Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: (men) multiple spinning and spotting

Commercial Operator

Re: Men dancing as followers

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Out of interest, besides Nina, who else have you taken spinning lessons from? I did like Nina's class, so it'd be good to know who else gives spinning lessons.
    I normally (when not recovering from surgery) go to the local gym once a week for a half-hour lunchtime spinning class. They have them daily, and the instructor is very good.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    You can't spin with any speed if you spot.
    Good thing no-one told the ballet contingent about that one

(and to feel truly humbled, take a look at this)

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Good thing no-one told the ballet contingent about that one

Notice on the second vid she doesn't spot on the first he does. Back to the original point that caused these problem. Don't spot - Works for some, Not for most

Still stand by that comment

The Forum Legend

I looked really closely at it. At least 3 times. And couldn't see the handle used to turn her anywhere.....

Commercial Operator

Notice on the second vid she doesn't spot on the first he does. Back to the original point that caused these problem. Don't spot - Works for some, Not for most

Look again. She's very clearly spotting.

I wasn't suggesting your way doesn't work for you. What I was doing was taking issue with your statement: 'You can't spin with any speed if you spot.'. My technique for taking issue with it was to show a video of someone spinning with speed while spotting. Sorry if I failed to make this clear.

Spotting is simply an advanced technique that is much harder to learn than simply spinning, but which, once learned, affords some great benefits.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    I looked really closely at it. At least 3 times. And couldn't see the handle used to turn her anywhere.....
    lol.

She's not a small girl either.

While I'm sympathetic to your message, I'd say that the girl in the second video does spot.

Since originally getting neg-repped for telling someone (I think it was a beginner?) not to bother learning to spot to improve her spinning, I've thought about the whole spinning/spotting thing a great deal more...

My thoughts:
    • when learning to spin just once, don't bother with spotting;
    • if doing multiple-spins, spotting might help;
    • spotting in MJ (and similar dances) is not the same as in ballet;
    • if you do spot, spot on your partner;
    • be prepared to stop not facing the same way you were previously.

I'd also repeat what I said then – ballet-style spotting looks weird.

Disclaimer: no-one has ever paid me to teach them how to spin, or anything else dance-related, and I don't do multiple spins either. Tutus may go down as well as up.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Look again. She's very clearly spotting.

I wasn't suggesting your way doesn't work for you. What I was doing was taking issue with your statement: 'You can't spin with any speed if you spot.'. My technique for taking issue with it was to show a video of someone spinning with speed while spotting. Sorry if I failed to make this clear.

Spotting is simply an advanced technique that is much harder to learn than simply spinning, but which, once learned, affords some great benefits.
    Ok im ob wrong about the spotting with speed thing.

Have looked very closley at the vid and dont think she is, but the quality is poor and I can't really be sure. Looks as though it might even be looped.

Quote from the website you pointed out

Important facts about spotting:
    • Spotting is a common technique used for spins, but it is not the only one. Other techniques used in modern ballroom dancing include maintaining a strong shape to the left or right, or even looking straight up at the ceiling!
    • Spotting can help reduce dizziness to a limited degree, but the best way to overcome problems with dizziness is through experience, by simply getting the body accustomed to spinning.

Thing is and no one has mentioned this. Spotting can be damaging to the neck if not done properly. Last thing I want to do is be responsible for damaged necks.

If you are learning, give it a go both ways, still think you will find it easier not to spot. Ballet dancing is fine, but the other thing with MJ is we need to hold a different shape whilst spinning!!

Commercial Operator

I think there is a new generation of modern jivers comming in to the MJ world. Ones where the men do spin, do have a bit of style and do have musicality same with the women.
    Interesting assertion. Thing is, from my perspective, a spin (multiple or otherwise) is a move. It can be done well, or badly, with great style and/or musicality, or without. It can be done in a way which directly involves and cares for your partner, or it can be done in a way which doesn't. One shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that 'flash' moves are inherently stylish. Style comes not from what you do, but how you do it.

Don't think this is liked much.
    In my experience, most MJ people, whether they're new to the scene, or have been there a while, welcome style and musicality and connection. Some do not, but this no more true of the 'old generation' as it is of the 'new'.

Commercial Operator

Looks as though it might even be looped.
    Doesn't it just? It isn't, though...

