Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forum Rules

Re: Forum Rules

User names will be reviewed on an ad-hoc basis if a problem is perceived with allowances made for long-term users.
    So do I have to change username on account of not actually being blue and having the voice of Robin Williams? :p

I read and agreed to the new forum rules. I don't see any real problem with them, as long as the Moderators don't go O.T.T. all of a sudden.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    I don't see anything in the rules that would stop banter and as Lory said, moderators and myself will be using our judgement.
    Any established 'Character' worried about the forum rules would only have to worry if they were planning to change their behaviour significantly. Nothing is new, the only difference is the rules are there for all to see. So if I hadn't implemented the forum rules today, those posters would still have received infractions but might not have been sure why.
    I understand that, but it just feels like 'Big Brother is watching you' now it has been put into an agreement that you need to tick before you can post.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I predict alot of 'Characters' disappearing from this forum now. I already know of 3 that have told me they are leaving.
    I dunno if you've noticed but "Characters" have been leaving the forum for a while now.

Despite what people may say or think, we're actually trying to improve the general atmosphere of the forum to make it more welcoming, to encourage some of the silent majority of posters who might otherwise be intimidated. So hopefully new "Characters" will emerge, or others will return.

It seems a shame as it has been so much fun for me on here and to be honest without all the banter I don't think i'd find it so entertaining. Some of us only come on for that reason and not to talk about the serious issues. Only time will tell i guess, as its 'The Great One's' Forum it's up to him how it is run.
    No one, and I mean no one, wants to stop banter. No, not even on the "learning Tango" thread.

What? Really, where on Earth did you read a "we don't allow banter" clause? I'd love to know - if it's there, I for one want it removed. In fact, if it were up to me, I'd make banter mandatory.

But moderation is what moderators do - it's a perfectly normal and standard role in most forums. In fact, here's a definition of a forum moderator. I'd recommend people read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Meh! You expect me to believe that, after DavidJames' post above?
    All the moderators are now frantically wondering which one other moderator has a sense of humour.

Well except me, I know I don't. There's some comfort in certainty.

Commercial Operator

poking head briefly over the parapit to brave posting - as I have to admit that since this heavy moderation policy, I don't feel at all comfortable or welcome here anymore...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. On second thoughts, I'm not glad anybody feels like this

I used to love posting on here. I've had a few ups and downs but I've also had a lot of laughs. Now it feels like the accountants have taken over the company

If this policy continues as it is the Forum will be populated by whingers and morons - because you will receive infractions if you criticise them

It is my prediction that the heavy-handed moderation which disallows criticism will result in a luvved-up Forum where nothing is said of any substance and where no debate happens in case some moderator might think you're being critical of somebody new. This is illustrated by a message I received from a formerly regular contributor to the Forum: here's a small part of it

"I got fed up of trying to either find any advice on dancing of any quality amongst the quippy one liners and luvvy "it was great to dance with you too" stuff or trying to talk about technique in dance without someone jumping up and down telling me that dancing was all about fun. "

I can't post any of the rest because it was criticising woodface and he's the moderators new favourite pet while I'm their latest whipping boy.

I think that one of the things that comes with experience is to know your place. And the new changes to the forum and recent actions and postings by David James are making me feel more and more strongly that this is not it.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    It is my prediction that the heavy-handed moderation which disallows criticism will result in a luvved-up Forum where nothing is said of any substance and where no debate happens in case some moderator might think you're being critical of somebody new. This is illustrated by a message I received from a formerly regular contributor to the Forum: here's a small part of it
    "I got fed up of trying to either find any advice on dancing of any quality amongst the quippy one liners and luvvy "it was great to dance with you too" stuff or trying to talk about technique in dance without someone jumping up and down telling me that dancing was all about fun. "
    It sounds to me, as though your friend is a perfect candidate for someone who's going to benefit from us trying to keep threads on topic and keeping the friendly banter, luvvyism and social chit-chat apart from the technical stuff.

Our aim is to have a Forum where, if you want to talk technique, you can, freely, without someone telling you, your being boring!

And if you want to Chat about having sex on the balcony at Ashtons, that's fine too, just don't post in the tech thread!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

There is a huge problem with the forum rules that I feel has been overlooked.

Blue on Orange? What were you thinking?

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    There is a huge problem with the forum rules that I feel has been overlooked.

