Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forum Rules

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Forum Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Something I was toying with based on David James concept of sharing old threads that were useful and Beowulf's ressurecting a thread a while back was ressurecting old technical threads I found useful while trawling to see
    a) if those who'd originally posted had changed their minds, had new concepts etc
    b) what the members who weren't round when it started had to say.

I only really had technical dance threads in mind. Is this "bumping"?
    Bumping is mostly in the 'intention' of the bumper rather than the actual resurrecting of aging threads. In your example, your motives would be to bring an interesting topic up for discussion. In that case you have the option to start a new thread or use an old one. Again, moderators' discretion will apply.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I only really had technical dance threads in mind. Is this "bumping"?
    Nope - typically, it's "bumping as disguised advertising" that's the problem.

Honestly, I don't think this is a big deal, we're not going to go round all the time as the Bump Police or something. But occasionally, yes, you see threads mysteriously re-appear, with no new information in them, so we reserve the right to take moderation action if required.

I'm a big fan of thread recycling - e.g. it'd be nice in the "Birthday" threads - as this is a great way of preserving and promoting information. Again, recycling is not bumping, and please feel free to recycle as and when appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    In a nutshell,
    Franck's forum.
    Franck's rules.
    And a huge Thank You Franck for all his efforts.
    What's "My gaff, my rules" in French?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    But occasionally, yes, you see threads mysteriously re-appear, with no new information in them, so we reserve the right to take moderation action if required.
    Hmmm, tricky if someone is "recycling" polls and just ticks a box without posting a comment?

In response to various gripes,
    The way I see it...

This is Franck's forum. He's devoted a whole lot of time, effort and resources into making this forum what it is. And he's kindly extended us the privilege of using this forum.

If he feels a need to provide this set of rules, to help keep the forum running in the spirit which he intends, that's up to him. We're all different, and he can't make things to suit all of us - but as the guy who's done such a great job of running the forum for so long, if he reckons a change of any kind is needed, I can't think of any reason not to trust his judgement.

At the end of the day, he has every right to do what he likes with his forum, and we have every right to choose not to use it if we don't like his decisions. The fact that he's devoted so much time and effort to make it suit as many of us as possible is not something to be overlooked (and I'd be surprised if the subscription fees even came close to covering this)

In a nutshell,
    Franck's forum.
    Franck's rules.
    And a huge Thank You Franck for all his efforts.
    I dont think there gripes just clarifcation and people are entitled to their opinions. clearly there has always been a set of unwritten rules and time will tell. from a reading they look onerous but that maybe wrong

It would be a sad day if we had a situation like when a certain individual made a complaint at a weekender and the response was 'there is the exit you know how to use it'

ceroc i assume subsidise this forum ?

The Forum Legend

In a nutshell,
    Franck's forum.
    Franck's rules.
    And a huge Thank You to Franck for all his efforts.
    I wouldn't disagree with this in any way at all.

That doesn't necessarily mean that everything the he does is right. And there have been instances in the past, where he's done something, people have posted about it, and it's been reversed, or otherwise altered.

When I said that I think that it's the wrong thing to do, I've said it because I believe that it is. No big fuss. Franck can agree, or disagree, or whatever.

In no way posting what I did should be taken to mean anything other than that. And I know that Franck wouldn't have. I've disagreed with him before. He'll get it right all the time eventually (with more training).

Blog Entries

Re: "Boiler room" area?

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Infractions and forum rules it does see accademic
    Yeah, we're all power-crazed fools who like nothing more than infracting and banning members to start off a day.

Come on people, keep a sense of perspective OK? None of us moderators (no, not even me) likes giving out warnings and infractions; we think carefully on each one, and usually discuss them. I personally would much rather not have to do too much moderation.

But the job of moderators is to moderate - and anyone who's been a member of another forum should realise that this state of affairs is normal.

