Thread: Forum FAQ documentation: About the Ceroc Scotland Forum

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Forum FAQ documentation: About the Ceroc Scotland Forum

<h2>About the Ceroc Scotland Forum</h2>
    <ul>
    <li><a href="#whatis">What is the forum?</a>
    <li><a href="#scotland">Do I have to be Scottish or Dance in Scotland to contribute?</a>
    <li><a href="#whoarethey">Who contributes to the forum?</a>
    <li><a href="#silver">Who are Silver Members?</a>
    <li><a href="#whorunsit">Who runs the forum?</a>
    </ul>

<hr>
    <a name="whatis"></a><b>What is the forum?</b>
    The Forum is a discussion area where people who dance Modern Jive (Ceroc, Leroc, etc.) can discuss the dance we love, other dances, and just about every other topic you can imagine.

<p>It has been compared to a ‘local pub’ where several tables of topics are discussed and people move freely between each of them, joining in here & there, or just listening in to the conversation. It has the same welcoming ethics (<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette#Forum_etiquette">netiquette</a>), and anyone deliberately spilling pints or causing trouble can be ejected from the premises by our publican, Franck.

<p>You will find regulars propping up the bar and moderating barmaids trying to keep order. The music choice on the jukebox is fantastic, but there will always be people complain about over-played tracks and the questionable taste of the record buying public.

<p>Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on what you post) there is a record of everything said in here; every topic of conversation discussed, every question asked, every response given, every view point expressed, every piece of advice dispensed and every idea proposed. It’s all in the <a href="http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/archive/index.php/">archives</a> to read, re-read and perhaps resurrect again. You can spend days looking over past topics.

<p>One warning to everyone new here: this forum can be as addictive as the dance that spawned it.

<hr>
    <a name="scotland"></a><b>Do I have to be Scottish or Dance in Scotland to contribute?</b>
    The forum happens to be "CerocScotland" because Franck (the owner of the main <a href=http://www.cerocscotland.com>Ceroc franchise in Scotland</a>) started it. It's here for the community of dancers to join in and share their wealth of knowledge and experience. Some of it is even related to dance! There are "forumites" from all across the globe who meet here to discuss and debate.

<p>Please pull up a keyboard and join us.

<hr>
    <a name="whoarethey"></a><b>Who contributes to the forum?</b>
    This forum is populated by thousands of people who all share the same passion: Dancing. Specifically dancing Ceroc or Modern Jive.
    <p>Since it's our passion, there are quite a high proportion of teachers, taxi-dancers, organisers, competitors and such like. But everyone started with struggling to dance, move and listen to the music all at the same time. Your opinion is just as valid as theirs and you have just as much a right to express it.

<p>To find out about specific members, either click on the member's name, or click on them in the <a href=http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/memberlist.php?>Member's list</a> link.

<p>You will also find a few "Introduction" topics (for example, "<a href=http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798>By Way of Introduction</a>" and "<a href=http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1417>The Road to Ceroc</a>") where people have posted more background to themselves, their likes and dislikes, etc. Some of it makes for ... interesting... reading.

<hr>
    <a name="silver"></a><b>Who are Silver Members?</b>
    Basic membership is free, but you can choose to pay a small annual fee to upgrade to Silver membership - this fee goes towards the cost of running the forum, web hosting fees and so on.

<p>Silver membership have a number of additional benefits, and can:
    <ul>
    <li>View what everyone is up to on the "Who's online" page
    <li>Be invisible on the Forum
    <li>Filter new posts to avoid certain areas (e.g. Fun & Games, Chit Chat, Geek corner, etc...) when searching new posts
    <li>Send attachments in Private Messages
    <li>Access the "Chat room"
    <li>Choose a custom avatar
    <li>Have a Signature
    <li>Store up to 4,000 Private messages
    </ul>
    <hr>
    <a name="whorunsit"></a><b>Who runs the forum?</b>
    The forum is owned and administered by <a href=http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/member.php?u=1>Franck</a>. In the "bar discussion" analogy, Franck is the publican. Franck can do <b>anything</b>

<p>There are a number of helpers, who generally try to ensure things don't get too rowdy - these are the <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moderator_%28communications%29>moderators</a>. Moderators can do a lot of functions such as deleting posts, moving threads, and so on.

<p>Think of moderators as the friendly barmaids - admittedly it's a stretch to think of some of them that way, but hopefully you get the impression.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 5th-December-2006 at 03:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Forum FAQ documentation: About the Ceroc Scotland Forum

This is the intro part - again, praise Gadget and blame me.

Comments?

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Forum FAQ documentation:

Couple of general thoughts which applies to all the FAQs (I just picked this one to post on):
    * It may be a vBulletin thing but is there any way of making these threads (or maybe a meta FAQ pointing to these individual threads) appear when you click on FAQ in the menu bar?
    * The original FAQ was a "sticky" thread - while these aren't. Are you going to make the new ones Sticky, or maybe a meta thread pointing to them? (and maybe unstick the original if it's superseded)?
    Love dance, will travel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    * It may be a vBulletin thing but is there any way of making these threads (or maybe a meta FAQ pointing to these individual threads) appear when you click on FAQ in the menu bar?
    That's what I'd like to do, yes - probably replacing the current FAQ there, which isn't very helpful. Someone clever will be needed to actually implement this, I'm just the words guy.

* The original FAQ was a "sticky" thread - while these aren't. Are you going to make the new ones Sticky, or maybe a meta thread pointing to them? (and maybe unstick the original if it's superseded)?
    Actually, if we can get these done as documents from the top-bar, I'll probably just let this and the other FAQ threads descend naturally into obscurity over time.

These threads are mechanisms allowing you to review and comment on the information, they're not intended to be the main source of that information forever. One key area of concern with the other FAQ was that not many people knew where it was or could access it, so hopefully this will be fixed when we put these ones up.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    Thinking more about this, and arguing against myself : the current FAQ is the only way to access some techie info which (while not being 'frequently asked' for) is rather useful. Stuff like the list of vbcode tags for instance.

If it wasn't available via the FAQ, where would it go? Hmm.
    Love dance, will travel

Blog Entries

Anyone geeky enough to care would know how to find out. And I speak as a man who usually types all my smilies.

A couple more intro links like the "post a picture" and perhaps a reference to the photo gallery somewhere

Thinking more about this, and arguing against myself : the current FAQ is the only way to access some techie info which (while not being 'frequently asked' for) is rather useful. Stuff like the list of vbcode tags for instance.

I believe that in the forum's FAQ system it's easy to add our new faq documents to the existing ones.

I would be unhappy to see the vbulletin faqs disappear.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I believe that in the forum's FAQ system it's easy to add our new faq documents to the existing ones.

I would be unhappy to see the vbulletin faqs disappear.
    OK, OK.
    Geek.

Thread Information