Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

Re: Is it just me?

I agree the forum has changed.

For the last 6 weeks there hasn't been any needless whinging.

Sure there's been some mudslinging, playful banter, name calling, heated debate and even a couple of offers to step outside. All of which IMHO help keep the forum interesting.

But thankfully no whinging.

The forum has changed. The whinging has returned.

Of course there have been no personal insults or nasty comments on this forum in the last few months. C'mon people, get a grip!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post

Sure there's been some mudslinging, playful banter, name calling, heated debate and even a couple of offers to step outside. All of which IMHO help keep the forum interesting.

What a helpful post this is - not. A few people have the temerity to post their views and you label it "needless whinging". Perhaps not everyone wants the forum to be 'interesting'. It's exactly posts like this that stop people from sharing their view.

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    What a helpful post this is - not. A few people have the temerity to post their views and you label it "needless whinging". Perhaps not everyone wants the forum to be 'interesting'. It's exactly posts like this that stop people from sharing their view.
    I believe that was the point. That is SilverFox's opinion. That this post is about whinging. Whether you agree with it or not. Now you are doing attacking. And if SilverFox can't voice that opinion, then you are quite right: "It's exactly posts like this that stop people from sharing their view."

As it is, I disagree. There's been quite a bit of whinging recently But that's normal. People like a good whinge. They like a good argument too (well, some of them do). And whilst some people might not want the forum to be 'interesting', some of them do. I believe the majority of them do, in fact. So it's unfair to say "we should put a stop to it". That is also "stop[ing] people from sharing their view[s]."

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    I believe that was the point. That is SilverFox's opinion. That this post is about whinging. Whether you agree with it or not. Now you are doing attacking. And if SilverFox can't voice that opinion, then you are quite right: "It's exactly posts like this that stop people from sharing their view."

As it is, I disagree. There's been quite a bit of whinging recently But that's normal. People like a good whinge. They like a good argument too (well, some of them do). And whilst some people might not want the forum to be 'interesting', some of them do. I believe the majority of them do, in fact. So it's unfair to say "we should put a stop to it". That is also "stop[ing] people from sharing their view[s]."
    It is one thing to disagree with a post and another to label it whinging - as if it is therefore invalid.

Would you like to suggest why you believe that a majority of people want the forum to be 'interesting'.

It is one thing to disagree with a post and another to label it whinging - as if it is therefore invalid.
    'Whinging, whining, aggressive, insulting, heated, unfriendly, or 'unconstructive'" There have been a lot of labelling here, not just from SilverFox. Yourself included. So I am afraid I don't see your point. If someone thinks you are whining, that's their opinion. Just as it was LMC's opinion that a lot of posts were unnecessarily insulting.

Would you like to suggest why you believe that a majority of people want the forum to be 'interesting'.
    Of course. I got my statistics here: The Forum Temperature Poll. Where I believe a total of 12 out of 42 people voted that it was too 'interesting'.

As it is, I disagree. There's been quite a bit of whinging recently But that's normal. People like a good whinge.
    I don't think there has been much more or less whinging recently than any other time. It depends on your concept of whinging and your recollections on how things were in the past.
    And whilst some people might not want the forum to be 'interesting', some of them do. I believe the majority of them do, in fact.
    Depends also on your view of 'interesting'. I know some people found the GaG threads 'interesting' when they were full of unprovoked and at times nasty personal attacks. Anyone who said as much were seen as 'not joining in the fun'.

When I joined the forum (3 years ago) there were plenty of 'heated' debates and at times personal attacks. And yes, there were people arguing for the sake of it, trying to score points by personal insults, twisting other people's posts, and just stirring.

I would say the discussions at times got more heated than they are now, which is why I haven't voted on the forum temperature poll. There was more heat then, but generally less unpleasantness, at least thats how it seems. But as I said, recollection can be unreliable.

Commercial Operator

Have some rep.

Are you whinging again Foxy

Commercial Operator

What time do you call this? We should both be in bed. Not necessarily together...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    What time do you call this? We should both be in bed. Not necessarily together...
    arrrr, why not

Getting into practice for Southport, I was dancing to the 'snake' tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Stuff removed by David James because it was insulting but it's been quoted by Andy.

So, I agree with LMC, debate is fine, but things have got decidely nasty of late All hail the great 'igbore' option which has made the Forum palatable once more
    It is ironic that in a thread about whether the forum is getting nastier there are posts concerning physical violence to others and I'm pleased to see it was removed. Whether it was meant seriously or not, this kind of post is as bad as the personal and insulting comments. It has no place in the process of debate.
    If you are concerned about the forum getting nasty and the lack of respect towards others then first look at your own posts with a little more self reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by dance cat View Post
    It is ironic that in a thread about whether the forum is getting nastier there are posts concerning physical violence to others and I'm pleased to see it was removed. Whether it was meant seriously or not, this kind of post is as bad as the personal and insulting comments. It has no place in the process of debate.
    If you are concerned about the forum getting nasty and the lack of respect towards others then first look at your own posts with a little more self reflection.
    The comment about physical violence was made tongue in cheek but mainly used to illustrate the point that if some of those coments have been made face to face, quite likely, it WOULD lead to physical violence. If you wouldn't say something to someone in the real world I don't think you should feel safe by flaming someone in the cyberworld (IMHO).

Agreed, the comment I made was on the strong side and I thanked DJ for his moderating (think the new approach is working well) so I agree that the posting was ill advised ... but I was provoked gov, honest.

The comment about physical violence was made tongue in cheek
    I don't believe that, it isn't the first time you've made a comment like that.

but I was provoked gov, honest.
    No actually you weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    Blah Blah Blah
    Who died and made you God?

Blog Entries

Sis,, pass me the popcorn...

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Sis,, pass me the popcorn...
    Honestly, I go away for a few days and all hell breaks loose.

Who died and made you God?
    shouldn't we be asking you that question Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Honestly, I go away for a few days and all hell breaks loose.
    'hell' 'god' goodness this is all to much for a Sunday

Hey DT looks like they managed it with out you for a change

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    shouldn't we be asking you that question Gus

'hell' 'god' goodness this is all to much for a Sunday

Hey DT looks like they managed it with out you for a change

I'm deeply hurt and offended by that comment.

And the impact is.....

Was wondering. Given some of the 'robust' postings made, doesn't this as a consequence limit the discussion on the Forum. I know it can sometimes be entertaining, and I'm not without sin of biting back if someone has riled me, but I think many moderate members of the Forum may avoid posting anything even slightly contentious for fear of retribution. I spent a few minutes writing a post on a freestyle I recently went to. However I deleted it rather than post it as I knew that, as I'd expressed a personal view as to the format and music, I'd probably just get flamed so thought 'whats the point'

Thread Information