if so, explain what you disagree with and why - a post just saying "no that's wrong" is not much use without a reason)</li>
    </ul>

<hr>
    <a name="whennottopost"></a>
    <b>When should I not post?</b>
    There are a lot of threads here, and most common topics have been discussed in detail before - some come round every couple of months, others raise their heads when new members discover old posts they find interesting.

If you think on a question, it is perhaps worth <a href="http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/search.php?">searching the forum</a> for a similar post before posting: you can always add on to the end of an existing thread if you have questions or want to bring the thread up to the top of the list.

<p>Please don't post personal details like phone numbers or home addresses - there are some bad people out there: Think on this as a magazine with a global publication - anything you post could be read by anyone anywhere.

<p><b>A note of warning:</b> the forum has an area (“Outside”) where you get sent if your posts start heading towards personal attacks, abuse or slander/libel). If your post was considered too abusive, it will be removed from the forum. Please consider twice before actually naming anyone or throwing insults about.

<hr>
    <a name="whattopost"></a>
    <b>What to post?</b>
    Anything.
    <br>OK, so this <u>is</u> a dance forum, but you don't need to limit yourself to dance related topics; there is a thriving area of non-dance topics (that is getting bigger than the dance side of things )

<p>To repeat a point made above - abusive posts will not be tolerated, neither will direct marketing, or advertising.

<p>When writing posts, it may be useful to follow a couple of guidelines:
    <ul>
    <li> <u>Keep it short. </u>
    <br>If you have to post a lot of information, break it down into bite-size, digestible chunks.</li>
    <li> <u>Not that short.</u>
    <br>Don't be monosyllabic - if you agree/disagree, say to which bits and why. If posting questions, perhaps give a bit more detail about the context it should be taken in. If you agree/disagree but have nothing really to add to the post, consider using the <i>rep</i> system instead of posting.</li>
    <li> <u>Avoid personal references.</u>
    <br>Unless you are directly responding or quoting someone, try not to post hearsay or gossip - it is likely that the person involved will hear about it, if not read it themselves.</li>
    <li> <u>Try to keep it on-topic.</u>
    <br>If something said in one post sparks a question or idea not relevant to the current discussion, it's better to create a new thread to discuss it: It keeps things tidy and you may attract folk to read it that were not involved on the source thread.</li>
    <li> <u>Don't try sarcasm or dry witted humour.</u>
    <br>At least until you are known on the forum. Or if you do, please point it out - not everyone will share your sense of humour.</li>
    </ul>

<hr>
    <a name="wheretopost"></a>
    <b>Where should I post?</b>
    The forum is divided into four main areas:

<ul>
    <li><b>Ceroc / dance technical discussions</b> - Posts that are to do with the dance we dance or music we dance to
    <li> <b>Discussion Lounge</b> - Social posts and discussion; the 'lounge' area that everything non-dance is discussed, including an "Outside" area where all the <b>bad</b> posters go, and an “Upstairs” area where all the, ahem, “bad” posters go
    <li> <b>Fun & games</b> - Posts that will waste time and provide some distraction.
    <li> <b>Testing testing</b> - Posts about the forum itself, a little test area to try out posting and some features.
    </ul>

Each of these is sub-divided, but if you get the general idea of <u>what</u> you want to post, it should fall into one of the above areas. If you post in completely the wrong area, <i>PM</i> a <i>moderator</i> and ask them to move it.

<hr>
    <a name="whyrespond"></a>
    <b>Why don't people respond to my thread?</b>
    It can be disheartening: you think of a great idea for a discussion, you <i>post</i> a thread... then no-one responds to it, and your idea slowly sinks into obscurity. Don't worry about it - it's not a personal insult or intentional disrespect. Here are some tips that may help:

<ul>
    <li>Put your thread in the right area (see <a href="#wheretopost">Where should I post?</a>)
    <li>Make the title relevant, put a summary of the main idea in the post, and use a <i>smilie</i> to categorise the post
    <li>At the start of the text, give the post a context (for example, <i>"this post was prompted by...", "I had this happen to me and...", "Someone mentioned in another thread...", etc</i>)
    <li>Phrase your post in the form of a question, but don't answer it fully (yet)
    <li>Don't make the question or answer too complex; <u>most</u> folk will only be able to put together a sentence or two response - not a whole thesis.
    <li>Don't try and go into too much detail; if curious, people will ask and it will stimulate discussion.
    <li>Don't respond to every post in your thread within seconds of people posting; give others a chance to comment and see where it leads. You may find that you kill you own thread by saying all there is to say in a short period of time.
    <li>Don't check on your thread every five minutes; a watched thread never rises. Sometimes people would like to respond, but don't have the time to create a decent answer - by the time they do, the window is lost and the post has sunk.
    </ul>

<hr>
    <a name="wherecanifind"></a>
    <b>Where can I find...</b>

<i>... a specific post</i>: use the <a href="http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/search.php?">Search</a> tool or just <i>browse</i>. If you are looking for a specific post you made yourself, there is an option in the <i>userCP</i> to look through them.

<p><u>Tip:</u> if you click (and hold) on the "New Posts" part of the tool-bar, then drag your mouse pointer onto the desktop and release the button - you create a desktop shortcut.