Thing is and no one has mentioned this. Spotting can be damaging to the neck if not done properly. Last thing I want to do is be responsible for damaged necks.
    Well - don't be then. It does need to be taught properly, yes - so let others do that I'm not asking you to teach it or embrace spotting yourself - just to accept that it does have value as a dance technique.

Ballet dancing is fine, but the other thing with MJ is we need to hold a different shape whilst spinning!!
    It's not exclusively a ballet thing. It's a technique used throughout many many forms of dance (look here for a very subtle example - you have to look closely to see it, but some of the spins done are indeed spotted - it's not overt, and it's a far cry from ballet styling.

Re: (men) multiple spinning and spotting

Spotting is just a nice to have.

It's much more important to start off concentrating on maintaining a strong axis -- and spinning on the spot. And keeping the arms in close.

SpinDr

P.S. A few notes: http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/lat...and_turns.html

Have been reading this thread with interest, as along with several others I am a proffessionally trained dancer - although my training was a while ago. I could try and sit on the fence, but I must advocate spotting as the safest method in general for spinning - In my humble opinion.
    It is very impressive that Woodface can do 7 spins, but I am sure he is in the minority and that most men and women would stop at 2 or 3. When spinning for 1, 2 or 3 turns then spotting is the best way to stop dizziness, maintain balance and control your turn.
    However, I think that most people when they think about spotting, have an stern image of a ballerina whipping her head around with force, and although that is where spotting originates - modern dancing doesn't need to use this technique to its extreme - as ballet is a very disciplined and meticulous form of dance. I have a much more relaxed spotting technique for MJ, than when I pirouette. My turns are completely different. And so some people have the opinion that spotting is old fashioned, that it looks funny and that it hurts the neck - not true if it is taught properly.

All the above - just my opinion. Thanks for playing.

Commercial Operator

I do it because it is the way I dance. Some plod, some bounce, some wiggle, some sway, some lean, some stand straight, some do walks, I spin.

Try dancing a diffrent style next time you dance. Try putting in an extra spin, or wiggling alittle more or doing a little bit of footwork. You might find it makes you a better dancer. then again you might not get on with it. You will never know untill you try.
    You know I like to put an extra wiggle now & again , and you know i love that old Cha cha cha footwork

But I have to be honest I cant spin more than 2 times, tried spotting and everything, couldnt do that either.....I am a little too old to cut it as a ballerina now, but I still have my sights set on becoming a prima donna.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have moved the discussions not related to spinning into a new thread to keep this one more on topic.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Great now back to the spinning debate.

I spin multi spins the way I do. It is hard to explain how to do it.

I don't spot but thats not to say that spotting isn't a good idea. It's just that it doesn't work for me.

Think at the end of the day, It's mainly in the way you hold yourself when you spin. IE you look up or down and you will tilt forwards or back, no matter how many spins you do.

But the best advise I can give anyone, and im hoping it's advice everyone will agree with lol, is try diffrent ways till you find what works for you.

Then practise!!!!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I spin multi spins the way I do. It is hard to explain how to do it.
    It's always tricky to describe dance.

But, and I speak earnestly, I really want to see the video, I think I could learn from it. And I'm in no position to make fun of it - 1.5 spins is normally my limit.

Woodface, as you are so good at spinning; can you give us all some advice how its done as i dont think any of us on the forum can match your ability.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    Woodface, as you are so good at spinning; can you give us all some advice how its done as i dont think any of us on the forum can match your ability.
    I did. Thats what got me into an argument. Read the thread.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Right.

Edited down a routine to show some of the spinning etc as have had alot of PM's asking how its done. Haven't done the easy thing and edited out the ones that went wrong (as stated before very hard to do multi spins in time and without traveling)

I know im going to get ripped to pieces by the very small minority on here but here goes

Please also bear in mind that it was before class and hence a proper warm up (done them much better later on but camera was off!!! )

Gonna be brave now. In my opinion, the spins you do when you just rotate 2 or 3 turns are far more attractive. I like your style and you did some really cool moves in that clip.
    The problem is that the turns you do aren't staying on the spot after the third rotation and therefore you risk bashing into people when you transfer your weight and carry on turning.

I honestly think you look better doing less turns and staying more in control. In my opinion.

Wouldn't say no to a dance !

Thread Information