Switch to a decent colour scheme, and it doesn't look anything like that!!

Juju

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Still better than "Ceroc Orange" and black. Trinny and Susannah were so right.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    It sounds to me, as though your friend is a perfect candidate for someone who's going to benefit from us trying to keep threads on topic and keeping the friendly banter, luvvyism and social chit-chat apart from the technical stuff.

Our aim is to have a Forum where, if you want to talk technique, you can, freely, without someone telling you, your being boring!
    Unfortunately, you can't tell someone when they're talking bad technique. And that is what is bugging me most. This is a DANCE forum. In Scotland Ceroc is actually danced and that dance is of a high quality. I would expect that low quality dance advice on the Scottish Ceroc Forum would be deleted. But no, criticise bad dance advice and you get infracted.

Registered User Daydreaming Diva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    In response to various gripes,
    The way I see it...

This is Franck's forum. He's devoted a whole lot of time, effort and resources into making this forum what it is. And he's kindly extended us the privilege of using this forum.

In a nutshell,
    Franck's forum.
    Franck's rules.
    And a huge Thank You to Franck for all his efforts.
    At the risk of sounding like a goodie, goodie I must say that I totally agree with everything in this post.

I've just read the rules document, and am quite surprised that anyone could take exception to anything in them. They seem quite clear and more than fair to me. Indeed, they just seem to reflect common decency and politeness. But, even if there were the odd unpalatable one, I would still agree that if that is what Franck wants, then its up to him.

On the positive side, there is now a document which defines best practice - there could however, be a down side for those who worry that they are not masters of linguistics as they may be put off posting for fear that their point may be misconstrued as offensive, or their words may inadvertantly break some rule or other. I don't think I'm putting this very well ..... which is the point I'm trying to make.

I'd just like to add that for ME the forum has brought a new dimension to dancing as a social activity. As a lady who mostly goes to dances and weekenders on her own, it has made me feel far less alone. So thank you Franck. A highlight of my year was the trip that Tessa and I made to Scotland which would never have happened had it not been for YOUR Forum. (Trust I didn't stray from the point )

I predict alot of 'Characters' disappearing from this forum now. I already know of 3 that have told me they are leaving.
    Not much of 'characters' if they can't even post and say goodbye.

There are others who have left because they didn't like the way things were on the forum. At times they've been mocked for doing that and accused of going off in a huff.

Not saying these 'characters' are doing that but they certainly aren't giving the 'change' (which isn't really a change and won't affect people much unless they are habitually rude and unpleasant) much of go - not even one day and they're giving up already?

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    User names will be reviewed on an ad-hoc basis if a problem is perceived with allowances made for long-term users.
    I know that we often refer to forum addiction Frank, but there's no need to rub it in!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreaming Diva View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a goodie, goodie I must say that I totally agree with everything in this post.

I've just read the rules document, and am quite surprised that anyone could take exception to anything in them. They seem quite clear and more than fair to me. Indeed, they just seem to reflect common decency and politeness. But, even if there were the odd unpalatable one, I would still agree that if that is what Franck wants, then its up to him.

On the positive side, there is now a document which defines best practice - there could however, be a down side for those who worry that they are not masters of linguistics as they may be put off posting for fear that their point may be misconstrued as offensive, or their words may inadvertantly break some rule or other. I don't think I'm putting this very well ..... which is the point I'm trying to make.
    I think you put it very well.

Can't anyone hear that Frank is just saying that nothing has changed - it's all the same as before, they've just decided to be fair and tell us what they're doing rather than imposing it without our prior knowledge? Why are people so upset at being told to be polite to other forumites?

As Diva says, I too have gained hugely from this forum, and for that I'm thankful. There's plenty of room on here for debate, arguement and loveyness too - just let people be what they want to be.

Am sure this is all a storm in a teacup...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Not saying these 'characters' are doing that but they certainly aren't giving the 'change' (which isn't really a change and won't affect people much unless they are habitually rude and unpleasant) much of go - not even one day and they're giving up already?
    What a day that was! Two infraction points and told off by headmaster David James. With a bit of luck I'll be getting six of the best from Lory by the end of the week

What a day that was! Two infraction points and told off by headmaster David James. With a bit of luck I'll be getting six of the best from Lory by the end of the week
    Well I suggest you get thee to the dungeon in that case!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Why are people so upset at being told to be polite to other forumites?
    Because, before, it was all based on trust. I didn't need Franck to tell me "Mi casa, su casa", I knew and behaved accordingly.