<p>If you later double-click on that shortcut you'll open a browser window (if there isn't one open) and automatically get taken to a page of all the new messages since the last time you logged on.{Tip courtesy of El Salsero Gringo}

<i>... information about a user</i>: Either through the <a href="http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/memberlist.php?">Members list</a> or by clicking on the user's <i>avatar</i> in a post.

<i>... my rep/my PMs</i>: in the <a href="http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/usercp.php?">User Control Panel. </a>

<i>... how to register</i>: there is a link on your control panel to <a href="http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/subscriptions.php?">Subscriptions.</a>

<i>... who's on-line</i>: The <a href="http://www.cerocscotland/forum">title page</a> has a list at the top, but paid-up members have a special link through the "Quick links" button that tells them what everyone on-line is doing as well.

<i>... how to change it from orange</i>: This option is only available to <i>subscribed</i> members of the forum. It's in your user control panel, or at the bottom of every thread.

<hr>
    Last edited by David Bailey; 5th-December-2006 at 02:14 PM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Forum FAQ documentation: All about posting

And another one - again, comments and suggestions welcome.

Glitter Queen

I think a short bit about 'replying' to other posters would be helpful here. For example...

It may be useful to add that when posting replies it is better to 'selectively' quote the relavent piece from a previous post that you're replying to and not to just copy the whole post (especially if it's a very long post ) - there's little point in reading the whole thing twice and having to scroll through the whole thing wastes time and space.

Also, maybe some hints on multiple quotes (now that the feature is available) would also be beneficial?

S.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    It may be useful to add that when posting replies it is better to 'selectively' quote the relavent piece from a previous post that you're replying to and not to just copy the whole post (especially if it's a very long post ) - there's little point in reading the whole thing twice and having to scroll through the whole thing wastes time and space.
    Not to mention bandwidth, which Franck has to pay for (at least, that's how I understand it! ).

Just to clarify what is allowed and not allowed in terms of libel and slander:-

If I were to post "The Tramp ate all the pie's" for example, I understand that that could potentially be seen as libellous and slanderous.

If I were to post "The Tramp ate all the pie's" and also posted photographic evidence of the claim as proof, would that then be ok?

Thanks in advance,

Will

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    If I were to post "The Tramp ate all the pie's" and also posted photographic evidence of the claim as proof, would that then be ok?
    No, pies is plural and does not need an apostrophe, "pie's" begs the question "What did The Tramp eat, that belonged to the pie?"
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

I think a short bit about 'replying' to other posters would be helpful here. For example...

Also, maybe some hints on multiple quotes (now that the feature is available) would also be beneficial?

S.
    I think that's all in another bit of the FAQ (I certainly remember writing it)

the multiple quotes should definetly be ammended to include the new feature.

Not sure that this splitting is a good thing - need a link on each one to the other ones. "can't find what you're looking for? try the other FAQs..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Not sure that this splitting is a good thing - need a link on each one to the other ones. "can't find what you're looking for? try the other FAQs..."
    There'll be a single "links to FAQ documents" file, probably from a "Help" menu option on the top-bar, to make navigation easy.

As I said, these threads are mainly for use when we're creating and reviewing the documents, not when they get finalised.

Without wanting to be excessively snarky about the forum search engine, I think a comment about the useless^h^h^h^hfullness of the forum search engine, and an explanation of how to use Google to search for particular threads might be in order.

[Aside: Does anyone know why the forum search is so broken? I see other forums that look very similar (and so I assume they are running vBulletin) where the search seems to work OK. A good example is www.avforums.com - it's an insanely busy forum, and so has "search this subforum" and even "search this thread" options, and they all seem to work...]

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    useless^h^h^h^hfullness
    *performs Heimlich maneover*

HTH

(And yes, I agree...it's...um...less than useful.)

There are three major problems with the forum search engine as I see it, each of which compound the others...
    1. It doesn't index words of three letters or less.
    2. If your search includes a word of three letters or less you always get no results.
    3. The user interface for it is abysmal.

Perhaps AVforums have their search system tweaked in ways that make it work better.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    There are three major problems with the forum search engine as I see it, each of which compound the others...
    1. It doesn't index words of three letters or less.
    2. If your search includes a word of three letters or less you always get no results.
    3. The user interface for it is abysmal.

Perhaps AVforums have their search system tweaked in ways that make it work better.
    I'm posting from a borrowed laptop right now and so can't be bothered to do all the experiments again, but I find it is much more fundamentally broken than that. (e.g. I've had times where there's a currently active thread saying something like "multiple spinning is cool", but if you do a search for "spinning" you are told no entries could be found ).

I think at that time the forum had just been moved and the serch engine hadn't been re-indexed/re-compile/whatever.

It works as well just now as it ever did... not that that's any great thing.

Funnily enough, the search engine doesn't seem to be working very well at the moment – perhaps it's in the middle of a re-index...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Funnily enough, the search engine doesn't seem to be working very well at the moment – perhaps it's in the middle of a re-index...
    Yeah, it's a 5-year re-indexing exercise.

Blog Entries

These are definitely useful suggestions, thanks.

There's something in the "How Do I...?" section of the FAQ about not overdoing the quoting, and I've now added a section in there to describe multiple quote usage.

Thread Information