P.S. I moved these posts to this thread as it seemed more appropriate.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    Bumping is mostly in the 'intention' of the bumper rather than the actual resurrecting of aging threads. In your example, your motives would be to bring an interesting topic up for discussion. In that case you have the option to start a new thread or use an old one. Again, moderators' discretion will apply.
    Fair enough - I've been used to the term "bumping" as being a general one, not specifically referring to malevolent resurrection of threads. Since I looked at the term that way, the opening sentence of the rule - "Participants may not bump threads" - got up my nose a bit.

Personally I don't think enough threads get bumped (in the general sense of the term) here - too many good ones die before their time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    That doesn't necessarily mean that everything the he does is right. And there have been instances in the past, where he's done something, people have posted about it, and it's been reversed, or otherwise altered.
    I think we'd all appreciate some constructive suggestions as to the wording, structure and content of the Forum Rules.

I'm still waiting for the first one of those suggestion on this thread, however...

It would be a sad day if we had a situation like when a certain individual made a complaint at a weekender and the response was 'there is the exit you know how to use it'
    It would indeed, but come on - what on Earth gives you the impression that "opinions would be suppressed"?

For example, look at my (and other) numerous rants about the DJ staffing policy on CJ's thread; not exactly a Ceroc of Nine broadcast is it?

ceroc i assume subsidise this forum ?
    Franck pays for it, I believe - I don't think Ceroc HQ pays for it at all.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Personally I don't think enough threads get bumped (in the general sense of the term) here - too many good ones die before their time.
    As with people, romances, bands, movies, dance venues, endangered species, and cars. Yet again the forum shows an almost poetic ability to mirror life in the outside world.

I think I've had too much coffee today.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

ooh rules

Our goal will be to treat our members as we would wish to be treated.
    Other than these rules, we have no way of knowing how the moderators wish to be treated. Ive heard er...things...about DavidJames tastes.

Please think before you post and re-read what you type before you post it.
    really? i'll never manage that!!

Keep your comments limited to the debate at hand
    oh dear....I'll get me coat.

in an atmosphere of mutual respect
    as long as its just an "atmosphere" we are aiming for, it may be attainable

3. You may not post adverts on the forum. Events & classes can be discussed and links supplied as a reply to a specific request, provided the requests are not artificially manufactured by organisers or friends. Any 'reviews' posted by organisers or crew will also be deemed to be advertising and removed at the discretion of the Ceroc Scotland Forum team.
    To be serious for a second, I hope this is not going to be taken too literally. Posts discussing a good event without bias should be allowed even if it IS from crew - I can understand blatant advert placing but a thread asking who is going to something has to be expected if we are going to have any sort of decent "dance community forum". We are all members of this same dance community. My suggestion would be to leave "possible" adverts for a time to see if there is actual general interest, if its not unwelcome by the people using the forum - why would it be removed?

in an attempt to defeat any censors put in place by the Ceroc Scotland Forum.
    does this include ***** and the like ? not that i would really use that - bo11ox maybe

Bumping can refer to posting useless information,
    when I do this, I'm usually trying to be funny

Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled.
    allofmp3.com is NOT illegal and should be encouraged. Until it turns out it is illegal.

Hijacking threads (getting far off topic) for the purpose of discussing a lifestyle issue, religious issue, discussing someone's sexual preference, or bashing another member is strictly prohibited.
    In the past this has been a natural progression and wandering threads have ended up being split by the moderators into a new thread. Are the moderators no longer going to split threads?

Flame baiting is not allowed. What is 'flame baiting'? It means posting a topic or something with the intention of triggering a flame war, or one that invites flames in reply. It's equivalent to inviting someone to troll.
    hmm I thought flamebaiting was the very definition of "troll" ?

Any attempts to defraud or deceive our members may result in your account being suspended.
    Bang goes April Fools day And farewell to Tramps EXTREMELY DECEITFUL beginner dancer claims. Farewell Trampy, we will have a minutes silence tomorrow.

I note no mention of "Agony Smurf" becoming the official question and answer area. A mere oversite Im sure.