I liked this forum, because Franck ran it wisely, and was wonderfully welcoming to people who danced at organisations other than Cerocâ„¢. In the meantime, other fora fell by the wayside because of overactive moderation.

I'm miffed, because it seems that some idiots have spoiled it for the rest of us. The trust has gone & this has become somewhat of a "nanny state". (In my opinion, that is). And everything has been reduced to the lowest common denominator where (for instance) whitterings about what a scaffolder is doing on the M25 are viewed as more acceptable than passionate talk about dancing and Cerocâ„¢ policy. I, for one, will miss the characters and more intelligent banter - even if things got a little heated at times. Ymmv, natch.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Well I suggest you get thee to the dungeon in that case!
    Are there thpiders, mythstress?
    I loves thpiders

Commercial Operator

I, for one, will miss the characters and more intelligent banter - even if things got a little heated at times. Ymmv, natch.
    If all the clever people go, can I be called brains?*

*In a world of the blind a one eyed man is King**

** Or maybe King Sexy...

I think the rules are fine - they seem sensible and clear. I can't see how they are going to have the effect of "ruining" the forum by changing it's character. They are clearly intended to preserve that character.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    I'm miffed, because it seems that some idiots have spoiled it for the rest of us.
    I don't think they've turned it into a "nanny state". A situation has arisen where it makes sense to clarify what is acceptable. Everyone has different perspectives on what is acceptable but it's Franck's forum and it's his perspective that counts. All he's done is make that perspective clear to everyone to prevent any future misunderstandings. I'm no fan of "school prefects" telling me how to think, and I'll challenge them if they try, but I can see no suggestion of that here. Franck has shown considerable courage by granting the moderators freedom to interpret the rules and the right to express their personal opinions in their own posts. That means there are going to be misunderstandings and mistakes as the rules and methods of dealing with issues are defined by experience; if anyone has got a problem with a decision that is communicated privately it seems polite to try and sort it out privately with the moderator concerned or Franck himself. In my opinion, "school villains" who trumpet about their punishments are every bit as tedious as "school prefects".

I, for one, will miss the characters and more intelligent banter - even if things got a little heated at times.
    I'm quite sure that there are sufficient characters with enough intelligence and wit to continue both the banter and the interesting, dance focussed posts. If a few people drift off then so be it - that happens naturally in any event. I hope and expect that explicit rules, which are far from draconian, will mean the forum gets stronger: more friendly; more welcoming; more supportive; more informative. I, for one, will continue to express strong, forthright opinions when I feel it appropriate and to challenge other members; there's no rule against that as long as it's done without denigrating other people's opinions or characters.

It's clear that "heated discussion" remains perfectly acceptable and it's equally clear that insults are not. That seems fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    If all the clever people go, can I be called brains?
    Only if I can be called Virgil

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by JonD View Post
    Only if I can be called Virgil

On the subject of Franck's new rules. I've been posting on here for years and have a very good idea what Franck disapproves of. And I post with that in mind. I believe that the new rules are simply a written down version of the rules that have been in Franck's head for some time and pretty much those that he's operated by. And I agree with those rules: even if I didn't agree with the rules I would agree with Franck's rights to make up whatever rules he liked for his Forum.

What I do not agree with is the way that David James, in particular, is interpreting the rules and operating as a moderator. And that is not simply because he's given me an infraction for something I'd have got away with in the past David is behaving like the headmaster's pet. A great deal of his posting is very different from how it was before he became a moderator. Yesterday he actually said "sowwy" when I pointed this out to him, so there is hope

My advice to David is to forget he's a moderator and go back to posting like a Forumite. Once in a while he'll read something he doesn't like, or believes that other people wouldn't like, he could remind himself that he's got the power to do something about it. But, even then, I believe he should think carefully before acting. One of the great things about having power is not knowing when to use it, it is knowing when you should not use it.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What I do not agree with is the way that David James, in particular, is interpreting the rules and operating as a moderator.
    Andy, you've persistently referred to this comment and my alleged "headmasterly" behaviour. To clarify, my "I've got my eyes on you" comment was a joke, OK? I apologised for it - now, please, let it drop.

Thread Information