Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: (men) multiple spinning and spotting

Re: (men) multiple spinning and spotting

If a guy spins 2 or 3 times, I watch and admire - my spinning is rubbish, you only get one but I at least try to make it a reasonable one.

If a partner was spinning for a whole bar, I think I'd probably get quite bored and go and get a drink.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    If a guy spins 2 or 3 times, I watch and admire - my spinning is rubbish, you only get one but I at least try to make it a reasonable one.

If a partner was spinning for a whole bar, I think I'd probably get quite bored and go and get a drink.
    I start looking at my (imaginary) watch and yawning...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't spin much - spinning doesn't happen in Tango and I'm useless at it anyway.

I also think the UK scene doesn't focus much on spinning - unlike the Australian scene - and I wonder if that's maybe a weakness. So more discussion about this area is a Good Thing.

I don't spot but then I also don't do multiple spins. In fact one of my favourite current moves is a slow single spin over 2 counts (turning under my partner's hand) I find it much easier to stay on balance doing this.

As regards what the follower might do whilst the leader spins, I recently have been working on a good intro for the leader into a free spin without disrupting the dance. I have found that leading a yoyo until the turn out of the right arm gives enough impetus and stability for me then to do a stable free spin. However the follow is receiving no lead at this point (even though the spin is just for 1 count) and I can't work out what kind of a lead I might give her in this situation so I will probably have to drop that one from the repertoire.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    I'd also say that genuinely being able to do 7 controlled spins (without paddling etc) is phenomenal - probably more than Amir can do, certainly more than I've ever seen any other man do.
    I've been assuming that both Woodface and Trampy aren't talking about seven spins on a single leg without paddling. Woodface says "The biggest problem is doing it without travelling" - it's near-impossible to travel if you're spinning on a single leg.

----

From another thread (because this spat is too big for one thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Woodface is less liberal and says his way is the only way.
    You've misread his advice. He specifically said that spotting "works for some".

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I have found that leading a yoyo until the turn out of the right arm gives enough impetus and stability for me then to do a stable free spin. However the follow is receiving no lead at this point (even though the spin is just for 1 count) and I can't work out what kind of a lead I might give her in this situation so I will probably have to drop that one from the repertoire.
    Try using a hatchback instead of a yo-yo, if you feel that's a problem.

Blog Entries

Re: Men dancing as followers

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I've just moved all the spinning posts to a thread of their own.
    I've also moved some of the posts from the "gay shoes" thread here, as it seems more appropriate to keep all the spinning "discussion" in one area.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    I'd also say that genuinely being able to do 7 controlled spins (without paddling etc) is phenomenal - probably more than Amir can do,
    Amir was discussing this during a lesson just a few weeks ago, saying that his record is 7, (or was it 9?) but he was really making the point, with some envy, about the person who currently holds the record, - 32!!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I've been assuming that both Woodface and Trampy aren't talking about seven spins on a single leg without paddling. Woodface says "The biggest problem is doing it without travelling" - it's near-impossible to travel if you're spinning on a single leg.
    Well, I'm kind of sceptical myself, I admit. But personally I've never counted paddle turns as true spinning - I've done more than 7 turns like that myself, but I certainly wouldn't boast about it when I can only occasionally manage a true double. Heck, if you allow paddle turns, I've done more than 7 turns with a partner balanced overhead (and not just in my avatar ).

There is a lot of (conflicting) advice about spinning -- a lot of it is useless -- sometimes it gets useful when you understand it.

I don't intentionally spot when spinning -- unless it's a slow single one-footed spin, or some angled type of turn.

Unintentionally, I do a sort of "double-spotting" -- spotting on a point in front and one behind -- this means that the head doesn't have to whip round 360 degrees -- but rather two separate lots of 180 degrees. This doesn't seem to make me as dizzy -- but also means that I finish facing my partner.

The best advice I would suggest is to spin anticlockwise on the left foot and clockwise on the right foot. This means that you can "cheat" the turn. It also helps if you "prep" the shoulders, as you cheat the turn -- this makes it much, much easier.

Ladies should use the time when the man's spinning to do some styling -- a hip roll, a body roll, a shimmy, etc.

SpinDr

P.S.
    Lee, our salsa teacher, will dance maybe 8 or so spins without paddling -- but then he's a European silver medalist.

i once heard that gay guys are generally better at spinning,

so all you experts ;; is it true?

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    i once heard that gay guys are generally better at spinning,

so all you experts ;; is it true?
    Oh, for ***. I never neg-rep but if I did I might be tempted to make this my first

Robd; chillout,it was only a question?

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    With regards to the 7 or so spins. I can do them without paddeling but all depends on the floor. Then im not the only one that can do them am I so it proves im not in some 'freakish class' all on my own.
    :shrug: All I can say is that I've seen many video clips from partner dancing (mainly from Salsa) where people have been going "check out the spin this guy does", and in general when you actually count the turns, it's only a triple, or a best a quad. (Couple of exceptions: Ben Morris does 6 spins in his WCS routine from 2004. I've seen a clip of Johnny Vasquez doing a big spin but you can't really count because the quality is so poor). In the MJ world, I've seen Viktor and Mick trying to out do each other spinning (don't think either got beyond 4) and the most I've seen from Amir is about 5. And that's the most I've ever seen or even heard claimed before this thread. So yeah, I'd say 7 is pretty darn unusual.

I will be very curious to see a video of you spinning.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

:shrug: All I can say is that I've seen many video clips from partner dancing (mainly from Salsa) where people have been going "check out the spin this guy does", and in general when you actually count the turns, it's only a triple, or a best a quad. (Couple of exceptions: Ben Morris does 6 spins in his WCS routine from 2004. I've seen a clip of Johnny Vasquez doing a big spin but you can't really count because the quality is so poor). In the MJ world, I've seen Viktor and Mick trying to out do each other spinning (don't think either got beyond 4) and the most I've seen from Amir is about 5. And that's the most I've ever seen or even heard claimed before this thread. So yeah, I'd say 7 is pretty darn unusual.

Will try and get one done later today. Thing is with that amount of spins, you have to have nigh on perfect conditions, floor, energy, dance partner etc. Im sure I have danced with other forumites on here where I have compleated that many spins.

being only a mere novice in the world of dance may i enquire as to when you might want to spin more then 3-4 times??? whats the norm for good dancers????

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHunt View Post
    being only a mere novice in the world of dance may i enquire as to when you might want to spin more then 3-4 times??? whats the norm for good dancers????

This was brought up eairler. Very rarely.

There is no norm for good dancers. Some spin once, some spin twice, some spin more. What ever is felt comfortable to the dancer.

can i ask, if your spinning anti clock wise are you on your left and clock wise on your right???

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHunt View Post
    can i ask, if your spinning anti clock wise are you on your left and clock wise on your right???
    Yep, though there are one or two moves that require the oposite.

Blog Entries

I also would be interested in seeing how it's done. Unless that meant going to Bromley of course.

OK, spinning's not exactly my scene, but I can always try to learn.

Thread Information