Blog Entries

poking head briefly over the parapit to brave posting - as I have to admit that since this heavy moderation policy, I don't feel at all comfortable or welcome here anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by the "sign or be damned" page
    Upon registration members are asked for a username to identify themselves to others in the community when they post. This may be your real name or any screen name you may choose but should not contain profanity or be a derivative of a business name or otherwise in violation of out Terms & Conditions. However, any username deemed inappropriate by the administrator may be removed and a change of username effected.
    So what's going to happen to Ceroc™ (business name) Jock (sometimes used as a derogatory term for Scots) now?

Also - surely bumping can be a good thing? Or do we now encourage the starting of millions of new threads? What would be better is if all polls had an expiry date - the only times I get annoyed by "bumping" is when someone's voted on an ancient poll without adding anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    I think we'd all appreciate some constructive suggestions as to the wording, structure and content of the Forum Rules.
    Ach - a moot point, David. Surely, if that was the intention, then there would've been some review before we had to sign our souls away to be able to post?

....goes back to lurking in relative safety.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    What's "My gaff, my rules" in French?
    'mon gaff, mes regles', according to the local translation service (aka Mac Mini), why?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    poking head briefly over the parapit to brave posting - as I have to admit that since this heavy moderation policy, I don't feel at all comfortable or welcome here anymore...
    I still love you, although obviously in a platonic way, me being heterosexual and all.

Also - surely bumping can be a good thing? Or do we now encourage the starting of millions of new threads? What would be better is if all polls had an expiry date - the only times I get annoyed by "bumping" is when someone's voted on an ancient poll without adding anything.
    Look, I repeat, we're not going to be Bump Fascists, OK? You're all worrying way too much about this one thing.

Ach - a moot point, David. Surely, if that was the intention, then there would've been some review before we had to sign our souls away to be able to post?
    This is the best way to bring it to people's attention. We did a "low-profile release" with the Forum Disclaimer - which said a similar sort of thing but was far more draconian, I know as I wrote it - and people have just ignored it.

The rules are not set in stone, and I'm sure any sensible suggestions and contributions will be considered.

Blog Entries

So what's going to happen to Ceroc™ (business name) Jock (sometimes used as a derogatory term for Scots) now?
    User names will be reviewed on an ad-hoc basis if a problem is perceived with allowances made for long-term users.
    That was just me being too efficient, I didn't mean to activate the rules acceptance part immediately, meant to wait until we'd discussed them a bit first!

As DavidJames said, the forum rules document will evolve with the mood of the forum and the needs created as we grow. The current aim is to clarify the rules for everyone and to make the job of moderators easier as well as all their decisions more consistent.
    Franck.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Please be assured, the rules are merely a guideline for us all to work towards and not an automated service.. they can only be enforced by one of us moderators and we're not all together without reason and compassionate judgement!

A couple of us even posses a sense of humour!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Meh! You expect me to believe that, after DavidJames' post above?

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Which 2 is that then Lory?

Incidentally, in a phone call with the Great One* just now, we've decided on one further update to the rules.

Anyone referring to him, shall use the title "Great One". Effective immediately!

*Franck. The Great One.

Meh! You expect me to believe that, after DavidJames' post above?
    I think she meant her & me.

Thanks Lory.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I predict alot of 'Characters' disappearing from this forum now. I already know of 3 that have told me they are leaving. It seems a shame as it has been so much fun for me on here and to be honest without all the banter I don't think i'd find it so entertaining. Some of us only come on for that reason and not to talk about the serious issues. Only time will tell i guess, as its 'The Great One's' Forum it's up to him how it is run.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I predict alot of 'Characters' disappearing from this forum now. I already know of 3 that have told me they are leaving. It seems a shame as it has been so much fun for me on here and to be honest without all the banter I don't think i'd find it so entertaining. Some of us only come on for that reason and not to talk about the serious issues. Only time will tell i guess, as its 'The Great One's' Forum it's up to him how it is run.
    I don't see anything in the rules that would stop banter and as Lory said, moderators and myself will be using our judgement.
    Any established 'Character' worried about the forum rules would only have to worry if they were planning to change their behaviour significantly. Nothing is new, the only difference is the rules are there for all to see. So if I hadn't implemented the forum rules today, those posters would still have received infractions but might not have been sure why.
    Franck.

Thread Information